store items | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-30-2011, 01:09 PM
store items

Hey ladies,

its tanya, i have my hysterectomy on june 21st. and i was looking in the store trying to find items to make this a little bit bearable. about the abdominal binder, i have no idea what size to get?! im 5'5 142 lbs...i want to get it, but not sure on size? any ideas...also, in the store, what do u ladies plan on getting? also, since the date is getting closer. im feeling almost depressed, loike im grieving the loss of noit being able to have any more children. like i said, i just turned 30, and i have 2 beautiful girls, chloe 4, and emma 14 months.
my husband always said were done, but since me having hystectomy, i almost feel like im grieving..is that weird? i dont know, i think im just venting a bit...anyways, thank for listening.. if you guys could give me some suggestions on store, and what items i shoiuld get or pass would be wonderful!! and size options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Re: store items

Hi Tanya,

I was going to buy different things for my hyster. but after talking with my Dr. at my pre-op she informed me that I really did not need to buy all that stuff because it would be given to me at the hospital. So I am glad I saved my money, I did have to ask for these items though, I asked for a belly binder and the mesh panties (she gave me 5 and they are really comfy). I did buy gas-x and stool softeners. They sent me home with a month supply of softeners so I did not need those but the gas-x is a deff. need. Good luck to you and hoping you have a speedy recovery!
Unread 05-30-2011, 03:16 PM

Things I have purchased for my recovery:

Comfortable bras - purchased the one's on this site as well as a couple made by Spanyx. They're very comfy and can be worn while sleeping or laying around with great comfort but still gives me enough support to be seen by others.

Sun dresses - bought 3 so I'll have the option to wear something that doesn't touch my belly. They're soft cotton and can double as a nightgown too. I'm wearing one to and from the hospital.

T-shirts - 3 over sized T's for lounging around (bought 1 size bigger than I normally wear). Bought at Walmart for $3 a piece!

Shorts - 3 soft cotton w/draw string. Walmart $5 each.

Jammies - 1 set very soft cotton shorts w/tank.

Bella Bands - 3 extra long tube top like bands (from Ebay) that when doubled will provide support for my belly.

Stool softener - the kind you mix w/juice or other drink.

Gas-X

Carmex

Deoderant - trial size for hospital

Face wipes - for hospital and afterwards to feel fresh if not feeling up to showering

Flushable wipes - placed in bathroom for the obvious

Bandaids - for my belly after surgery (read that maybe surgical tape would have been better)

I also stocked up on household goods so that my hubby's shopping list will be more maneagable over the next few weeks. Things such as TP, paper towels, shampoo/conditioner, laundry soap/softner/bleach, dish soap, garbage bags, bar soap, tooth paste, also soft drinks/crystal lite/water/juice.

Things I've modified for recovery:

Put hooks on the side of my vanity in bathroom to hang blow dryer and flat iron so I don't have to bend to reach them.

Moved my jammy drawer up and rearranged drawers for easy access to items I will be wearing.

Cleaned my closet and arranged clothing for easy access and moved sandals and slip on shoes to the front.

Set up my recovery areas in my bedroom and family room complete with thank you cards and a notebook to keep track of meds, visitors, misc. notes.

Subscribed to Netflix and set up through our Wii for on demand viewing.

I also made arrangements for meals 3Xweek for the first couple weeks. My CRHP (Chris Renews His Parish) sisters will be helping with this.

I've cleaned my house from top to bottom w/exception of my kitchen which I'll be doing this week.

Got my hair cut and will be getting a mani/pedi the Friday before I go in. Removing all polish from my hands, but will be painting my toes pretty pink with smiley faces on my big toes so they peek out at me during recovery!

We already have ice packs from previous injuries that I can use if needed.

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinpie1201 View Post
Hey ladies,

its tanya, i have my hysterectomy on june 21st. and i was looking in the store trying to find items to make this a little bit bearable. about the abdominal binder, i have no idea what size to get?! im 5'5 142 lbs...i want to get it, but not sure on size? any ideas...also, in the store, what do u ladies plan on getting? also, since the date is getting closer. im feeling almost depressed, loike im grieving the loss of noit being able to have any more children. like i said, i just turned 30, and i have 2 beautiful girls, chloe 4, and emma 14 months.
my husband always said were done, but since me having hystectomy, i almost feel like im grieving..is that weird? i dont know, i think im just venting a bit...anyways, thank for listening.. if you guys could give me some suggestions on store, and what items i shoiuld get or pass would be wonderful!! and size options
Hi Punkinpie.

I bought the soft cup bras which are a godsend. I had no idea the swelling would be so high up and the underwire bras are way to uncomfortable. I also order the Grabber which comes in handy for picking up things because you do not want too much bending anytime soon.

Also, have lots of water, soup, broth and teas. The anestesia and painkillers are going to constipate you so have bran cereal, prunes and other dried fruits handy. Resist the urge to use laxatives and enemas. Make sure your MD gives you stool softeners. Ask for your prescription for you pain meds before your surgery and have them at home a few days before your surgery. That way you will not have to miss a dose and suffer until you the meds filled.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinpie1201 View Post
Hey ladies,

Hi Punkinpie.

I bought the soft cup bras which are a godsend. I had no idea the swelling would be so high up and the underwire bras are way to uncomfortable. I also order the Grabber which comes in handy for picking up things because you do not want too much bending anytime soon.

Also, have lots of water, soup, broth and teas. The anestesia and painkillers are going to constipate you so have bran cereal, prunes and other dried fruits handy. Resist the urge to use laxatives and enemas. Make sure your MD gives you stool softeners. Ask for your prescription for you pain meds before your surgery and have them at home a few days before your surgery. That way you will not have to miss a dose and suffer until you the meds filled.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!
Smilies

[More]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register