Postmenopausal and started bleeding 4 weeks ago - has anyone had these symptoms and it was not a cancer? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Postmenopausal and started bleeding 4 weeks ago -  has anyone had these symptoms and it was not a cancer? Postmenopausal and started bleeding 4 weeks ago - has anyone had these symptoms and it was not a cancer?

Unread 08-20-2019, 10:50 PM
Postmenopausal and started bleeding 4 weeks ago - has anyone had these symptoms and it was not a cancer?

Hi! I’m 57 and about 4 yrs post menopausal. I had a few times during those years that I would spot for a few days. Nothing too major. Then last February I started spotting again and it got worse and worse and finally was like a full blown period. Had to buy tampons! So I bled for about a month before I could get in to see a gynecologist. Had a vaginal ultrasound, uterine wall 14 mm thick, normal would have been around 4 I think. She said that about 12% of women with postmenopausal bleeding have cancer and she thought my risk was probably around 20-25% based on my symptoms. I had a hysteroscopy and d&c two days later. She told my family she was “very concerned” it was cancer after getting a good look at it. So we all kind of freaked for a couple of days. Turns out, no cancer! It was simple hyperplasia with no atypia. And within a few days I felt great! No bleeding, no nothing. THen we decided it made sense to go ahead and get rid of that uterus. So I had uterus, cervix, and ovaries removed 6 weeks ago. I go tomorrow for my 6 wk po visit. I hope she sends me on my way for a year or so. I know it’s hard but try not to worry. Chances are highly in your favor that you do not have cancer! Read that last sentence again! Stay strong and try to save the worrying for when there’s actually something to worry about. And either way, you’ve got this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2019, 05:46 AM
Re: Postmenopausal and started bleeding 4 weeks ago - has anyone had these symptoms and it was not a cancer?

In my experience, I didn't realize I was post-menopausal because the bleeding picked up where the periods ended. I had some cramping, etc. I did not have fibroids or anything else - just a 2.8 cm tumor. If I could redo it, I would bring up the bleeding to my OB/GYN sooner. My oncologist estimated the bleeding had been from the cancer for at least a year. I had an ultrasound which should a thickening of the endometrium. I had a biopsy within a week and a diagnosis just days after that. I had my uterus, tubes, ovaries, and some lymph glands removed about 6 weeks later. Everything else tested clean.
That being said, try not to put the cart before the horse. I understand that it isn't easy. Take it one step at a time. We are here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register