8 years of HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 years of HRT 8 years of HRT

Unread 07-06-2006, 09:59 AM
8 years of HRT

I am 53 years young. I have been taking HRT for eight yeas now and contiue to bleed. I just has the Prometrium increased to 200mg. I swelled up like a balloon. I also have a continual pain in my back which wraps around my pelvic area. I feel like I am always trying to have a period of a baby. My Doctor and I decided that at this time in my life a hyst would be the best option. I just don't know. I also need a bladder suspension. What is the sexual response after all this is done? Does anyone know about bio identical hormones? Can post hyst women use bio identical hormones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2006, 10:22 PM
8 years of HRT

Hi!

I'm sorry that you are having so many miserable symptoms. I tried using Prometrium to control my bleeding but it didn't help. Still, it was worth trying! One never knows until trying if it will be the right solution for the problem.

It's understandable that you are questioning the need for surgery. It's good that you are here to do some research and ask your questions. If you haven't already gotten another medical opinion or two, it would be a good idea to do that. It can help you decide if having a hysterectomy really is your only option. I think women who have done their research and gotten several medical opinions are less likely to have regrets later.

I didn't have a bladder suspension but I did have a hysterectomy along with removal of my ovaries. Sexual response for me has been a mixed review. For a period of time I lost my libido and response but they returned after my hormones were finally balanced. Trouble is, hormone needs can change over time due to a variety of reasons. I've dealt with lost libido a couple of times. I consider myself one of the lucky ones because I was able to regain that aspect of my life. If there's any chance that you can keep your ovaries, that would be ideal. Even after menopause ovaries produce beneficial hormones which are free!

Post-op women can and do use bio-identical hormones. Bio-identicals happen to be my hormone therapy of choice! If you want to read up on bio-identical hormones, look at articles #10 and 11 in this link to the Hormone Jungle Articles. In a nutshell, bio-identical hormones are idential to hormones made by the ovaries. They are plant based (soy and yam) and come in a variety of doses and methods of delivery. In case you didn't know, Prometrium is a bio-identical progesterone.

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure you will do what's best for you.

s
Unread 07-07-2006, 07:12 AM
8 years of HRT

Thanks April I have been reading Suzanne Sommers book "The Sexy Years". Ihave been prescribed the bio identical hormones Estradiol and Prometrium. However I am not taking the doses she advocates which is much more estradiol than what I am taking. I wonder really if what she states in her book is accurate. Also she advocates a monthly period. I am not sure about that either. I haven't finished the book. Have you read her book? I just want to feel normal without a bunch of water gain and back pain. There is no disease in my uterus but it just wants to be 20 years old again. YUK

Emeraldann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register