Upcoming LAVH and young children | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming LAVH and young children Upcoming LAVH and young children

Unread 01-31-2011, 07:29 AM
Upcoming LAVH and young children

Hello! I am scheduled for my LAVH next week. I was just wondering if anyone around here had to have this done with young children in the house? I have a 9 year old and 4 year old, which are easy, but I do have a 6 month old special needs child.

I was wondering if you had this particular hysterectomy done, how long was it before you felt you could at least hold a little one, let alone how long it was before you could care for children all on your own again? Yes, I have plenty of help coming the first week and my mom is helping me as long as I need it, just wondering how long it might truly be? 6 month old is only 13 lbs. but has lots of Dr. appts. because of his heart condition, etc.
Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Re: Upcoming LAVH and young children

I had a lavh done on the 25th of jan. My daughter who is 3 sat on my lap the first night I was home. I have her climb up. So I don't see why you wouldn't be able to hold him on your lap it might be kinda hard to hold him on your belly. Have your mom place him in your arms but on your lap. Or you can law down on your bed and have him law next to you in your arms. I didn't have a problem with laying on my side from night one home.
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:35 AM

I think you should be able to hold the baby fairly quickly, but will have to wait a week or two before picking him up. You may find the dr appointments very tiring, particularly if you have a long wait. I would try to avoid scheduling more than one appointment per day, every other day for the first three weeks, and ideally none the first week. I found the first few days I didn't have much patience for the noise and activity level of my children, but that passed soon enough. My children are a bit older, but they both would bump into the chair I sat in repeatedly, which was jarring and unpleasant the first couple of days. By the end of the first week, you should be much improved, but still not picking up the baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2011, 04:22 PM

Thank you! How long was it before you felt you can take care of the kids on your own?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register