Just got a new job and need a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just got a new job and need a hysterectomy Just got a new job and need a hysterectomy

Unread 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Just got a new job and need a hysterectomy

Hi I just got a new job for a large company my start date is July 16th. I had a failed Novasure procedure today and it looks like I will need a hysterectomy now. I was told at the interview that I cant have time off for 6 months! Im not sure if I can wait 6 months. Now I live in NC I have not told the new enployer yet about this upcoming surgey because I don't want them to resind their job offer. Will I be fired for having the surgery? I think I need to be there 1 year to get FMLA right? I dont know what to do? I could stay at my current job that I hate ive been here since NOV so not 1 year yet. The new job is pretty much double the wage so I don't want to give this up but cant afford to be unemployed.

What is the recovery period for a hysterectomy?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Re: Just got a new job and need a hystorectomy

it really depends on what kind of hysterectomy you have...the recovery times are very different. if you've been told you can't take any time off at the new job, it's probably best you don't take it. you probably don't need to worry about FMLA either way though.
Unread 06-28-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue View Post
it really depends on what kind of hysterectomy you have...the recovery times are very different. if you've been told you can't take any time off at the new job, it's probably best you don't take it. you probably don't need to worry about FMLA either way though.

That's my worry, oh i wish the novasure had worked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2018, 05:39 PM

Any chance you could get the surgery right away and get your hire date delayed by 6 or 8 weeks? That’s one thought although I have no idea if it would be practical in your situation. Since your current job also isn’t covered by FMLA, it seems you are facing a dilemma no matter what. Have you gotten a second opinion on your GYN issues, by chance? That’s another thing to try if you haven’t already. I feel for you, these are hard decisions to make.
Unread 06-28-2018, 06:18 PM

Yes, you can be fired for taking what your employer considers to be excessive leave if you're not covered by FMLA, which you aren't. And accepting the new job without telling the new employer that you're going to need some weeks off for surgery is only going to tick them off and increase your chances of being fired. It's better to be upfront and honest about this.

The length of the recovery period depends on a number of things:
1) The type of surgery you have, abdominal, vaginal or laparoscopic.
2) Whether or not you keep your cervix.
3) Whether or not you have any complications during surgery or recovery. This factor is fairly unpredictable!
4) How much physical activity your job requires. The more physical activity, the more recovered you have to be before you can return.
5) Whether or not you can return part-time and/or on light duties. These accommodation may allow you to return earlier.
Unread 06-28-2018, 08:03 PM

I’m so sorry that you are facing such difficult decisions. It is correct that you have to be with an employer for 12 months and have worked a certain number of hours before being eligible for FMLA. I had a TAH BSO in May and am off work for 8 weeks, and need every single one of this days. Everyone’s recovery is different and is not something that can really be predicted. If it were me I’d be upfront with the new employer and see how it goes before resigning with the current employer. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register