dishes and food | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dishes and food dishes and food

Unread 02-12-2002, 05:33 PM
dishes and food

what do you think of smart ones and frozen vegatables for awhile when onthe road to recovery ? I just realized that cooking - even on my George Foreman Grill, would mean being on my feet for 10 minutes or more - now I am thinking I need to pre-cook my chicken breasts, so I can simply nuke quickly, and not worry about defrosting the chicken and seasoning them and cooking - (exhausted already)

is the dishwasher out - I have to bend down now to load and unload, and it sometimes bothers my back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2002, 06:03 PM
dishes and food

Hi ljblank:

I think the smart ones and frozen veggies are a great idea for a while. I also like some of the Healthy Choice meals and things of that sort. If cooking wears you out then a break is what you need (remember to listen to your body!!). These meals are good nutritionally as well. Try to eat fruits in between for snacks too!

If bending to empty the dishwasher is uncomfy, then again, listen to your body and give it a break. Perhaps you have someone who can stop by and help out, just putting dishes away can be a big help, and to most friends, it's no big deal to do that for a friend who just had surgery! The important thing is for you to get lost of rest, plenty of fliuds and walk too! You'll soon be able to get back to that dishwaher and then you'll wish for this break!! Consider using paper plates to cut down on dishes (and those frozen dinners!) and have a "one glass a day rule"! It's easier to rinse out one glass and re-use than to have to bend over the dishwasher!! Hope these "helpful hints" come in helpful to you!

Take care!!!!
Unread 02-12-2002, 06:12 PM
dishes and food

Hi There!

Ok, let's review the 'allowed/not allowed' list and see if we can find something about dishwashers.....

- Picking up pillows and repositioning them…..allowed
- Turning on dishwasher AFTER SOMEONE ELSE HAS LOADED IT…..allowed
- Changing roll of toilet paper…..allowed
- Flipping on lightswitch…..allowed
- Folding laundry…..allowed
- Taking short, easy walks and gentle stretching…..allowed
- Lifting the remote control…..allowed

X – Vacuuming…..NOT ALLOWED
X – Sweeping…..NOT ALLOWED
X – Carrying laundry across house to washer…..NOT ALLOWED
X – Lifting, Bending, Reaching, Driving…..NOT ALLOWED
X – Laying around the house all day doing nothing…..NOT ALLOWED
X – Making other people’s problems your own…..NOT ALLOWED

OOOPS! Looks to me like the dishwasher is off limits, unless all you're going to do is flip a switch.

Of course these are just guidelines/suggestions, all designed for a Pampered Princess!
Unread 02-12-2002, 06:28 PM
dishes and food

Something I found out the hard way...don't buy big bottles of juice or gallons of bottled water or milk....TOO HEAVY!!! My DH ended up having to pour out glasses of juice & water for me in advance and stored them in the fridge.

You're better off with paper plates, paper cups, plastic cutlery, and little bottles of water or juice boxes if you'll be alone during the day.

You may find that the little time up and moving in the kitchen is a nice break from resting after a couple of weeks, but I think laying in a supply of frozen stuff is essential!

Good luck!

Karen
Unread 02-13-2002, 07:30 AM
paper plates

what a good idea - I never use paper - I eat alone and have not sat at a table to eat in my house unless I had very important company - ie my mother and father - everyone else eats (if we do) off of my coffee table tinthe living room, or in the case of my visiting nieces and nephews, on snack trays---paper heaven here I come - I had already figured out that i will need to put a small garbage can onmy counter b/c I'll never be able to bend over to get the kitchen pail lid off (tough on a good day), swing the garbage bag around and then tie it up ---also paper garbage won't have to go out immediately (see, I will have something else for visitors to do - laundry and garbage --someone talkded about DH putting an ice chest thing together before he went to work, and I think that is a great idea - "everything in reach" I am g0oing to rummage through my cellar ad find my ice cooler (little igloo from college days) -probably have paper good s down there too
Unread 02-13-2002, 07:34 AM
gallon jugs

you know, who else would know to tell us these things - I feel like I will do well b/c of all the ideas and support that has got me thinking inthe right diredtion -ie I use a britta water pitcher, and i am thinking that it might be too heavy for me right out ofthe castle - my friend steven said don't fill it all the way, but you know, it is still heavy, and I think I will nix it until I'm back to normal - my tap water tastes fine, I just like having it on the counter ready to go ...I don't think people get what it is like to worry about things like this and want to be prepared - they say "you'll do fine" as if the paper goods, frozen dinners, etc will just show up on their own when you need them - I like to plan ahead if you can, so thanks sisters for all the help and all the time you have had to spend listening to my looooong messages - I will get through this with flying colors thanks to all of your wisdom and support-
Unread 02-13-2002, 08:00 AM
dishes and food

Lynda, Just a thought on the water....you can buy bottles of water in 8oz. and 12oz. bottles at the supermarket. Put them in the fridge and you're ready to go. When you finish with the bottle, refill it from the tap and put it back in the fridge. You'll always have several bottles ready to go.

Best wishes,
Unread 02-13-2002, 09:14 AM
dishes and food

It is a good idea to prepare ahead and then reheat. I kept leaving the gas burners on for the first two weeks (just heating butter for popcorn, not being naughty). I couldn't seem to concentrate on even that kind of stuff. My family caught me, thank goodness. The microwave is alot safer while you are having the post surgery/ anesthesia brain fog that is so common. It turns itself off!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register