Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 12-Jan 18,2009 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 12-Jan 18,2009 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 12-Jan 18,2009

Unread 01-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Back from the Castle!

Had a TAH Thursday morning the 15th, at 7:30 a.m. Things went really well. Came back home afternoon of the 17th. Thanks to the the wonderful ladies on this site, I believe I went in very well prepared and knew what to ask, etc.

Will post more later.

Thank you sisters!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jan 12-Jan 18,2009

I had surgery on Tuesday, a LAVH, was suppose to have out the right ovary and possibly left, but ended up being able to keep them. Other then not being able to sleep very well and the boredom, I am feeling pretty good. Gas has been a bit of a problem. Had small bowel movement this morning, was starting to worry. Husband got me some Senokot-S. I am also glad to report that I was a smoker when I went in to the hospital and have not had one since!!! I think this is going to be a great year!!!!!
Unread 01-18-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutt1
I am also glad to report that I was a smoker when I went in to the hospital and have not had one since!!! I think this is going to be a great year!!!!!

Same here! My TAH was the12th and still have not smoked!
Keep up the good work and glad to hear everyone is doing well!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2009, 03:23 PM

I had TVH on Tuesday, January 13. I am doing ok. In some pain and hoping to get a break. I have been walking short distances. I think the concern now is my bladder. I haven't cooked since Monday...wow! Have no fear, I haven't missed a meal yet. Oddly don't really have much of an appetite. I will post more later!
Unread 01-18-2009, 05:06 PM

I had a TLVH, bladder repair, rectocele, and other vaginal repairs. My surgery was Jan. 12th at 8:15am. Everything went well. I couldn't decide what to do about my ovaries, but I decided to have them removed. I ended up having a tumor on my right ovary, the path. report has came back a everything is fine. Praise the Lord! But my doctor said that is the kind of things you have to worry about turning into to something bad. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that I have nothing left. My pain is coming from my repairs. It hurts to sit, stand, lay. I still have my cathoter. They took it out on Tue. am. I was able to peep a little. I had a bad night Tue and they put it back in on Wed. am., I came home with it. I went back to the doctor office on Friday am , they took it out again. I still couldn't peep. My doctor said there is nothing to worry about, that this is due to all of the swelling and bruising from the repairs. He said he had one lady that took a month to be able to peep. I'm going back Mon or Tue for them to try again. A friend of mine came to see me Thurs and she had a friend that had a lot of repairs done in the summer and it took her 2 weeks to be able to peep. I'm hoping and praying it want take me that long. You ladies that have just the hyster. are blessed, the repairs are where the real pain and problems come in to play. Over all I'm doing better than I expected and I'm glad it is over.

My husband, mother, kids 7&9 and friends are taking good care of me.

Blessings to all.
Teresa
Unread 01-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Had TAH on the 15th. Kept my ovaries but tubes were removed. Left tube was fused [adhesions?] to my pelvic wall. Before surgery I had a pulling pain and am hoping this was cause. !st night in hosp suffered with bladder spasms and vomited most of the time. 2nd day I got off the heavy drugs and urinated within minutes of the cath being removed. Came home on the17th in the afternoon. The pain has increased today but I'm only taking advil, maybe some codeine tonight. Have a constipation issue normally so I'm very nervous. Been eating well and have had 2 small BM. All in all I've experienced worse pain so I'm optimistic about recovery. Listening to my body and taking it easy is key. 15 year old son made dinner tonight and 17 year old cleaned up. This will be a good learning curve for them. Husband returns home in 10 days so it's up to my 3 boys to step up. We live on a farm where there is alwalys lots to do. Somehow I seem to do most! I'm having some fiber drink and off to bed. Good luck to all.

TAH
lap '86 endometrial ablasion 07
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:48 AM

I had my TLH, rectocele, and cystocele repairs on the 13th. I came home on the 15th with the cath. I had a BM last night and that has made all the difference in the world! I am going today to get the cath out and hopefully will come home without it! I am sore from the repairs but none of this has been HALF as bad as I expected! Good luck everyone!
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:00 AM

Today has now been a week after my TAH w/BSO. I'm actually feeling pretty good except moving around slowly. Only take one Ibroprofin (sp?) or prescribed pain pill daily. Even in the hospital I didnt take alot of extra morphine shots.

My surgery started at 7:30am, since my dr is CEO of the hospital, it started on time! Hubby said the dr was out talking to him before 9 afterwards. I didn't get into a room until 11:30 since the birthing floor was almost full, but I did get a room.

My uterus and fibroids were bigger than expected so he had to cut me open more than usual. I can't wait until my appt to find out the size. I know I asked my dr if he took photos but he didn't! I should have mentioned I wanted to see it!

Being under morphine was really strange, I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. Someone would talk to me, but I couldn't stay awake. I think that was taken away on Tues morn. Then it was much better. Catheter was taken out on Tues also. That worried me since I'd have to get up to go then. The first time up I was very nausous. Didn't get too far. But gradually got better.
Didnt have much of an appetite but did eat some broth and tea.
On Weds, they said I could start eating lightly. I ordered jello and grilled cheese (I was craving it??) The jello made me sick - almost threw it up. Later that night I had the most extreme pain. The nurses put warm compresses on my tummy. It did ease it along with more pain meds. Oh I did bring along Gas-X, which my nurse gave me since the pharmacy was backed up to bring the prescribed kind.
On Thurs, another 2 extreme bouts with pain. The one time I was given prescribed Ducolax, which helped. The second time the mean old nurse told me to get up and walk, walk walk!!!
I said how the he$$ can I get up to walk to rid the pain when the pain is so bad I can't get up??? She was the worst nurse! Hubby was with me then, so he gave me my Gas-X again. It did help some, enough so I could get up out of bed and walk.
My dr came in after that and I told him about the nurse not helping me. He decided to run blood tests. My white count was high. He was kindof worried he might have knicked the bowel, but really thought he didn't He said he was so careful since the fibroid was huge. He also thought maybe an infection in the vaginal cuff area might cause it.
So instead of going home on Thurs, I had to stay another 24 hrs for IV's of antibiodics. That night I had the best sleep during my stay. No more pain spells. I also passed gas and had a bm.
Was released Friday night after 6pm.

I actually thought I'd have more pain than what I do. So I am pleased.
This morning I had my first bm at home, that went well too!
I miss having my dog lay on my lap. I put a pillow over and he lays partly on that so we still can snuggle some.

But it is so boring and tiring just sitting!!! How do we get through this for the next 2-4 weeks???
opps sorry this got so long!
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:33 AM

forgot to add, I am also wearing a patch for hormones. I'm not sure what it is called. I am getting a script for hormone pills but again don't have it in front of me to see what he prescribed. the patch was only for 4 days so I should remove it, but don't have my pills yet so I thought I'd keep it on.
Unread 01-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Week 1 Update - TAH Jan. 12, 2009

So glad to see that everyone is doing well

I'll second that it was not as bad as I thought it would be. It's been one week and I think I've done well. Weaned myself off of the Percoset - still have a few left for insurance though!

Staples come out today and I can't wait. At this point I think they are just a hazard; they itch, many are loose (took one out myself the other day) and some are 'weeping'.

I have slept a lot, but the last few days not as much during the day, although I've slept longer at night. Last night only got up once to go potty.

I have walked around the house a lot and find it very hard to not do things. I do load the dishwasher and straighten up. It's funny how suddenly I'm a neat freak? I'm wondering if my Dr. also removed my packrat gene, too Thanks Doc! I do really try to take it easy though; I ask my son or husband to help me often. I just feel kind of stir crazy and frustrated here and there.

This morning was a bit rough. I woke up feeling a little 'fluey' and since the flu is going around all I could think of was "I never get the flu, leave it to me to get the pukes for the first time in 20 years" but I feel better after showering.

Has anyone had (a) crying jag(s)? I had one in the hospital - totally to be expected, considering. And one this morning. My belly was hurting and since I'm prone to constipation, I'm trying to be so careful. I'm taking a stool softener, but decided against the Milk of Magnesia. I did that combo the other day and it was 5 hours of cramps and 90% water. So right now, I pass gas, but have some troubles with pooping and it feels like an alien is moving around in my bowels.

Back to the crying; my belly just started to really hurt while standing in the kitchen - my son and husband were in from the barn for breakfast and I thought I'd actually make them some eggs this morning instead of breakfast on their own again - and bam - just crampy pain like my incision was pulling apart, but inside and I just broke down and started balling. My poor son's face was priceless. He and my husband looked at me like... what the???

I have my ovaries still, but am thinking there still has to be some hormonal unbalance I need to get used to with no uterus? Anyone? I just ovulated right before my surgery; my doctor even told me he could see it just happened so it's not ovulation. Maybe it's just part of my emotional healing, who knows.

Sorry this is so long, but it's so nice to have this community! And it's also nice to see other farm women here - do you even believe that the farm can run without you? Who'd have thunk....

Hugs and Peace to all,
Chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register