nothing after midnight | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nothing after midnight nothing after midnight

Unread 04-21-2004, 07:32 PM
nothing after midnight

how come no one can have anything to eat or drink after midnight??? the hospital called me today and said i could have clear liquids right up until 2 hours before my surgery. i am like ok time to stock up on the apple juice!!!!! i was also told this before my scope and i had apple juice right up until 2 hours before the scope and didnt have any problems. any one else able to have clear liquids like me??????

tami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
nothing after midnight

My surgery is tomorrow (have to be there at 1pm) and I was told that I can eat/drink ANYTHING up until 3am tomorrow.

I guess it just depends on the Dr/Hospital/and what type of anesthesia (sp)?
Unread 04-21-2004, 07:40 PM
nothing after midnight

the normal procedure is no food 8 hours prior and clear up to two hours prior because they dont want you to vomit, with vomiting is possible chance of aspiration, plus they give you a drug to paralize your body to intubate you and do the surgery, nothing moves and and if no food for 8 hours nothing will be sitting in your tummy, if you vomit possible chance of aspiration into your lungs....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 07:42 PM
nothing after midnight

According to the Anesthesiologists Association (cause they are the ones who used to insist on the no food/no drink rule) they have relaxed their recommendations, but most hospitals and surgeons still go by the old rules. Their new guidelines allow food up to 4 hours before surgery. But even so, follow the instructions you are given, regardless.

I could have a sip of water in the morning to take my regular meds, but that was all. And then my surgery was delayed 4 hours so it was almost 24 hours with nothing.

Best wishes!
Unread 04-21-2004, 07:48 PM
nothing after midnight

I asked my Doctor about that also. My surgery is scheduled for 8am and I have to be there at 6a.m. I was told nothing to eat or drink after midnight also. He said it was because of the acid in your stomach and the anesthesia dont mix well. The do not want you to vomit while under because that is more dangerous. So its is hard to do and your mouth is totally dried up and you cough dust but its for the best... thats how I have to think of it.... god when can I have my cup of dunkin donuts coffee????? LOL
Unread 04-21-2004, 07:53 PM
nothing after midnight

I also got orders that a light dinner the night before the surgery was fine, nothing by mouth after midnight and the morning of the surgery I could have a cup black coffee or tea or water. I was told this by my doctor, by the preop nurse and by one of anesthesiologists (sp?) the day of my preop. With three people telling me the same thing (and my mom who was told by three different medical people for her hyster last year at a different hospital), I took this pretty seriously.
THe morning of my surgery (6 am!), the guy next to me in the readying room (where they place an iv and pump in antibiotics and you meet again with your dr), he ate some cereal after midnight. His surgery was for his arm and his doctor and anesthesia person postponed his surgery for 4 hours because they were concerned that he would vomit and aspirate it. It caused a bit of fuss but I think they just moved up the patient that was behind the guy so it wouldn't mess up the surgery schedule for that particular doctor.
Unread 04-21-2004, 08:19 PM
nothing after midnight

In our hospital we only delay for 2 hours...its funny, i tell them in preop and give them a paper that they sign that says they will keep them without liquids 2 hours prior and then they get angry when we delay their surgery..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register