5 days to go and in a complete panic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days to go and in a complete panic 5 days to go and in a complete panic

Unread 05-10-2004, 06:34 AM
5 days to go and in a complete panic

Hello all, I will be entering the castle on Friday. I am no longer able to take ibuprofen for pain and wonder if anyone has tried vicodin for pain pre surgery. I have no ability to concentrate and am finding it very difficult to sleep, my anxiety level is so high.. All I can think about is the surgery and the possibility of complications. My level of fatigue is so extremely high.. I seem to make it until noon time then I feel so tired that it is a real struggle to make it through the rest of the day.. THEN, I cannot sleep at night!!!! Sorry to ramble on so.. I feel like a big baby and part of me just says shut up and grow up... I tell myself that there are millions of woman who face this surgery every year and from what I read on the post op boards most of them feel better after.. I need to keep this in mind.. Any ideas on how to make it through the next five days would be oh so appreciated....Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2004, 06:38 AM

Nancy,

I understand and support you .

I am less than 48 hours and getting numb. I had a real crying jag yesterday. I had been so peaceful it was unreal until yesterday morning.

I can't offer advice about pain medicine because I really don't need any right now.

Hang in there and keep busy. That's what I will do.

Read the posts from Ladies who have made it through and are fine.

I that you will receive a sense of calm.

Woodsie
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:06 AM

A big hug to you!! As someone who has had major surgery before, I completely understand your fear. So I have a few tips for you:

1) Your doctors know their job and will do it well.
2) Your job is to go in EXPECTING THE BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME. Going in with a positive attitude will not only relieve some stress, but will greatly aid your recovery. Be determined not to "awfulize" every possibility. Try not to get lost in the moment; rather, look at the bigger picture.
3) Pre-op nerves are normal. It may help you to focus on just one day at a time. You're not having surgery every day for the next five days, so just focus on today, and deal with Friday when it comes.

Waiting really is the hardest part.

Cheers
Gale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2004, 07:30 AM

First, you are not a big baby for being so nervous...I was wheeled into the holding room for the OR with tears streaming down my face. I felt like a big baby, but my doctor patted me on my leg and assured me he would take good care of me. You know what? He did. Along with all the nurses. They were all very comforting.

It's only natural to fear surgery...and Gale had some very good advice. Take each day as it comes. Try not to dread all the "What if's". Most importantly, find a way to vent...either here to your HysterSisters or to family and friends. Keeping everything bottled up inside will cause you so much grief...

As far as the pain meds and loss of sleep, try calling your dr.

You're in my thoughts...
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:33 AM

Hang in there!

By the time my sugery date approched, I had been living life with an Foley Catheter on daily for 30 or more days as I had a fibriod that was so large it prevented me from being able to urinate.My date for surgery could not come soon enough and I was at the point where I was looking forward to surgery.....Probably in the same way a person who is having comsmetic surgery looks forward to it. I wanted my life back.

I was worried about the outcome, but I found that all I did was waste worry. Everything went as smooth as silk. I had minimal pain and discomfort, and was back to work at the 6 week point.Try to keep busy, spend time with friends, family, and talk your fears through with your doctor. My doc did a great job of helping me to relax, and exuded so much confidence in what she was doin, that this helped to mitigate my anxiety. It also helps to visualize a positive outcome. This can go a long way!
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:41 AM

One thing I wanted to add was a good way to give you back some control of your emotions. When I feel myself getting angry, fearful, etc., I decide I'm going to go with that emotion, but put a time limit on it. I don't deny the feeling, I just say I'm going to be scared for 15 min. It's funny how, well before the time limit is up, I'm ok! It acknowledges your emotions but let's you decide how long to feel that way. I like to be in control and find it works well for me.

Also, don't forget to exercise. A walk will do wonders.

Cheers
Gale
Unread 05-10-2004, 08:21 AM

Hi nancyjoy! Don't worry, it will be okay. I was absolutely freaked out before my 4/22 surgery and I also wasted some good worrying. I was worried about what could possible go wrong when my surgery turned out to be one of the easiest that my doctor had done in a while. No complications. Just look to the future without the problems anymore and know that you can get through the recovery. Plus, this website eased a lot of my fears. Knowing that all these women went through it or were going through it with me was a source of comfort. Everything you are feeling is normal. Try a little pampering before your date if you can. That helped me relax, even if it was only for a little while.

Good luck and hugs to you!
Unread 05-10-2004, 09:46 AM

Hi Nancyjoy,

I too went through the worry, fright and anxiety before my surgery. I'd never had surgery before so the "unknown" loomed large in my worry.

This site, my family and looking forward to life without the problems that the hysterectomy and bladder sling would fix really helped me during those days before the surgery. I pampered myself that week before. I had a facial...so relaxing and had my hair cut and styled. I would have had a manicure and pedicure too but just ran out of time. I also did some shopping for loose underwear and some comfy, soft knit pants with elastic waists to wear during my recovery time.

Just hang in there and you'll get through this. You've got a lot of people here cheering for you.

Have you talked to your Dr about taking pain relievers? Also, they might be able to give you something to help you sleep.

Good luck and a big hug.

Paulette
Unread 05-10-2004, 11:32 AM

Nancy-

First off - you are ENTITLED to every single emotion you are having! These are your feelings and it's OK, RIGHT, and only NATURAL to have them. Pat yourself on the back for having the courage enough to admit that you're scared. Then take a huge deep breath and say to yourself "I CAN DO THIS! I am strong! I am beautiful! And my Hyster Sisters love me!!!"

One thing I like do to when I am stressing while I am waiting to go to the castle (June 14th) is to reclaim my younger self at the nearest playground on the swings. It may seem silly at first, but the more I pump my legs the more I pump out my stress. I go higher and higher till I feel like I have nothing to weigh me down anymore. (I tend to do this later at night - that way I'm not "hogging" the swings from some of the local children )

As far as vicodin goes, be sure to talk to your doctor about it. Some women (myself included- found out from previous surgeries) can have a wierd reaction to it that makes you feel like you are itching all over. For me, simple over the counter sleep aids work just as well. But call your doctor, there will be a nurse on staff that you can talk to right away that may be able to suggest something appropreate for your needs.

Sending you lots of
Unread 05-10-2004, 12:00 PM

I feelt the same way you did yesterday, I vented all my silly thoughts and now feel better. My date is May 13th and I am ok with it. I will have to force myself to be good afterwoods, I am one of those types that is always on the go and getting nothing done. You have my prayers for a safe and quick recovery. Relax and take a big breath, that what I am doing. I can't take any asprin or any pain killers either, kind of stinks, I'm getting many headaches lately. Must be nerves. I am nervous, when I think of the what if's, but I have 100% faith in my docter and the hospital. I just need a little more faith in my body. I have been exercising since I found out I needed it, hoping the more tone I am the better it will be. It may be of little help, but I feel better and have more energy.

Best of luck to you, I know my guardian angels will be with me and you will have yours.

linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register