question about computer work post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about computer work post-op question about computer work post-op

Unread 05-11-2005, 12:03 PM
question about computer work post-op

OK, now I'm confused.

My surgeon told me I should be able to do some computer work from home by the third week of my recovery.

But I read in the recovery do's and don't article here:

"NO sitting for prolonged periods (i.e. in front of a computer)"

I have told my work I'll be able to answer emails and maybe do a couple hours of work a day in the third week.

Is an hour on the computer in the morning and an hour in afternoon in my third week realistic? (I'm lucky to have a super comfortable ergonomic chair - don't know if that makes a difference)

I know everyone heals differently and it's impossible to say what will happen, but I'd like to be prepared and not give my work any unrealistic expectations.

Comments appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Hi shegeek:

No, I don't think an hour each in the am and pm will be overdoing it, depending on your own recovery of course. I'm in my 3rd week after a TAH and I'm spending that much time at the computer without any ill effects. After about 15 minutes I get up and walk around the apartment for a few minutes, then go back to it. I also don't sit in a regular chair, I'm using a lawn chair so I'm slightly leaning back (not reclining!) and I've got the keyboard on my lap. I still can't sit up straight for any length of time, at least not comfortably.

I've also seen some ladies here post that they have a laptop that they put on a counter top and then stand up to use.

I should also mention I'm not a 'fast' healer by any means so I figure if I can do it, most others will be able to do it too!

HollyK
Unread 05-11-2005, 12:26 PM

Good question shegeek!

I'm hoping after about 2 wks post op to be able to do some work on my comp at home. That's what I've told my work and how I'm not going to lose so much pay being off. (It's a small company and doesn't qualify for the FMLA.)

My desktop is in my living room and I'm hoping with the wireless keyboard and mouse I can figure out a way to surf (er, I mean work ) from the couch.

Good luck to you and I hope you're feeling well enough to do so quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 12:44 PM

Thanks girls for the tips and good wishes, back at ya!

My home office is in the basement (stairs stairs stairs), as a designer I kind of need the big monitor setup down there, but perhaps if we get the internet going upstairs, I can answer emails standing up in the kitchen at other times.

Luckily I was setup to work from home already....and my nice little mac laptop only weighs 6 lbs or so!
Unread 05-11-2005, 12:51 PM

Hi shegeek,

I have my business in my home, and needed to return to work asap. I was out of work 3 weeks prior to my hysterectomy (since 3/26) and really can't lose anymore work. I started back to work last week at 2 1/2 weeks postop and am putting in approx 20 - 25 hrs. I had an LSH/BSO, so my abdominal pain has not been too bad. However I have been taking dilautid for chest pain. This makes me a bit foggy so I work slower...I do database/programming - but at least I can work. I work in my home office at the desktop and try to get up frequently. My biggest hurdle has been my lack of enthusiasm to return to my work.

Good Luck in your recovery and easing back into work!
Unread 05-11-2005, 01:10 PM

thanks seagate

I guess if you're able to handle some database programming I can maybe handle some xml by week 3 or 4. I was wondering about that aspect of my job. Design is a little easier to do than code when your brain is fuzzy.

I am working in software dev, so code mistakes are BAD NEWS. I want to make sure I'm all there before I start delving back into that.
Unread 05-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Hi,

The problem with computer work is with sitting, which puts a lot of pressure on your internal healing tissues. So, if you're working at home, you need to either get up and walk around every 20 to 30 minutes for 10 minutes at a time, or you need to devise a way to sit in a reclining position so the pressure is eased. (I worked by putting my laptop computer on a lap desk while I sat in my recliner.)

The other problem may be brain fog. The combination of lingering anesthesia effects, pain meds, hormonal fluctuations, and insomnia can make it very difficult to think straight that soon after surgery. You may not be doing your best work and may be more prone to making mistakes.

It is doable, but please remember to take it easy. This time is meant to be spent healing, which should be your first priority. You only get one chance at a good recovery.

s,

Lisa
Unread 05-11-2005, 01:35 PM

Thanks Shashi

I'll remember to use common sense and not push it.

I do remember that computer work the day after my polypectomy (which started this whole crazy ride) was a no go cuz it made me dizzy.

The reclining thing is a good idea - perhaps I should plan on working from my couch instead.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register