How do you manage the seat belt? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you manage the seat belt? How do you manage the seat belt?

Unread 08-31-2006, 06:10 AM
How do you manage the seat belt?

How do you manage the seat belt after surgery? Would a rolled up towel suffice? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2006, 06:25 AM

Nunzi11
I used one of those smooshy cushion things over my belly. they are really soft and squish down well at the same time as supporting the seatbelt . Hope that helps. Catopurling
Unread 08-31-2006, 06:36 AM

I used a travel sized pillow that I keep in my van, placed between the belt and my belly. My microbead pillow worked also but I used it in the house also and didn't want to carry it back and forth. The microbead pillow I used when I slept on my side as a little 'bed' for my belly so it was supported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2006, 07:20 AM

I used a small travel pillow too. I just left it in the car so that it would be there when I needed it. I did tend to sometimes be a little
A towel would probably work too though.

S
Unread 08-31-2006, 08:00 AM

I used two pillows, one to sit on and the other I put on my belly and then the seat belt around it. That was very comfortable, I had a half hour ride.
good luck
Unread 08-31-2006, 08:51 AM

Like Caramelo, I used a cushion (such as a chair cushion for a wicker chair) to support my body weight on the seat (not a bed pillow, though, because I sank in too deep, even though I am not a large person). I used a soft feather/down bed pillow on my body, putting the seat belt across pillow and me, as Caramelo did. My ride is 3 hours one way, on a good day, and it's about 4 hours with stops and travelling the speed limit. Coming home the day after my surgery ended up being too soon for such a long ride, so I asked my dh to put us up in a hotel not far (40 mins) from the hospital I'd just left. This gave me a night to get good rest -- 12 hours of sleep! -- before facing the daunting journey on several different roads under (bumpy) summer construction. It also gave me confidence that I would make it on the ride home. I took only tylenol to ease pain, preferring slight pain to being knocked out entirely by the meds that were prescribed to do that.

One other pre-op thing. I am typically a size 6 panty. To keep the pantiliner in (and it's likely you'll want to travel with a panti-liner), you probably are going to want to use panties. I had to ask my dh to go buy me panties in order to make the trip home. I went from a size 6 panty to a size 10. Because of the incisions, I had to roll them down to be sort of like a bikini. They now fit overly comfortably, thank goodness, and I'm still wearing them. I had read here about swelly belly, but I had NO idea. I'd bought a size 8 panty, thinking that would work. If he'd have come home with a size 11 (is there such a thing?) I'd have loved it. That's the kind of swelly belly that can happen. I use baggy dreses and went into the castle wearing one and out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register