Need advice, still sick and only 3 days to go! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need advice, still sick and only 3 days to go! Need advice, still sick and only 3 days to go!

Unread 05-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Need advice, still sick and only 3 days to go!

As I posted the other day, I went to the doctor's office with a sore throat, cough and sinus problems. She gave me an antibiotic and some cough syrup. The next day on Thursday, I started to feel much better, throat didn't even hurt at all that day.
Friday, I went to work and was feeling ok until later in the day. I came home and fed my dogs and felt like I was having chills and my throat was starting to hurt again. As the night went on my throat was killing me, worse than the first day. When I woke up this morning I could hardly talk because it hurt. I have taken tylenol and my cough medicine today because the drainage was so bad it was making me cough and I think that is why my throat was hurting so bad. I also had a low grade fever. My daughter had a dance recital tonight so I went. I had to take some advil because I ran out of tylenol, don't know if that was ok or not because they didn't tell me not to take anything.

Sorry for so long, but has anybody went through anything like this right before surgery and couldn't seem to shake it? I am on a Z-Pak and I only have one more dose to take. My throat feels like it is from drainage, but last year I had strep throat 3 times. 2 times I got it while I was on an antibiotic for something else. I don't think it is strep because when I had it, my throat felt closed up not sore. I guess I should go get a strep test to be sure on Monday. I don't understand why I can't get over this. I've been like this back and forth with a fever and the sinus and achiness for several weeks now. I just don't want to have to miss my surgery, I need to get well or I am afraid they will cancel. Anybody have to reschedule because of being sick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Be careful about what you take!

I hope you talk to your doctor either this weekend or Monday morning and can either get something to make you better or at least get more advice about what NOT to take.

I saw that you said you took advil. Everything I have read on this board (and what my own doctor told me) says you are not supposed to take anti-inflammatories for two weeks or so before the surgery becuase they contain blood-thinning qualities, and taking them can cause your surgery to be postponed! This has caused be a lot of problems because I was originally scheduled for May 2, then the 10th, and finally we're on for the 16th, so I've been off Ibuprofen since mid-April and am in soooooooo much pain! I wish I could take something other than tylenol or vicodin to relieve some of this, but I don't want to risk my surgery getting delayed again!

I hope you start to get better soon...seems like it's quite popular this weekend to be sick before your surgery! Don't worry, you really don't have to start a new trend...we'll still like you the same! Read through some of the other threads, but I think the most important thing you can do for yourself right now is:

Rest, a lot
Drink water, a lot
Take medications your Dr. prescribed, not a lot, but as directed
Rest a little more

I really hope you get better and can have your surgery as scheduled. I'm only 36 hours away (oh my gosh, is it FINALLY happening???). I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and hopefully I will see you on the other side of the board!
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:20 AM

I am with you honey, but my surgery is Friday so I have a few more days to recover. My symtoms sound exactly like yours. I thought I was starting to feel better last night and this morning feel crappy again, but hope it is just because of the morning drainage thing. My Dr gave me Augmentin as a anitbiotic.
I would not take Advil again, but I don't think one dose would have hurt you.
Definetly call the Dr tomarrow and tell them what is going on.
I am scared to death too that my surgery will be postponed!
I have so much to do today too! Mow the yard, trim the horses feet and do some last minute shopping. I will be working all week so won't have much time after today.
I will really be thinking of you and hope you feel better fast and Please hope your surgery isn't cancelled!!!!
Good luck and let us know how you are doing! Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 10:40 AM

Thanks,
I just remembered this morning when talking to my friend that the only thing they said not to take was Aspirin. I have been worried about the advil, because I definitely have not stopped taking it 2 weeks before. I talked to a friend this morning and she had a breast reduction and stopped two weeks before because of bleeding. I asked my family doctor the day she gave me the other meds and she said not to take it a couple of days before. She said the reason why but I forgot what it was. I looked through my paperwork and it didn't say anything. Why are so many doctors different on what they tell you to take? Before my ablation the anesthesiologist told me to stop taking sudafed a week before and this time they said I could continue my Zyrtec D.
Our school nurse's husband is a surgeon so I am going to call her after Sunday lunch and tell her to ask him since it is Sunday. I still don't feel much better this morning. I can't believe a person can have so much icky stuff in their head and sinuses to come out. You would think it would finally come to an end!
Unread 05-15-2005, 09:06 PM

Hi,
Everywhere I have heard not to take Advil/ibruprophen before surgery so be careful! I know even after my colonoscopy I couldn't take it for 2 weeks.
Maybe you will feel better tomarrow when you wake up. I am with you, how much junk can you actually have in your head to come out? Mucus producing machines are what we are!
Hope you feel better real quick. Tiffany
Unread 05-16-2005, 07:59 AM

I took the very last pill of a Z Pak the night before my hyst, so I know what you mean. I was SO terrified I was going to have to postpone surgery!My gyn said as long as my lungs were clear and I didn't have a fever, he would go on with it. Now, I don't know about the advil, but I would definitely go haead and let the doc know you took it. That way, you don't have to worry about whether you're going to get to the hospital and then turn around and come back home! I hope this helps, and I hope today finds you feeling much better! Good luck!
Vanessa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register