I have some major health problems and Im scared of any complications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have some major health problems and Im scared of any complications I have some major health problems and Im scared of any complications

Unread 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I have some major health problems and Im scared of any complications

Hi Im new here and Iam scheduled for hysterctomy (total) on 8th November 2010.
the gyn is aware of my health issues but seems a bit laid back over the whole thing, either that or Im starting to worry too much! The thing is Im diabetic (on medication), hypothyroidism and asthmatic and I would love to here from any ladies who have health issues, same or similar, who can reassure me that the whole surgery experience will most proberbly be completely fine!!!???
Many thanks a worried hystersister x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Re: I have some major health problems and Im scared of any complications

I would be interested as well seeing I was diagnosed with lupus last week. YIKES. I was started on lupus medicine immediately (plaquenil). The rheumatologist told me I needed to make sure to do three things 1) Tell my obgyn at my preop so that is covered and still go ahead with the surgery. 2) schedule an eye exam with specific tests asap as the plaquenil can damage my retinas. 3) I needed a baseline bone density test because of the lupus and because they are taking the ovaries.
Unread 10-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Hi hun,
It sounds like you have your hands full also! When is your surgery date? if it has been decided yet, and what possible sugery do you think you will be having? Keep me informed because I would like to know what the gyn says to you as mine has not been forthcoming!
I hope it goes well for you, please keep in contact xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Deva- I also have diabetes controled by medication and I met with my endocrinologist a few weeks ago and he said as long as my numbers were good it should not cause any problems. I would meet with as many of your medical team as possible and ask all of your questions and concerns. From the time I was diagnosed with my monster fibroid I went to 3 GYN's, primary Dr. and the endocrinologist twice. My pre-op appt. is tomorrow so 2 pages of questions for that one. Ask questions that is our job in all this- be as educated as you can be.---L
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:29 PM

As long as the whole medical team invoved in your surgery knows everything, you should be fine. The anesthesiologist will probaby want you to take your inhaler with you to surgery. As a suggestion, though. Take an older one, just in case it gets lost. If you need to see how much is in them, get a bowl of water & float the metal canister in it. A full one will lay fairly horizontal, & an empty one will be vertical. (old respiratory therapy trick)
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM

I went for my pre-admission testing yesterday and was told to bring my inhaler to the hospital with me. They said before I go under that they want me to take 2 puffs of the inhaler...only bc when they intubate sometimes it causes an asthma attack. I also have Lupus dx 4yrs ago. Which I only have 58% lung capacity bc of the lupus. My surgery for TVH is scheduled on the 15th...the countdown has started...getting nervous and anxious.
Prayers to all*
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:26 PM

I have diabetes (oral meds only) and psoriatic arthritis. I had a LAVH on 9/27. I was instructed NOT to take my metformin the night before or the day of surgery - so be sure to check your medications with the Gyn AND the hospital pre-op (it was the hospital that told me not to take it). Also I was told by my rheumatologist to stop my Enbrel 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks following the surgery because it supresses my immune system and makes me more susceptible to infection - my gyn did not mention this one either.

So be sure to check with all members of your health care team, the ones who prescribed the various meds are the most familiar with them and their potential effects on your surgery.

Also, the plaquenil - I took this for about 5 years (prior to the Enbrel). DO get your baseline eye exam as soon as possible. I had no problems on the palquenil while i took it, but the eye tests that they do will catch any retinal involvement as soon as it starts if they have a good baseline to compare against.

PS - my A1c is steady around 6.1 - 6.2. I have had no diabetic or rheumatological complications to the surgery. I had one lap incision reopen about a week ago (after the glue fell off) but saw the doc today and she said it is fine, not infected and will heal on its own from the inside out. So for the diabetics - keep an eye on your numbers and if they are in a good range, you should be fine.
Unread 10-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Many thanks for all your ideas and reasurrance. I think I need to hound my gyn more and ask more questions! xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register