Exercise/Lifting Weights AFTER Hys w/Suspension | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercise/Lifting Weights AFTER Hys w/Suspension Exercise/Lifting Weights AFTER Hys w/Suspension

Unread 01-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Exercise/Lifting Weights AFTER Hys w/Suspension

I'm starting to get really nervous about having this done! And for very silly reasons, I guess. I'm having a TVH w/Uterosacral Suspension for severe prolapse.

My doctor told me I won't be able to lift ANYTHING for 8 weeks or do any SQUATTING for the same to insure the suspension holds. But now I've been reading some articles that say once a woman has had a hysterectomy, she should avoid squatting or lifting anything heavy for the rest of her life!! Is this true???

I love to work out, and most of my workouts are cardio & weights combined. I never lift more than about 8 pounds in each hand, but I do a lot of squatting and such to work my legs. Am I really not going to be able to do this ever again??? Am I going to have to change my whole style of exercise after this? Or is this just something I have to be careful of for awhile, but not forever? I'm so confused!!

It won't change my mind on the hysterectomy, especially since I can't really exercise right now with all the problems anyway. I just want to know what kind of lifestyle changes I'm going to have to make after this??

Sorry to ramble on!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 11:37 AM

I've been wondering about the weights too. I work out 2x a week w/weights (the rest is aerobics) and I can lift up to 50 lbs. I've worked really hard to get to that point and I hate to think of not being able to do it anymore. Mine is a laproscopic procedure, so hopefully I should be okay, but I am interested to hear what people have to say about this.
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:45 AM

That is a question for your doctor concerning you're own situation. Yes, it is true that some women do have some lifting/squatting restrictions for the rest of their lives following a hysterectomy. Most don't.

I wasn't allowed to lift more than 5 pounds for the first 6 weeks of my recovery. At my 6 week appointment, my doctor released me to start easing back into my usual routine. I don't have any lifetime restrictions from lifting or squatting.

s, Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM

(((lambeau_leap))) If you're having repairs done, which I see you are, you're more likely to have lifetime restrictions after the surgery, although DRs differ on this.

I was not allowed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk (about 8.5 lbs) for six weeks afterwards, and have a 25 pound weight restriction for life. I do exercise, including squats, but not with weights.

I would listen to your DR, who knows what is right for YOU.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-17-2008, 12:40 PM

I can totally handle it if I can't do lower body work with weights anymore. I can always switch to something like Pilates or Yoga for strength in my legs.

However, lifting only 25 lbs. would be a big problem since my son is only 8 months old and already weighs that much!! LOL I will obviously follow my doc's instructions to the letter during my recovery period, but hopefully my doctor will have good news for me after that!!
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:08 PM

I think weight lifting weight is different from child weight. The dead weight is considered heavier, I believe. Maybe it is the distribution of the weight that makes a difference. I would certainly ask your dr. before going back to anything.
Unread 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM

this is a GREAT question, and I'm writing it down on my already huge list of questions to ask my dr. at my pre-op on the 29th. I guess I just assumed that after I'm fully recovered, that I'd be able to resume back to all my normal workout routines, which includes lifting weights 2 - 3 times a week, doing squats, and other stuff like that.... plus, running.... hmmm....

I HOPE I will not have any life-long restrictions.... that'd be sad for me. BUT, continuing to live with this pain woudl be worse, I guess. Maybe like a previous poster said, that if you are getting repairs done, there might be life-long restrictions, but for me, I'm only having my uterus removed (and appendix, too), and no repairs done, so maybe for me there won't be any life-long restrictions? I guess I'll find out at my pre-op!

Good question!!!
Unread 01-18-2008, 11:32 AM

I did weight lifting for several years and wondering if you are use to using say a 25lbs in one hand, could switching to 25lbs on a full length barbell changes it enough to work? I know some exercises can't be adapted to the full length barbell but many could be. For one tricep curls could be adapted to the bar change by laying down on a bench. Ask your dr. then find a very good personal trainer to help you adapt to your new needs. The last trainer I had was on crack now I have neck damage, so make sure they are very good before you get started.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register