PCOS, heavy periods, low iron, PMDD, and lots of pain. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PCOS, heavy periods, low iron, PMDD, and lots of pain. PCOS, heavy periods, low iron, PMDD, and lots of pain.

Unread 10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
PCOS, heavy periods, low iron, PMDD, and lots of pain.

So I have all the things listed in the thread title. My doc said that if I were a little older he would recommend a hyster. He doesn't because he doesn't want me on hormones that long. I'm almost 30 and done having kids.

I just can't take my life this way anymore. I also have Fibromyalgia and the pain from that is bad enough without all the "woman" pain too.

If you were in my place, would you do it?

Thanks.
Amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2008, 06:27 AM

Amber - what is PCOS? Do you have fibroids?

If you have fibroids, and they are not too large, they might be able to remove just the fibroids vaginally. I know little about UFE, but I think that younger women without very large fibroids are supposed to be good candidates.

There are a lot of options out there short of hysterectomy - has your dr. counselled you about them?
Unread 10-23-2008, 07:44 AM

PCOS is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I don't have Fibroids and have done just about everything we can think of short or surgery. I have tired a countless number of birth control pills. Nothing helps. We briefly discussed an abalation, but that won't help with the pain and might not help the PMDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Amber, I had suffered from all of the above for over 14 years and heavy, painful periods for 20 years (since starting my period at 11). I am only a couple of years older than you (32), and it was a difficult decision for me to finally have my hysterectomy. I was really concerned that because of the PCOS I would definitely lose both ovaries, but I found that was not the case. Going into surgery, I knew it was possible, but I had laser drilling/ablation/draining of my ovarian cysts twice and four D&Cs (along with 3 mc (SAB) in the past twelve years, with the most recent surgery to avoid hysterectomy last January (08). I was tired of all the surgeries and more tired of all the pain. I also had endometriosis (which was removed twice in the past and treated with Lupron) and adenomyosis. I am only one week post hysterectomy, and I already can tell I am going to feel better. It's amazing that two days after leaving the hospital (four days post op), I already felt better than before the surgery. My only complaint is that I had very extreme uterine orgasms with sex and masturbation before and those are obviously gone. I, of course, still haven't had sex, but since my drive has been even higher post surgery (is that possible?), I had to take matters into my "own hands" and see how it has changed. I still have orgasm, but it is definitely lower intensity.

I know that I am only a week post-op, so this may not help you. I just thought I would give you my insight since I have been through a very similar situation. By the way, I was able to keep both ovaries, whether they have to be removed in the future remains to be seen, but removal my large uterus (about 14 wk preg size) and the endo and adeno alone seem to have given me a new, less painful and more productive life already. I am glad I had the surgery. I just hope things heal inside before 6 weeks! DH and I are SO ready!

I wish you the best with your decision.
Unread 12-30-2008, 05:01 PM

Have you sought a second opinion about what might be best for you? Are you seeing a doctor who specializes in treating women with PCOS or PMDD?

The heavy bleeding should be cured with a hysterectomy which in turn could take care of the low iron issue. However, PCOS is not cured with either a hysterectomy or oophorectomy as it is a disorder of the entire endocrine systerm. PMDD is not cured with a hysterectomy and may nor may not be taken care of with an oophorectomy, depending on whether or not you find the right hormone balance for you and how you respond to the hormones. And it would depend on what exactly is causing your pain as to whether a hysterectomy would eliminate your pain issues. Have you talked to whomever treats your fibromyalgia to see if s/he would have some suggestions? It might be best to attempt to get the fibro under better control before moving forward with treatment for female issues, or it might be better to go ahead and try to treat the female issues before working on the fibro. I know it is not easy trying to figure out which condition to treat first, not knowing if the treatment will be completely successful, will it affect other conditions positively or negatively, etc.

I would encourage you to learn all you can about each of your conditions and know what the possible treatment options are. Keep a symptom diary and stay in touch with your doctor. Talking to your primary care physician could also be helpful and your PCP can also help refer you to doctors who can treat each condition.

From my personal experience I can tell you that my health went completely downhill after my hysterectomy and I was younger than you are now. I also was not cured with a hysterectomy as I am diagnosed with endometriosis. So I would encourage you to be sure you take plenty of time to decide what is best for you, weigh all of the pros and cons, and seek additional medical opinions.

I am sending lots of s your way as you determine what might be best for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register