Is 2 days too soon to go out after? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is 2 days too soon to go out after? Is 2 days too soon to go out after?

Unread 05-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Re: Is 2 days too soon to go out after?

Do yourself a huge favor - go to the dress rehearsal and take pictures, movies, etc (before your surgery). The day of the show is all about your darling little girls - if you are not up to snuff (even if you are dressed and look slightly human) - you may end up setting your recovery way back.

It's hard to find the perfect window for recovery - you've made your decision to have the surgery - do that. Focus on getting to the other side. Be sure to enlist a few people that you trust - that will take a zillion pictures of your daughters.

Good luck!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2011, 10:29 AM

This type of risk doesn't make any sense. If you have a significant set back, imagine how guilty your daughters will feel, especially the 12 year old. Your trying to make it to the dance recital after 2 days in surgery is also your announcement to the world that you do not need any help and are healed. So, prepare do not complain when everyone decides you can make do on your own. Why should anyone bring food or wash dishes or clean up, when you can do it. You went to a recital for several hours 2 days after surgery, after all.

You risk so much for a dance recital. It is not as if it is the last one for either of your kids. Surely, it is one of many.

I had the Da Vinci hysterectomy, which is supposed to be quicker healing, less bleeding, and less pain. After 2 days, I was barely standing upright. I could not get into the bed without assistance. Getting out of the bed was trying. I was in a world of pain! Further, my bladder hurt when I urinated and when I had to urinate, it was with a sense of great urgency. I hadn't had a bowel movement. I was swollen. My stomach was HUGE like I was 8 months pregnant with twins. I was barely eating. Further, I was still bleeding from one of the incisions. I had to go back to the doctor for that. I could barely get into and out of the car to do that. The bumps made me yelp! I shuffled to walk. Everything ached. It's major surgery. They take out an organ and cauterize arteries and blood vessels!

Perhaps you will have an easier time than I did, but perhaps you won't.

This is major surgery. Value yourself enough to either postpone surgery or miss this recital. In the scheme of things, this is merely one recital you will miss. Surely, you consider yourself worth taking this time for you?

Let everyone else concentrate on your daughters at the recital rather than you. Anyone you ask to take you home if you attend will miss the recital. Any pain you will have at the recital will take someone else's attention off your daughter. Their recital could become about you and your pain. Is that what you choose? If you are in too much pain NOW that you refuse to postpone the surgery, surely you can imagine that you will be in too much pain 2 days after major surgery to sit through a recital. ~shrug~ I hope you do what is best for your health. Truthfully, this makes little sense to me. As everyone else suggested, talk to your doctor. See your discharge instructions.
Unread 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM

Thank you for the advice. At this point it seems it won't matter as my insurance company is saying I can't have the surgery where I want to. They want to place me on a restricted recipient program because of all the different doctors I've seen to get me to this point. I'm finally to the finish line but I can't cross it because they're not going to let me have the surgery and if I can't get insurance to approve it, the hospital is going to give my spot to someone else. And of course the ONE person who is handling my claim is not answering his phone. I really think I could kill someone right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Oh no! I hope it can all be worked out quickly. Just when it was so close! Perhaps your Drs office can help, often they can fix insurance hassles. Good luck, and don't give up on it yet.
Unread 05-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks. I've been on the phone the last hour and so frustrated I was crying on the phone and the lady telling me I shouldn't have gone to the ER for the pain I was in and I calmed myself enough to just find out what I needed to do to get it approved instead of defending the pain I was in to her. The doctor's office thinks they need prior approval and the access manager said I just need 2 referrals that they can do online and it will be covered. Now I just wait back to hear if I'm good to go.

I most likely will skip the dance program if I get to have the surgery. I DEFINITELY do not want people thinking I'm healed and that I don't need help! I plan to take it easy as long as I can and let my insides heal so I can feel better faster. Thank you for all the advice and stories of your personal recovery experiences. They are not going unheard, trust me.
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:03 PM

I wish you the best & pray that everything works out well for you. You might have to miss one show for the girls, but you want to make sure you don't trade one show for many in the future because of complications. Otherwise, there's not much I can add to what the others have said.
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all the advice. I guess I'll have to see how I feel, but as of now I plan on skipping it.
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Hope you get good news on the insurance. Most studios tape the recitial so I bet your girls will love watching it over and over and over and over again with you!
Unread 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM

I just wanted to say, that when I was young, I had a big dance recital and my poor mom had just had brain surgery. She had another mom help with hair and makeup, then she only came during my part of the dance. She passed away not too long after that and looking back, I can't believe how strong she was to do that, and how much it means to me now. I say, IF you are feeling up to it maybe you could do something similar to that? And if you can't go...don't feel too bad! I know that I would've COMPLETELY understood! (I was 9 at the time). Good luck to you!
Unread 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjam View Post
I just wanted to say, that when I was young, I had a big dance recital and my poor mom had just had brain surgery. She had another mom help with hair and makeup, then she only came during my part of the dance. She passed away not too long after that and looking back, I can't believe how strong she was to do that, and how much it means to me now. I say, IF you are feeling up to it maybe you could do something similar to that? And if you can't go...don't feel too bad! I know that I would've COMPLETELY understood! (I was 9 at the time). Good luck to you!
Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. Life is short and you never know how much time you have, which is why I really want to go to support my girls. I know they'll understand if I can't make it and I know I have to take care of myself so I can get back to being healthy and being able to be a good mom again. I'm not deciding anything definite until I talk to my doctor and ultimately until I see how I feel after surgery. Thank you again for sharing with me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register