Should I get a second opinion? Am I just nervous? help! UPDATE: hysterectomy scheduled for 1/19 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I get a second opinion? Am I just nervous? help!  UPDATE: hysterectomy scheduled for 1/19 Should I get a second opinion? Am I just nervous? help! UPDATE: hysterectomy scheduled for 1/19

Unread 01-16-2022, 02:17 PM
Should I get a second opinion? Am I just nervous? help! UPDATE: hysterectomy scheduled for 1/19

Hi all...I am scheduled for a laparoscopic, total hysterectomy with possible removal of ovaries, on January 19. This will be a robotic, DaVinci surgery.

My original DX was post menopausal bleeding, which was quite heavy with cramping for about 2 months and has now come to a full stop. My initial biopsy was negative and showed inactive endometrium, the vaginal ultrasound showed a 23 mm wall thickness, ovaries normal. A 1 cm polyp on my cervix was biopsied and negative. An additional test of a sonohistigram showed "a vascular 5 cm endometrial lesions noted at this time and the uterus appears normal." I currently have no pain or discomfort.

Honestly, I am freaking out. I don't feel i have enough information about my diagnosis and wonder if I should get a second surgical opinion. The doctor treating me is a gynecological oncologist and very good at her job. I do trust her overall, but wish she would take time to answer more of my questions. My regular gyno did some of the original testing and told me the lesion is not a fibroid, in her opinion, but is leaving the decision to me.

I am mainly confused as to why I am no longer bleeding and what the nature of this lesson is. Can it be removed any other way? I keep hearing from both doctors the answer is no, due to its size. And the implication that due to my age and end of my reproductive years, it would just be healthier to remove my uterus. But that it not my first choice

I suffer from depression, anxiety and PTSD. I have also spent the last two weeks with a sinus and chest coughing issue of some sort. I was tested for Covid three times, negative. So I had a course of antibiotics, Flonase, Mucinex DM, and an inhaler.

I have had 2 chest x rays, both clear and all of my pre-op bloodwork. But as of today i still have residual mucus and a bit of a cough but no fever. I am scheduled for a pre-op doctors clearance on 1/18 where they will decide if I am healthy enough for surgery.

I am traumatized about this whole process. Are there any other options for me? I have read alot of the posts here and it really helps. I feel like I should have asked more questions when I had the chance. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2022, 06:33 PM
Re: Should I get a second opinion? Am I just nervous? help!

Have they done a hysteroscopic d&c first? I thought this was the gold standard to take a sample and get a birds eye view of what’s happening inside. It could be a polyp or inter uterine fibroid that could easily be removed during the procedure. Both are bleeders too. I would insist on the lesser invasive gold standard before jumping into a surgery you don’t want. I had a similar experience with a fibroid and had to go outside the speciality for relief. No, no, no to removing the ovaries! No! I saved my uterus but it was not easy.
Unread 01-16-2022, 09:34 PM

Hi pomflora:

I hope you will opt to get a SECOND OPINION. Ultimately it is YOU who will be living with the outcome of your chosen treatment, good or bad.

Sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2022, 12:55 AM

Hi Pomflora

Your situation sounds exactly like mine so I offer my experience as a consideration but should in no way take from your doctors recommendations.

I had a scheduled hysteroscopy for another reason and mentioned to the doctor that I had had heavy uterine bleeding for several weeks. My doctor decided to do a biopsy to check. A pre scan uncovered a 5cm vascular fibroid which looked “suspicious”. The hysteroscopy was put on hold in case it was cancerous and as they couldn’t tell any other way, a hysterectomy was recommended.

Post surgery pathology showed that it wasn’t cancerous. The fibroid had been causing intermittent bleeding as blood rests showed I had been menopausal at the time. (I had symptoms but as I was having light bleeds thought I wasn’t there yet) The heavy bleeding for about 4 weeks COULD have been a short time side effect of my covid vaccine as it was immediately after and my doctor said he had heard this from sisters several times.. this hasn’t been proved or disproved by research as far as I know.

My other option was a wait and see approach to see if it grew. Looking back this may have been an option, but my fibroid was definitely causing issues and would have got worse. Right for me.

If you have the option to safely wait and see and are really in 2 minds about going for this speak to your Doctor, they should make time for your questions and definitely seek a second opinion to help you come to terms with your ultimate decision.

Rody xx
Unread 01-17-2022, 05:23 AM

a second or even third opinion is so important.. look at your other options, make an informed decision. this is major surgery. I got multiple opinions and I'm so glad I did. I went into my surgery 100% sure that I did everything that I could to educate myself on options. if I went with my first dr's thoughts..I would have no cervix or ovaries today. because I got multiple opinions, researched and went to a big university for an opinion, I kept my healthy cervix and ovaries.
Unread 01-17-2022, 11:51 AM
Should I get a second opinion? Am I just nervous? help! UPDATE: hysterectomy scheduled for 1/19

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies and taking the time. It helps me to know that these are not unfounded fears and what everyone else has been through.

I didnt have a hysteroctomy bc both my gyno and the onco gyno think the lesion is too big for that procedure. It could break up, My gyno said she does not think it is a fibroid. All biopsys make back negative (pippelle- not sure if she did the D and C), so it seems they are advising to me on the basis of the a)size of lesion b) post menopausal bleeding c)age . I'm sure my onco gyno also uses her judgement based on the doplar color, etc. She is part of a major university system so I do trust the resources she has.

I have a phone call into my doctor right now so I am hoping to hear back soon so we can discuss postponing.I am looking for another doctor to get a second surgical opinion. I will update after I speak to her. I want to reply a bit more extensively then. X
Unread 01-18-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomflora View Post
Hi all...I am scheduled for a laparoscopic, total hysterectomy with possible removal of ovaries, on January 19. This will be a robotic, DaVinci surgery.

My original DX was post menopausal bleeding, which was quite heavy with cramping for about 2 months and has now come to a full stop. My initial biopsy was negative and showed inactive endometrium, the vaginal ultrasound showed a 23 mm wall thickness, ovaries normal. A 1 cm polyp on my cervix was biopsied and negative. An additional test of a sonohistigram showed "a vascular 5 cm endometrial lesions noted at this time and the uterus appears normal." I currently have no pain or discomfort.

Honestly, I am freaking out. I don't feel i have enough information about my diagnosis and wonder if I should get a second surgical opinion. The doctor treating me is a gynecological oncologist and very good at her job. I do trust her overall, but wish she would take time to answer more of my questions. My regular gyno did some of the original testing and told me the lesion is not a fibroid, in her opinion, but is leaving the decision to me.

I am mainly confused as to why I am no longer bleeding and what the nature of this lesson is. Can it be removed any other way? I keep hearing from both doctors the answer is no, due to its size. And the implication that due to my age and end of my reproductive years, it would just be healthier to remove my uterus. But that it not my first choice

I suffer from depression, anxiety and PTSD. I have also spent the last two weeks with a sinus and chest coughing issue of some sort. I was tested for Covid three times, negative. So I had a course of antibiotics, Flonase, Mucinex DM, and an inhaler.

I have had 2 chest x rays, both clear and all of my pre-op bloodwork. But as of today i still have residual mucus and a bit of a cough but no fever. I am scheduled for a pre-op doctors clearance on 1/18 where they will decide if I am healthy enough for surgery.

I am traumatized about this whole process. Are there any other options for me? I have read alot of the posts here and it really helps. I feel like I should have asked more questions when I had the chance. Thanks...
Hi. Like yourself I'm post menopausal and scheduled for my hysterectomy in February. Just from reading your post I think you need to slow things down a bit. I actually had my pre-op appointment today. It's helpful to do some research, write down your questions, and request another meeting. Also you shouldn't be afraid to drop questions in the portal. Don't be rushed especially if you aren't comfortable moving forward and don't feel bad if you aren't ready. It took me years to get here. Your body, your decision. Sending comforting hugs your way.
Unread 01-18-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomflora View Post

I can’t say this enough, get a second and third opinion. This surgery is no joke. Especially if you currently suffer from any mental distress. The recovery can be brutal. The best advice I can give is love yourself enough to heavily research and be positive.
Best of luck to you.
Unread 01-18-2022, 04:37 PM

Hi everyone!

Update: well its been a stressful few days coming to this decision. In addition to all of your excellent input, I did speak with a family friend who is an oncologist, as well as another who is a pathologist. I read and read some more...I weighed all the info. I am going forward with the hysterectomy tomorrow, with the goal of preserving my ovaries if possible. That is the plan.

The final deciding factor was not so much fibroid vs. lesion vs mystery mass in the end. It was the factor of my 23 mm thickness in my endometrial wall in combination with the lesion. The 23 mm is such a High number in and of itself. So that is an issue with me.

I am unhappy of course that I cannot know for certain prior to surgery what this lesion is, and if I made the best decision. But I feel like I finally made a good decision, and I am at peace with it.

To me, that is a small miracle!

So on to the Xanax, the broth and the popsicles...I check in tomorrow at 1 pm. I will check out the other board! X
Unread 01-18-2022, 04:46 PM
Re: Should I get a second opinion? Am I just nervous? help! Update 1/18 - hysterectomy scheduled

If you are nervous about the surgery, I can tell you that I had a hysterectomy with removal of ovaries and cervix via DaVinci 2 and a half years ago, and experienced not one negative issue. If I had to do it again, that’s the method I would choose. If you are putting this off because of the robotic procedure, just let yourself go with it. My favorite post-op reward is that I never again have to worry about cervical issues, ovary issues, or uterine issues. Whatever you choose to do, you have my support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register