Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 01-Nov 07,2021 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 01-Nov 07,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 01-Nov 07,2021

Unread 12-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 01-Nov 07,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrice597 View Post
Just an update! Thank you so much for the reply to my post. I love and miss my students but I took your advice and discussed going back after Christmas break and she was very much in agreement. I'm glad I will be taking the extra time to heal. The vaginal cuff I was worried about is healing but is still light pink (she would like it to be a darker pink to indicate better healing), the doctor said 2 more weeks at least and then I'll have a re-check. As far as the bladder spasms, that was considered normal. My doctor indicated that the bladder is often very sensitive and fussy and takes some time to recover from the trauma. Thankful for a place to "vent" and "tell it all" to those that understand! Hope everyone is healing well!
jlrice … you are very welcome. I’m so glad it has worked out for you to return after the Christmas break. We all heal at different rates and the vaginal cuff takes longer to heal. It is in a dark damp place and takes longer to heal than sutures on the outside. The extra healing time will help it to heal well.

You can vent with us any time dear … I know it helps to discuss what is happening and to know you are not the only one.

much love to you dear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2021, 08:35 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Nov 01-Nov 07,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrice597 View Post
Just an update! Thank you so much for the reply to my post. I love and miss my students but I took your advice and discussed going back after Christmas break and she was very much in agreement. I'm glad I will be taking the extra time to heal. The vaginal cuff I was worried about is healing but is still light pink (she would like it to be a darker pink to indicate better healing), the doctor said 2 more weeks at least and then I'll have a re-check. As far as the bladder spasms, that was considered normal.
My doctor indicated that the bladder is often very sensitive and fussy and takes some time to recover from the trauma. Thankful for a place to "vent" and "tell it all" to those that understand! Hope everyone is healing well!
Did your doctor say how long the bladder spasms would last? Mine got better and then came back again a couple days ago and it’s driving me crazy. I don’t see my doctor till the 27th. Thanks!
Unread 12-11-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciey47 View Post
Did your doctor say how long the bladder spasms would last? Mine got better and then came back again a couple days ago and it’s driving me crazy. I don’t see my doctor till the 27th. Thanks!
Hi! She didn’t say how long they can last, I’m sorry yours came back. They did come back for me as well and I noticed that I needed to be sure I was drinking more water and emptying my bladder as soon as I could (not holding it), a heating pad helped me as well. I did take a urine test to be sure that it wasn’t related to a bladder infection ( it was negative). I hope it gets better for you soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2021, 09:03 AM

Hi everyone,
I had my laparoscopic hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) on Nov. 1. I feel like my recovery has been pretty average and ordinary for a 48 year old, neither super fast nor super troublesome. My family has been reasonably supportive, but I've been doing most things myself since week 2 because they started to assume I was "better".

Here's where my frustration is and I'm hoping I'm not alone in this.
I started back to work yesterday at half time and will be back to full time after the holidays. I work in the back room of an academic library, so I move books & journals around but also have desk work.

I've heard comments both from extended family and coworkers that "oh, you aren't healed yet?" "You're still recovering?" "Wow, it's taking a really long time." "Shouldn't you be back to normal by now?" When I shared that I was having to buy more roomy work clothes, a family member asked if "I was still out looking for fat pants." Even my husband has been less than supportive when it has come to buying sweater dresses or shirt dresses with no waistband to get me through this extended part of recovery.

Just really frustrated with and upset by having to explain to every person I meet that no, I'm not through recovery yet. Yes, it's normal. No, I'm not without pain but it's manageable. Yes, I get tired easily, but I'm doing my best.

I'm sure people aren't trying to be malicious or mean spirited, but it's just so demoralizing to be around people that just don't seem to get it.

Thanks for listening! May you all have a good day and a good recovery!
Unread 12-14-2021, 11:26 AM

I’m sorry that’s happening, ChrisDD. People really don’t seem to understand sometimes. It’s amazing you’re already back to work when it involves lifting and carrying what must sometimes be heavy books. Do you have a weight limit?

I try to remember that other’s expectations are ignorant in the true sense of the word; they just don’t know and don’t understand.

I was doing too much even though I felt like I wasn’t really doing anything, and ended up with some vaginal bleeding with a little clotting. My surgical fellow (gynecological oncology surgeon under my surgeon) asked me to try to remember it was major surgery even though it was laparoscopic. That really helped me. I hope it will help you, too. There’s no excuse or explanation needed for you to take care of yourself in any way you need to. Now, if someone seems to act as though I should be “over it by now,” I simply say what the surgeon said, that even though it was laparoscopic, it was major surgery, and it will take a while for my body to recover completely.

I hope that helps you not to feel the pressure to be somewhere you’re not. You’ll be “there” before you know it. Try to be kind to yourself, as I’m sure they don’t realize their curiosity comes off as, at the very least, insensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDD View Post
Hi everyone,
I had my laparoscopic hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) on Nov. 1. I feel like my recovery has been pretty average and ordinary for a 48 year old, neither super fast nor super troublesome. My family has been reasonably supportive, but I've been doing most things myself since week 2 because they started to assume I was "better".

I started back to work yesterday at half time and will be back to full time after the holidays. I work in the back room of an academic library, so I move books & journals around but also have desk work.

I've heard comments both from extended family and coworkers that "oh, you aren't healed yet?" "You're still recovering?" "Wow, it's taking a really long time." "Shouldn't you be back to normal by now?" When I shared that I was having to buy more roomy work clothes, a family member asked if "I was still out looking for fat pants." Even my husband has been less than supportive when it has come to buying sweater dresses or shirt dresses with no waistband to get me through this extended part of recovery.

Just really frustrated with and upset by having to explain to every person I meet that no, I'm not through recovery yet. Yes, it's normal. No, I'm not without pain but it's manageable. Yes, I get tired easily, but I'm doing my best.

I'm sure people aren't trying to be malicious or mean spirited, but it's just so demoralizing to be around people that just don't seem to get it.

Unread 12-15-2021, 08:29 AM

This was the biggest mistake of my life. I want my old self and my life back.

UTI, infected incision, staph infection on face, the whole experience has been a nightmare that has brought back childhood trauma.
I cry all the time.

I have changed oncologists and will be seeing a counselor Thursday.
I have nothing but regret.
Unread 12-15-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDD View Post
Hi everyone,

ChrisDD ... we're so glad to have you with us dear. What Cynner007 shared is so true ... you just had major surgery. Even though it was laparoscopic, they did everything the same on the inside and your body needs to heal.

I am so sorry that people don't understand ... if someone has never had a hysterectomy, they have no idea about recovery and how fast you heal. If they have had one, they have forgotten what recovery was like. This recovery is different from any I have gone through, including double knee replacement ... this isn't a "push harder" recovery but it is a "rest harder" one. Swelly Belly is your body's reaction to the trauma ... it tends to stay around for a bit but it will get better, honest. I'm sure you have already noticed that it is worse by evening ... try to rest with your feet up when you get home.

Your job is very dear to my heart ... I was head of Tech Services in an academic library for 21 years. I know all that you end up pushing around, lifting, etc. Please, pretty please be careful dear ... I ended up prolapsing again after surgery. My URO/GYN said it was because of all the pushing and lifting I did ... I don't want that to happen to you. You are through the initial part of recovery but total recovery can take 6 months or so. I don't want to scare you dear ... I just want you to be very careful. Lifting only a gallon of milk until 6 weeks is the norm. Pushing a heavy cart of books is a big jump. It would be worth contacting your doctor and asking for a note so you can get help with the heavy stuff.

Love to you dear ... you can vent with us anytime. We're to listen and help in anyway we can
Unread 12-15-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlee60 View Post
This was the biggest mistake of my life. I want my old self and my life back.

UTI, infected incision, staph infection on face, the whole experience has been a nightmare that has brought back childhood trauma.
I cry all the time.

I have changed oncologists and will be seeing a counselor Thursday.
I have nothing but regret.
Oh my dear karlee, I am so very sorry for all you have been through. Sending you filled with lots of love. I'm sorry it has brought back childhood trauma. Even though mine is different, I know it can be triggered which can cause all of it to come back to the surface. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers dear.

I'm so glad you are seeing a counselor tomorrow ... praying you will get the help you need. Please keep us posted dear.

Remember you are not alone.
Unread 12-16-2021, 01:27 PM

Had my 6 week post op appointment yesterday. I’ve been having some tightness on the left side of my abdomen and it wraps around my back. Still having swelly belly as well. My doctor isn’t concerned though because I am not having pain. Instead it is all just annoying.

He took a look at my laparoscopic incisions which have healed well. One still has a scab after 6 weeks but it doesn’t look infected so that was reassuring. He also did a speculum exam to see the healing of my cuff as well as manual exam to make sure the cuff was holding well. He said everything looks like it is healing well. I do have a stitch or two that have not dissolved. I have not had a single drop of blood since surgery which is really such a relief. I am beyond thrilled to never have a period again.

In the last week, my mood has dipped quite a bit but that could be my normal depression that gets worse at this time if the year. My doctor left it up to me if I wanted to follow up again in a few weeks. I opted to follow up just because he is giving me break accommodations for work and I’d like to check in about how it’s going.
Unread 12-17-2021, 07:40 PM

Today I had my 6 week post op visit. Things are going well in recovery. My doctor released me to exercise, but advised me to start off not doing my usual full on routine. Told me to gradually increase. Im finally happy to begin. I wanted this back more than anything. He says my incisions on my abs are looking good, the top ones are smooth. The lower two need to heal more and smooth out. Otherwise he says their healing well. The vaginal exam was good too. Says everything is healing nicely. So the only thing he hasn't released me to do engage in , is intercourse. He said Im to wait another two weeks. He also said when I do start , no full penetration, no on top or behind. Suggest missionary is safer to start with. He told me to let my husband know this to go easy and not all in. To gradually get their over time. My doc informed me of possible popping of the vaginal cuff and to notify office if that happens. He told me it has happened with patients that were 3 to 4 months post Hysterectomy. He told me sometimes the vagina takes longer to heal. I told him that Im honestly scared of having sex because I don't want to risk that possibly of that happening when Im ready to have sex with my husband. He said my fears are understandable. On another note. I told him the frequency of my urination is still happening. He said at this time and since my uti test was negative, its unrelated to the hysterectomy. He asked me how often I went and if this was an issue before the hysterectomy. I told him yes, that I had this issue that I brought to the attention of my pcp. He said I have an overactive bladder. So he prescribed a medication for treatment. Told me to let him know if I get side effects or if it doesn't relieve. So I hope the meds work. Well I left the office feeling good that my recovery is going well. I spoke with my husband about sex and what the doctor told me. Also told my hubby my fears and that Im not ready to have sex until I feel both mentally and physically ready. He said he doesn't want to hurt me and wants to wait for me to be ready when I am. Says he wants me and misses me but knows Im not their yet.He reminded me this was not the first rodeo with me. Lol says when I had my ovary removed 3 years ago, we waited when I was ready too. Which is true. Plus I honestly have no urges or should I say sex drive. Im thinking my hormones play into that. My one ovary is probably sleeping still, plus my body is still healing. Sex is not on my agenda.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register