New here - 27 having hysterectomy - HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here - 27 having hysterectomy - HELP! New here - 27 having hysterectomy - HELP!

Unread 10-18-2004, 10:34 AM
New here - 27 having hysterectomy - HELP!

Hello ladies.
I'm new here and I'm full of questions. First of all, I'm 26 right now. My hysterectomy is 4 days after my 27th birthday. Some people think I'm crazy for doing this so young. It's making me wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

My story: I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old. Before I got pregnant the last time, I started hurting with my cycles REALLY bad. After the baby, it got worse. My doctor did surgery and found endo. He lasered all he could. A month or so later, I was starting to hurt again so he gave me a Depo shot. A month later, it still wasn't helping - I HURT! So, he gave me another Depo shot. Few months later, still no relief. He wanted me to try Lupron, but after much research, I just couldn't do it. So, I'm scheduled for a full hyst. on November 16th.

I'm just tired of hurting. It effects my every move. I can't even enjoy sex with my husband anymore. I'm done having children (my husband got "fixed"), so I don't know why I "need" my "stuff".

Are there any other "young" women on here that can share their story with me? Are you glad you had it done? What are you going through now? My doc doesn't want me on HRT for 2 months so the endo will die off. What should I expect? Any other information would be great!

Thank you ladies!
Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2004, 10:50 AM

I had my tubes tied at age 21 after the birth of my 3rd child. If you don't want anymore children hon then go for it. I suffered through 17 years of painful heavyily bleeding periods. By the time I did have my SAH the adenomysis was extensive and it wasn't going to get any better.

Glad I got the surgery and looking forward to more than 1 good week a month!

Hugs
Unread 10-18-2004, 11:14 AM

Go for it, I'm 32 and glad to finally have it over with. I have two sons, and husband got fixed after the second one in 96, but I always thought I'd have another, so I waited for the hyst, now that its done, I'd wish I'd done it sooner, so much of my life wasted planning around my periods, no thanks. Looking forward to a new beginning. And besides the younger you are the quicker you recover from surgery.

Good luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2004, 11:21 AM

I'm 33, had a hyst last November. Best thing I ever did. I lost my uterus and my cervix, but I kept my ovaries. Why are they taking your ovaries? My surgery was vaginal.

Have no fear! It's a piece of cake.
Unread 10-18-2004, 11:24 AM

They are taking my ovaries because the chances of the endo growing on them is so great. I've read so many stories of women that had hyst buy kept ovaries only to have another surgery 3-4 years later to remove them.

My doc said that chances are that endo is all over the place, you just can't see it all right now. Better to do it all. I agreed.
Unread 10-18-2004, 12:15 PM

Zaniest,

Hi there! I am 29 and sched. for a TAH/BSO on Nov. 12. I have no children. I also have endometriosis (st.3-4). My reasons for having the surgery are pretty much the same as yours. The pain had gotten so bad, that I felt like I couldn't live a normal life anymore. I have been on Lupron since March. My Dr. had told me I could do that indefinately with a few 3 month breaks, however the side effects of the Lupron (moodyness, low libido, etc.) got so annoying that I felt I'd be better off once it was all taken out and I could start HRT.

My feeling on the ovaries is the same as yours. My obgyn said she could leave one in, but I felt that if there was the slightest chance of the pain returning, and having to have another surgery, I would just like them to come out now.

Please pm/email me if you want to talk!

Erin
Unread 10-18-2004, 12:19 PM

HI BOY DO WE HAVE ALOT IN COMMON

IM 27 I HAD A TOTAL VAGINAL HYSTERECTOMY ON JUNE 22ND BUT I KEPT MY OVARIES WHICH IM NOW REGREATING SINCE IM GETTING CYST ON THE RIGHT ONE AGAIN BUT I WAS ALWAYS IN PAIN TOO, AND EVEN WHEN THEY REMOVE THE ENDO IT JUST COMES BACK

I HAVE TWO KIDS AGES 8 AND 3 AND I NOW CAN GO OUT AND DO THINGS AGAIN, YOULL NEED LOTS OF HELP AFTER AND LOTS OF REST BUT I HAVE MY LIFE BACK AGAIN AND SEX IS STILL GOOD AND YOU CAN STILL GET THE BIG O AFTER YOU HEAL AND RELAX
ITS MOSLY IN YOUR MIND

YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID IT.... I AM , EVEN THOUGH IM STILL YOUNG ITS SO NICE TO NOT HAVE A PERIOD ANYMORE THATS THE BEST PART BUT YOU WILL NOTICE A LITTLE BREAST TENDERNESS AROUND THE TIME YOUD HAVE IT

I WAS DONE HAVING KIDS TO AND MY HUSBAND WAS FIXED AS WELL

EVERYONE SAID WE WERE TO YOUNG TO HAVE KIDS BUT NOW WE ARE GLAD WE DID SINCE NIETHER ONE OF US ARE ABLE TOO

DONT WORRY YOU'LL BE SO MUCH BETTER GOOD LUCK AND
E-MAIL ME ID LOVE TO HELP OUT IN ANYWAY
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:17 PM

Hey, I'm 30 and had my surgery 2 months ago, after suffering through most of my 20's. I have 2 children and even though I would have liked to have one more, the suffering needed to stop! I don't regret it at all. Even at 2 months post-op I feel so good. No cramps, No pain, No bleeding, No bloating. I did keep my ovaries so No hormones either. I don't think that age should be the deciding factor. Life is too short to be miserable. The other day my husband said "God it is so good to have you back" and it feels good to be back!

Jennifer
Unread 10-19-2004, 12:36 PM

HEY THERE!
YOU SOUND LIKE ME--MAYBE WE ARE LONG LOST SISTERS.
I AM 28, HAVE 1 WONDERFUL LITTLE GIRL (14 MONTHS) & I AM SCHEDULED FOR A LAVH/BSO ON 11-22-04. I CAN'T WAIT!!! MY PAIN STARTED ON 7-14-00 (BAD WHEN YOU CAN REMEMBER). I HAD A LAPO ON 4-01 & THE MD FOUND AN "ADHESION". AFTER HE CUT IT, I FELT BETTER FOR A FEW WEEKS BUT THE PAIN CAME BACK. I CHANGED DR'S & STARTED OVER. THE ONLY TIME I HAVE BEEN PAIN FREE IS WHEN I WAS PREGGO. AFTER MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN, THE PAIN CAME BACK 6 WEEKS LATER. I STARTED BACK ON BCP'S. IT WAS NOW WORSE THAN EVER. SEVERAL MONTHS AGO I DID THE LUPRON SHOTS. I WAS ON IT FOR 6 MONTHS TOTAL (2 INJECTIONS). AFTER I CAME OFF, THE PAIN WAS A BILLION TIMES GREATER THAN B4. THE DR THINKS B/C OF THEY WAY I REACTED W/ THE LUPRON (NO PAIN--YEA THAT IT IS ENDO & ALSO ADENO. I AM SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME "YOU ARE SO YOUNG. ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?" YES!!!!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU. YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT WITH YOU PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME ANYTIME & WE CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT "HOW YOUNG WE ARE & HOW BAD THIS IS"--HA HA
Unread 11-02-2004, 03:17 PM

In 2001 I had a TVH I was 25. They left my ovaries, today I went back to the doc today and now they want to go back in and take them out or start me on Lupron. I am seriously considering just letting them take the ovaries. I do not want to do the Lupron.
Anyway the hyst was the best thing I ever did, and even if my endo has come back now, I got 3 yrs with no pain, and no period. I guess we will have to see how it turns out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register