pain releif and back to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain releif and back to work pain releif and back to work

Unread 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM
pain releif and back to work

I'm new here and am scheduled for a LSH (I think) I work on my feet about 7 hours a day and get paid by the hour too! Not sure about when I'll be able to go back to work. Boss thinks I'll be back for a full day 5 days out. Pain control is the other question. What really works. I'm having my surgery "outpatient" out the same day, is that normal? let me know. I'm pretty green at this, thanks lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Hi Lisa,
Going back to work is an individual thing - some of us manage it a lot faster than others. Personally, I tend to go back to work significantly earlier after any surgery than most would but it'll be up to you and your body. In a standing job, I would be very careful when returning as you put more stress on your abs than you realise and you do not want to do anything to delay your recovery. Outpatient surgery is quite normal for some, I wish mine was going to be this time but my Dr doesn't trust me to stay home so...
As for pain relief, a lot of that comes down to personal preference, or what works for you. I am immune to many painkillers so go the natural route, you may find you need more / less relief than anticipated. Have a good chat to your Dr about it, prior to surgery if possible, but defintely prior to going home. You need to be comfortable.
Unread 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM

I'm having a TVH and get just one overnight stay. It does seem to be a trend.
Ask the doctor to give you detailed written instructions about when you can be released for work for your boss.
Maybe the other ladies here who had an LSH can give you an idea of when they felt okay to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2008, 01:55 PM

Pain relief is something that varies from person to person. Along with my pain pills, I also left the hospital with instuctions to take Motrin 800mg twice a day to help with swelling.

I had vag hyst and went back to work 3-4 hours per day, sitting at a desk, 4 days a week only 11 days post op and this was pushing it. I am almost five weeks out and still can' t return to full time until Dr. releases me at 6 weeks. I thought I would be off only one week! Ask your Dr. prior to your surgery. You are supposed to be off all pain pills before you drive.

If you have an incision, and have a demanding job, you will most likely be off 6 weeks or more.
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:07 PM

Thanks ladies, my worst fear is that when he gets in there (after 3-c-sections) there will be scarring and will have to fight to get "things out"
Unread 09-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Hi Lisa,

I had my LSH just less than three weeks ago. I was back at my desk job a week later (probably would have been sooner, but I was also recovering from Lasik surgery and was having some trouble seeing). I had my follow-up at 8 days, at which time my doctor cleared me to go back to my part-time gymnastics coaching job (no heavy lifting or demonstrating skills, though). He also gave me the okay for some other activities, too, as far as sports and exercise.

I wanted to have my surgery "outpatient". One doctor I consulted does it that way, but the one I opted to go with prefers to keep patients overnight. He admitted afterwards that things went so well he was tempted to release me the same day, but couldn't bring himself to "break protocol". Oh well.

As far as pain meds, they stopped giving me IV drugs about 12 hours after surgery. I got an 800-mg ibuprofen tablet the morning they released me (I was offered a choice of a couple different meds). The nurse did comment that ibuprofen is good because of its anti-inflammatory benefits, too. Never filled my prescription for Percocet. I did take 2 Advil during the afternoon that I got home, not because I felt like I needed it, but because I was warned not to let the pain get too bad. What pain? I decided after that to see how bad it would be without meds, and I didn't have any pain. Except when I sneezed once...be careful of that!

I have experienced a couple instances of discomfort (not even really pain) since the surgery. I will sometimes take 1 Advil before and/or after more strenuous activities. My doctor said to expect some ups and downs, even after a really good first week that I had. The only thing I have really noticed is that I do get fatigued more quickly than I did before.

Good luck to you.
Take care,
Anita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register