Complete hysterectomy & BSO scheduled for 7/26 - can't take Hormones. Looking for Positive Feedback and Support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Complete hysterectomy & BSO scheduled for 7/26 - can't take Hormones. Looking for Positive Feedback and Support Complete hysterectomy & BSO scheduled for 7/26 - can't take Hormones. Looking for Positive Feedback and Support

Unread 07-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Complete hysterectomy & BSO scheduled for 7/26 - can't take Hormones. Looking for Positive Feedback and Support

Good morning everyone!! I am new to Hyster Sisters. I am 42 years old and having a complete hysterectomy on July 26, Everything will be taken out. I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer 3 years ago and had a double mastectomy but a little spot came back so I just finished 6 weeks of radiation. I am very very nervous about this surgery. I am having the Davinci. Well not so worried about the surgery itself but the side effects afterwards from not having any hormones. I cannot take any type of hormone therapy due to my breast cancer and about a week after my surgery I am being put on Arimidex. Worried about that too. I just don't want to start feeling bad again and get down and all that. Looking for some positive feedback if anyone has any sure would help. Very glad to be on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Re: Complete hysterectomy scheduled for July 26 very nervous and looking for positive feedback

I don't have a lot of advice for you, except to ask all the questions you want here. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help. My TAH/BSO is scheduled for August 1 and I am nervous as well. I will be praying for you!
Unread 07-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Re: Complete hysterectomy scheduled for July 26 very nervous and looking for positive feedback

Thank you very much and I will be praying for you too!! Yes very happy to be on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Hi Madison,

Is the hysterectomy and BSO prophylactic due to the recurrence of your breast cancer? I was diagnosed with stage 2b breast cancer last year. I was already in surgical menopause because I had a hysterectomy and BSO in 2011. My surgeon recommended that I take the ovaries out due to family history of breast cancer. I took HRT for 3.5 years and now am on Aromasin which is an aromatase inhibitor like Arimidex.
I can tell you that for some surgical menopause is not easy. You may want to talk to your oncologist and your gynecologist about your options. Some women take low dose anti depressants to help with hot flashes and emotional balance after menopause. My biggest issue has been with vaginal dryness and bladder pain from the atrophy. I use a few different vaginal moisturizers since I can't use any hormones.

My best advice is to take it one day at a time. Keep a diary for any side effects and symptoms of menopause especially once you start the arimidex. It can take months for things to settle down but there are other options if you can't tolerate arimidex. That's how I ended up on Aromasin after 6 months on arimidex. Talk to your oncologist about any side effects and concerns. Hang in there, you've got this!
Unread 07-01-2016, 09:36 AM

Thank you so much Molly!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate you answering me back. Yes it is. They are pretty sure that the cancer that came back was from when they did my first biopsy and they said it was from needle drag out where a cell was left. It was the same cancer so that was a good thing but my Onco score was higher. I'm sorry to hear about your breast cancer and what you have gone through.

I actually am on Lexapro, my doc put me on that when I was diagnosed for breast cancer and it has been the best thing ever so hopefully that will help me. Yes not looking forward to the dryness. So what other side effects did you deal with from the hysterectomy and arimidex? I have heard the biggest complaint with Arimidex is bone pain. UGH.

Thank you so much for the advice and I will definitely do that. Sounds like a good plan and it is nice to know if the Arimidex doesn't work there are other options. Do you feel better on the Aromosin? I hope you are feeling better. Thank you again and HUGS!!!!!!!
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:32 AM

Madison, a lot of women use Claritin to help with the bone and joint pain. Everyone reacts so differently to medication so some have an easy time on one but not another. So far Aromasin has been much better for me. I only have some stiffness in my joints which is better when I move. I try to walk at least 10,000 steps each day and keep my weight down. Both help a lot.

As for the hysterectomy and the BSO. The recovery from the hysterectomy wasn't too bad. Make sure you follow post op instructions of no lifting, twisting, bending or squatting. You want to make sure your internal stitches take and you don't end up with complications. I had a harder time with the surgical menopause. Since you are on an AD already it should help get you through. Once you are allowed to use something in your vagina there are a lot of options of moisturizers to try. The No Ovaries No Hormones forum can be very helpful for finding solutions that are estrogen free.

Just remember that not everyone gets the side effects but if you do please speak up to your oncologist! Mine was quick to give me a three week break and then switch my meds.

Unread 07-01-2016, 11:49 AM

Thanks I will remember that. I'm glad you are feeling better on the Aromasin . That brings up another question, how has your weight been since you have been through all of this? Another thing I worry about.

Oh yes I will definitely be taking it easy I don't want any complications. DId you use one of those binders for your stomach? I have heard those help? I do hope the AD will help. I can handle pain pretty well just not the emotional part. Good to hear about the moisturizers.

I definitely will!!!! Thanks again. It's so nice to talk to someone who has already been there.
Unread 07-01-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison1234 View Post
...I actually am on Lexapro, my doc put me on that when I was diagnosed for breast cancer and it has been the best thing ever so hopefully that will help me...
I've been on citalopram for almost two decades due to chronic depression. It's a close cousin of Lexapro (escitalopram). I sailed through natural menopause without hot flashes, night sweats or mood changes and suspect that a lot of credit is owed to the citalopram.

About four years later I had my ovaries (and everything else) removed due to endometrial cancer. Some women get a resurgence of menopausal symptoms if their ovaries are removed after menopause, but I didn't. Again, I think it was the citalopram.
Unread 07-01-2016, 12:09 PM

That is great to hear!! Thank you for the feedback. I hope the Lexapro helps me also. I hope you are doing well now!!
Unread 07-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Complete hysterectomy & BSO scheduled for 7/26 - can't take Hormones. Looking for Positive Feedback and Support

I am worried about menopause too. I have been taking Brintellix for depression and anxiety for 2 years so I'm going to stay on that for the first months and then decide if I want to add hormones or not. I may end up not needing them and that would be fantastic. I'm so sorry you ladies have had to deal with cancer and those medications as well. You are both so strong. Best wishes for easy recoveries.

QUOTE=Madison1234;4800458]Thanks I will remember that. I'm glad you are feeling better on the Aromasin . That brings up another question, how has your weight been since you have been through all of this? Another thing I worry about.

Oh yes I will definitely be taking it easy I don't want any complications. DId you use one of those binders for your stomach? I have heard those help? I do hope the AD will help. I can handle pain pretty well just not the emotional part. Good to hear about the moisturizers.

I definitely will!!!! Thanks again. It's so nice to talk to someone who has already been there.[/quote]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register