Low back pain/sciatica | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Low back pain/sciatica Low back pain/sciatica

Unread 11-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Low back pain/sciatica

Hi,
Anyone out there have low back pain with sciatica flare? Looking for suggestions...I hope it goes away with surgery ( I have to have a rectocele repair too).
Thanks,
Bless You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Low back pain/sciatica

Hi, I have a bit of arthritis in my lower back and when it acts up sometimes it pinches nerves and sends the pain down my legs. I haven't notice any difference since my tah/bso. I didn't have a rectocele though so I hope that your pain will get better. Have you asked your dr what to expect?

Sending lots of good wishes.

s s
Unread 11-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Low back pain/sciatica

I started having back pain when my DD was 6 months old. I can even rember the date. I have had X-Rays, MRI's, physical therapy, even had talk of surgery (I was against it). I never figured it could come from problems with my period. After reading posts, I am hoping that maybe the surgery will help with my back. I never knew about my enlarged uterous, or large cyst on my ovary untill recently. It would be wonderful if the hyst. helps my back too. A real 2 for 1! I hope that it will help yours also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Low back pain/sciatica

Hi, I had horrible sciatic nerve problems about the same time I noticed I'd lost my waist line last January. Now it all makes sense since I had very fast growing fibroids - ended up with 12 and my uterus was 9 times larger than normal. Right after surgery I had the horrible sciatic pain again, but I haven't had any pain there since I came home about a week ago. While the Dr. wouldn't say for sure, he thought the enlarged uterus could be causing the problem which is agreement with my chiropractor thought. I hope so!

Good Luck, Gail in MN
Unread 11-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Low back pain/sciatica

Hi Christina,
I am hoping for a 2 for 1 also. I have always had lower back problems but they were usually muscle strains. About 2 years ago I got diagnosed with sciatica. I flared again last year about this time. I have read that adenomyosis and an enlarged uterus can press on nerves that can mimic sciatica. Even when I was diagnosed the first time the doctor was surprised because she said I was kind of young to have sciatica. I am more convince than ever that it was this nasty uterus. I hope for both of you the outcome is what we are hoping for. Keep you fingers crossed.

Maria
Unread 11-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Low back pain/sciatica

Hi there. Im new here but saw your post. I have pain and right hip, leg pain too. But I also had a spinal fusion last year. MY orth tells me that some of my pain may be from my other problems as well. I know that from my experience, pain meds, rest and heat/cold packs work well.I go to physical therapy 2x a week too. Also I try to get a massage as often as I can. It not only makes you feel pampered, but helps with muscle pain too. Have you talked to your doctor about your pain? He/she may be able to help with that. I know my back problems are not all from my "girl" stuff. But I have read that it can affect your back as well. Hope you feel better. Make sure you call your doctor!!
Unread 11-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Low back pain/sciatica

Hi,
Had TAH 2 1/2 weeks ago. My main symptoms prior to surgery were back pain and sciatica - Doc found the fibroids (2 large) while trying to diagnose the back stuff. So far ( but I haven't really done much of anything) the back pain is gone, sciatica is gone - still infrequent numbness in leg.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

Sara
Unread 11-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Low back pain/sciatica

Hi ladies,

For those of you going into surgery with back problems, PLEASE mention this to everyone who will listen when you get to your surgery date. There are some things they can do in positioning you during surgery that may help to alleviate any post-op discomfort.

Also, with your doctor's permission, if you have enough time before surgery, you may want to do some stretching and toning exercises for the back to strengthen the muscles that will be strained more to support the abdomen after surgery.
Unread 11-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Low back pain/sciatica

Bless you ~ I was so afraid of what my surgery would do to my sciatica, more so than the hyst itself. I was pleasantly surprised that it was much, much better for a while. At first I attributed it to the stronger pain meds or distraction from the post-op pelvic pain. Later, I knew it was actually better. I couldn't wait to tell GYN about my miracle cure! But... as my activity increased the sciatica gradually came back. I think my down time was good for it though. When I started sitting more, doing stairs more and especially when I started back driving - the sciatica returned. So, maybe this will be a good time for you afterall and maybe you will get a 2-for-1 that will last.

Best Wishes~ Beth
Unread 11-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Low back pain/sciatica

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for your responses...I'll keep you updated...
I am going in next Monday for another epidural steroid injection.
Surgery pending end of Nov or Dec for vaginal hyst and rectocele.

Bless You All!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register