No ovaries, taking HRT: Breast pain on Estrogen Only patches | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No ovaries, taking HRT: Breast pain on Estrogen Only patches No ovaries, taking HRT: Breast pain on Estrogen Only patches

Unread 08-03-2021, 03:58 AM
No ovaries, taking HRT: Breast pain on Estrogen Only patches

Hi,
I have BRCA2, had bilateral preventative mastectomy 11 years ago, had preventative oavriohysterectomy 3 months ago. I have been on estrogen only patches since the gynaecological surgery. I have had quite severe pain in my remnant breast tissue. My gynaecologist seemed unconcerned with this, but I have been anxious for 2 reasons : 1. The pain is hard to bear 2. I'm worried about triggering breast cancer. I have taken things into my own hands and lowered my dose of estrogen by chopping up the patches, and this has helped greatly reduce the pain, but I'm still experiencing some discomfort approximately 12 hours after the application of a fresh patch material. I'm not experiencing hot flashes, so I'm using that as a guide that I'm getting moderately sufficient estrogen, but I'm unsure if it's enough for brain and heart health. Anyone who can share experiences or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2021, 12:54 PM
Re: Breast pain on Estrogen Only patches

I know there are members of this site who have experienced breast pain who are using estrogen only, and hopefully they will be along to share what has helped them.

How often do you change your patches, what is the dose, and where are you placing them? I've always read, and it makes sense, that we should use the lowest dose to keep symptoms at bay. How much is required to maintain brain and heart health, along with bone health, vaginal health, etc. is a good question for your doctor.

Have you discussed your concerns with your oncologist?

Unread 08-17-2021, 04:59 PM
No ovaries, taking HRT: Breast pain on Estrogen Only patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Sky View Post
Hi,
I have BRCA2, had bilateral preventative mastectomy 11 years ago, had preventative oavriohysterectomy 3 months ago. I have been on estrogen only patches since the gynaecological surgery. I have had quite severe pain in my remnant breast tissue. My gynaecologist seemed unconcerned with this, but I have been anxious for 2 reasons : 1. The pain is hard to bear 2. I'm worried about triggering breast cancer. I have taken things into my own hands and lowered my dose of estrogen by chopping up the patches, and this has helped greatly reduce the pain, but I'm still experiencing some discomfort approximately 12 hours after the application of a fresh patch material. I'm not experiencing hot flashes, so I'm using that as a guide that I'm getting moderately sufficient estrogen, but I'm unsure if it's enough for brain and heart health. Anyone who can share experiences or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
Hey Sunny!

My gosh, you poor thing! Although I don’t experience the type of pain you do, I know how stressful pain can be

I do have a question for you though. Your doctor has you on estrogen only patches. What about testosterone replacement as well? We as women must have testosterone too. Testosterone is not only for men. We only need approximately 1/10 of what men need. With this being said, it is still vital and crucial for us to have. Having only estrogen is not good…. And especially estrogen. Estrogen will tend to hijack our bodies. Your estrogen levels will go through the roof, in addition to your progesterone and cortisol. Our bodies crave and thrive on having harmoniously balanced hormones. This is something that unfortunately and sadly too many physicians do not educate us on this very important topic nor wish to. If more people were educated on how vital having balanced hormones are, our health issues would be a fraction of what they are, if at all.

Having elevated estrogen levels and/or no testosterone brings about weight gain, prominent weight gain in the midsection, water retention, obesity, depression, insomnia, heart disease, cancer, decreased sex drive, lethargy, inability to lose weight and decrease body fat, type-2 diabetes, difficulty concentrating…. The list is endless.

Please, please, please ask your doctor about having a complete hormone replacement therapy regimen. If a doctor tells you that such and such thing is ‘normal for your age’ run fast and find another doctor.

I truly hope this helps…. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2021, 05:01 PM
Re: No ovaries, taking HRT: Breast pain on Estrogen Only patches

I was told by doc that .5mg estradiol or .25 patch was beneficial for menopausal women to take, esp ones in surgical meno to prevent Osteoporosis, cardio problems, and alzthimers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register