LSH 6 days post hysterectomy: Awful cramps before BM! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post hysterectomy: Awful cramps before BM! 6 days post hysterectomy: Awful cramps before BM!

Unread 06-29-2020, 02:38 PM
6 days post hysterectomy: Awful cramps before BM!

Hi all,
I’ve been wondering whether or not to ask this but thought why not!
I’m 6 days post-op and I’m having this awful thing right before I pass a bowel movement where I get this almighty pelvic cramp - incredibly painful - before the release and then it’s fine. Is this normal?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2020, 04:03 PM

I screamed in pain before a poop or big fart came out. Was painful but passed quickly. That might be the same thing I had and I think its from all the gas. It happened to me during my periods before surgery and I had the most painful trapped gas with every period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annadouglas View Post
Hi all,
I’m 6 days post-op and I’m having this awful thing right before I pass a bowel movement where I get this almighty pelvic cramp - incredibly painful - before the release and then it’s fine. Is this normal?!
Unread 06-29-2020, 04:17 PM

Omg so painful! Like gripping the sink because it’s so awful painful! I hadn’t thought of the gas - you’re probably quite right there! Glad I’m not alone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarbell View Post
I screamed in pain before a poop or big fart came out. Was painful but passed quickly. That might be the same thing I had and I think its from all the gas. It happened to me during my periods before surgery and I had the most painful trapped gas with every period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2020, 04:28 PM

Exactly! I was at the store and im like “its coming its coming” ouuuchh bracing myself! Haha!

Quote:
Omg so painful! Like gripping the sink because it’s so awful painful! I hadn’t thought of the gas - you’re probably quite right there! Glad I’m not alone!!
Unread 06-29-2020, 08:40 PM
Re: Awful cramps!

Oh yes I remember that feeling. It was awful! The pain was all over my abdominal area and I had to squeeze my tummy really hard. But after the gas and BM, it would go away. By 2 weeks, it was gone and I was having normal BMs. A fiber capsule twice a day and lots of water did the trick.
Unread 06-30-2020, 04:44 AM
Re: 6 days post hysterectomy: Awful cramps before BM!

I regularly experience mild cramping ahead of a BM, which commonly occurs when the muscles of the rectum contract to let the brain know that there's stuff in there waiting to come out. The more intense cramps are commonly caused by the same prostaglandins that produced our old menstrual cramps, which are produced as a normal part of the healing process, and end up overstimulating the smooth muscles inside your intestinal tract. Magnesium from dark chocolate, leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, and almonds can help by relaxing those smooth muscles and encouraging normal bowel functioning. Also avoid foods high in sugar alcohols, which are among the biggest gas producers, and whose stimulant effect can aggravate cramping, including apples, pears, plums and prunes, apricots, cherries, peaches, nectarines, and artificially sweetened products - check the ingredients list for anything ending in itol; also watch out for oligosaccharides, complex sugar molecules found in legumes, onions and garlic, and cruciferous vegetables, another well-known gas producer. In addition to plenty of water, top drink picks include peppermint tea, fennel or coriander seeds steeped in hot water for a delicious tea, and a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. Best wishes for moving past this stage soon, and for your continued recovery!
Unread 06-30-2020, 01:07 PM

That’s exactly it! Thank you for the advice. Just have to remember eh; this will pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isanfren View Post
Oh yes I remember that feeling. It was awful! The pain was all over my abdominal area and I had to squeeze my tummy really hard. But after the gas and BM, it would go away. By 2 weeks, it was gone and I was having normal BMs. A fiber capsule twice a day and lots of water did the trick.
Unread 06-30-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Hi all,
This sounds exactly like my "new" normal. It certainly makes it easy to know when I have to go but boy is it painful and inconvenient!
I will get an awful gas cramp... pass the gas... thinking that was it... but no... theres always a hurried and painful trip to the bathroom to follow.
I'm hoping our innards will settle sooner than later.
Unread 07-01-2020, 07:38 PM

Not gonna lie, I was lurking and reading this thread while experiencing bad cramps!

I have a history of IBS (though I wonder how much of the symptoms I attributed to IBS were due to the fibroids/inflammation/pressure than actual IBS). I'm 5 days post-op and I was doing fine regarding BMs until tonight, when I got hit with some massive cramping and spasms. I'm glad to know it's not just me, and I hope this passes in time. As I type this I'm curled in bed with a hot water bottle and doing deep breathing to try and manage (because my anxiety spikes too!).

I have been using fiber supplements and in a bit I will go get some hot tea as that should help a bit too. Hot water bottles and heating pads are a saving grace, as is applying gentle pressure to my abdomen (with a stuffed animal/pillow or the hot water bottle itself). This is all stuff that has worked in the past too. Hoping it gets better in time, I really was hoping that I would be dealing with fewer cramps/spasms post-surgery. I don't have anything super useful to offer except the knowledge that you're not alone!
Unread 07-01-2020, 07:48 PM

Awww sorry to hear this. It's awful isn't it!
I'm now 8 days post-surgery and it seems to have mostly past. I am getting the odd cramp but am now down to just Paracetamol during the day and relatively pain-free. I hope it eases up quickly for you too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Not gonna lie, I was lurking and reading this thread while experiencing bad cramps!

I have a history of IBS (though I wonder how much of the symptoms I attributed to IBS were due to the fibroids/inflammation/pressure than actual IBS). I'm 5 days post-op and I was doing fine regarding BMs until tonight, when I got hit with some massive cramping and spasms. I'm glad to know it's not just me, and I hope this passes in time. As I type this I'm curled in bed with a hot water bottle and doing deep breathing to try and manage (because my anxiety spikes too!).

I have been using fiber supplements and in a bit I will go get some hot tea as that should help a bit too. Hot water bottles and heating pads are a saving grace, as is applying gentle pressure to my abdomen (with a stuffed animal/pillow or the hot water bottle itself). This is all stuff that has worked in the past too. Hoping it gets better in time, I really was hoping that I would be dealing with fewer cramps/spasms post-surgery. I don't have anything super useful to offer except the knowledge that you're not alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register