LAVH Depression, 10 days post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression, 10 days post hysterectomy Depression, 10 days post hysterectomy

Unread 06-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Depression, 10 days post hysterectomy

Hi everyone! I’m new here and post surgery. It’s been quite the experience. My main issue right now is depression. It seems it hits me in the afternoons the worst. I’m now wondering if this ever gets better?! I am so sick of being sad and low. I’m wondering if my HRT is enough. They only put me on Estrogen. I’ve read some of you guy’s forums that explained how y’all are on both E and T. I’m not sure why they didn’t offer that to me. So confused. And down. Any info or personal experiences with depression post surgery would be great! And I hope all of you out there are healing and doing well!

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2020, 05:02 AM
Re: Depression, 10 days post hysterectomy

Finding the right balance with your HRT can go a long way towards easing your depression; your doctor can help you with that. Another common cause of post-op depression is a drop in serotonin levels, because 90% of it is produced inside your intestinal tract, and depends on the friendly bacteria living in there, which may have been affected by antibiotics used in the surgery; probiotics from yogurt, kefir, unpasteurized sauerkraut, or a high-quality supplement can help to restore them. Other helpful supplements, which I regularly include in my diet, include a B complex supplement, Vitamin D, and omega 3 fats from fatty fish, walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, or a fish oil supplement with your doctor's approval. Another thing that really helps with my depression is regular exercise, so go outside for a walk, or check YouTube or other online platforms for at-home options. Feeling like you're stuck at home with nothing to do because of the current situation can also contribute to depression, but you can find plenty to do if you just search for it; that can include online socializing with your friends, finding a new game or puzzle app for your mobile device, taking an online course, or taking up a new (or old) hobby - I'm currently into knitting, whose repetitive motions I find quote soothing, and I regularly stay in touch with my fellow knitters via e-mail. Sending you my warmest hugs, and best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 06-30-2020, 05:18 AM
Depression, 10 days post hysterectomy

and

Have you suffered from depression before? Do you have a therapist that you see on a regular or semi regular basis? If so, I would suggest you get in touch with her. You don’t mention whether or not you had your ovaries removed. If you did you’re in surgical menopause, but even if you kept them, the trauma of surgery and the compromised blood supply can have them off-line for a while. Either one can leave us with symptoms of a hormone imbalance and can exacerbate anything we’re feeling emotionally—this surgery can leave us feeling very alone as it is. If you have taken meds for depression in the past, you may need to revisit that now or have your current meds tweaked.

You were given some good links in the New Member Center. One I'd like to highlight is your Recovery Thread, a dedicated group chat for women who had surgery the same week as you at Recovery Progress Reports for June 15-21. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company.

Please know that you are not alone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2020, 06:00 AM

Thank you all so much. I did, in fact, have both ovaries removed. I also had an anxiety Disorder prior to surgery which was thought to be caused by the hormonal imbalance I suffered from. My hormones were very very out of sync which kept me in constant anxiety. I haven’t really suffered from the depression side before. I am on an antidepressant, Paxil, which I was on prior to surgery for the anxiety. But it isn’t helping. I’m just a mess. I will talk to my doctor about it for sure. Thank you so much for your advice and input.

Hugs!!
Kris
Unread 06-30-2020, 07:05 PM

I live with depression and anxiety too. You're not alone, and I'm really glad you're planning to talk to your doctor(s) about exploring solutions! I recommend telling your gynecologist about this new depression as well as your mental health provider.

I kept my ovaries but i went through periods of my ovaries being completely shut down, first from Lupron and then post surgery, and YES there was a noticeable improvement in mood for me when i started having sex hormones again. However, now that i'm on an estrogen cream, i'm noticing that too much estrogen and too little estrogen are both a problem for me. It's subtle, tho. The sex hormone that is NOT subtle for me is progesterone. Holy moly, progesterone was a HUUUUUGE culprit in making my depression worse. I had to quit progesterone-only birthcontrol pills because they were giving me horrible depression, and i had to be super careful with the progesterone add-back therapy i was given while i was on Lupron.

In addition to the hormonal component, i know for a fact that the circumstances of my life are a huge trigger for depression and/or anxiety. Particularly feeling like i have little control in my own life. Being in pain too. And long periods of being alone, or too much time with too much together time and not enough quality me-time. And feeling like i'm not making a difference at all in this world. All of those feelings were stirred up at one point or the other during my recovery.

And then there's such a thing as post-operative depression, as an after-effect of the physical trauma. Post-op depression is not typical with hysterectomies except for people who have a history of depression and people who are struggling with the reasons for having had the surgery. I knew that i could expect that depression might be a part of my recovery journey - and that made it easier to deal with when the depression hit. (My particular kind of depression responds really well to cognitive behavioral therapy and other 'life hack' solutions, so understanding what's happening and being mentally prepared is very helpful for me.)

I hope you figure out what's triggering the depression for you, and get some good help from your medical providers, and that you find your way back to feeling better! *hugs*

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register