Pcos | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-06-2003, 07:22 AM
Pcos

Does anyone here have PCOS?

Did the hysterectomy help at all in those with it and who had their ovaries taken?

It's my understanding that it may not do a thing to change it since more is involved then just the reproductive organs. At least I Know my ovaries won't be aching all the time!

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Pcos

Hi, Robin! It seems there aren't any hystersisters at present with PCOS, though I've seen quite a few here in the past. Some have gotten good relief from pain after their hyst, so I hope that will be your case, too. Here is a link to other sites about PCOS:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ght=polycystic

You also can go up to "search" in the upper right corner and type in "polycystic" for past threads on this.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ght=polycystic

s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 06-06-2003, 11:57 AM
I Have PCOS

My doctor has told me that the surgery will take care of the problems I'm having from PCOS. I've never heard anyone say that PCOS extends beyond the ovaries, but it's possible. Every time I discuss it with a doctor, they tell me it's hereditary and that it affects the ovaries. Although until I got to comparing notes with my mother about her and my grandmother we never realized what was going on with them. They had the same symptoms and were just told they needed a hysterectomy, not what the cause of it was. Now 60 years later, we know the reasoning behind it.

I have been having so much trouble with bleeding and pain, that they told me the only way to be relieved is for the TAH. We'll see what happens, but I have complete confidence that I will be back to 100% when this is all over. Although I'm not sure what 100% is, it's been so long.

I hope it helps to know that there is someone else out here with PCOS. Until I found this website, I had never known anyone else who had it - even though the doctors all told me there were. I know I felt like I was the only one in the world, but it helps now to know that there are others in my situation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2003, 12:03 PM
PCOS

Hi Robin,

I also have PCO's and did have both ovaries removed. Prior to my surgery I never did have any problems with pain (thankfully), but others here have said they were happy to be pain-free at last.

However, the other symptoms do not go away...too bad, I was hoping too :-)

I hope that you will be pain-free afterwards, that your surgery goes well, and that you have a speedy recovery!!!! :-)

Good Luck!!

Richelle
Unread 06-06-2003, 12:10 PM
PCO's

Hi Rhonda,

If your surgery is taking care of all your problems related to PCO's then I'm so happy for you. I, on the other hand, suffer from the hirsutism and weight that often comes with PCO's. That part, unfortunately, does not get better by removing the ovaries. I sure wish it did, but it does not...I had hoped though :-)

I hope everything goes well for you...good luck on Monday and have a speedy recovery!!!!

Richelle
Unread 06-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi from another Robin

Wow....I was just diagnosed today with PCOS. I will find out next week whether I have diabetes. The "H" word was given as an option, which is something I've thought about for years. I'm tired of have 12, 15 and 20 day periods every single month. I'm overweight so it appears there are more risks. I have a lot to think about. I'm glad another sister recommended this site.
Unread 06-06-2003, 04:54 PM
PCOs

Hi KaiRobin,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis of PCO's, but glad you were referred to this site...I've gathered a ton of information here...not necessary related to PCO's of course, but certainly to "H" and hormone replacement etc. Plus, it's just a great place to ask questions and gather feedback.

PCO's has a number of symptoms: hirsutism (excessive body/facial hair), male pattern baldness, no periods (or excessive), lack of ovulation, acne, boils, overweight (often related to being insulin resistant - hyperinsulinanemia which can result in Type 2 Diabetes at some point), improper hormone levels, etc. Whatever symptoms you are having now are probably the only ones you will have...I don't think you will develop more (although I don't know that for sure). All symptoms I've had developed in my teens (I'm 35 in July). There is a lot more information now about the insulin resistant part of PCO's than there was in the past...I remember discussing it with a dietitian (sp?) in my early 20's and she had no idea what I was talking about.

Anyhow, I did not have my "H" as a result of my PCO's, but while we were trying to take only my right ovary (which had a dermoid cyst attached to it and my uterus), the left hand ovary was unsaveable due to years of PCO's. Others here do have their "H" as a result of PCO's and it seems to provide them with relief from pain, heavy bleeding, etc.

I wish you the best of luck!! :-)
Unread 06-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Pcos

What does PCO stand for?

While reading this thread, I recognized a number of symptoms that apply to me and would like to learn more about this condition.

Thanks.
Cecee

LATER : I just tried, unsuccessfully, to delete this post after I found out what PCO stands for by clicking on the links that Ivestaffer provided. It seems I have some reading to do!
Unread 06-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Count Me In!

Hi-
I have PCOS too, I am having a TAH/BSO on Monday the 9th of June. I am really hoping that the pain I have will go away. I also have heavy bleeding, PMS, Diabetes (extremely insulin resistant), and migraines. I have had cysts rupture from the time I was 14 years old. I was never able to get pregnant, but I have a beautiful DS we adopted as an infant. I am also overwieght and have had no luck losing weight. I hope this helps as well. I do have acne around period time, but this has been helped with a trip to the dermatologist.

I will post (after surgery) in the months ahead to let you know if my PCOS issues diminish. It is so good to "meet" and learn from others on this site.

Unread 06-06-2003, 06:08 PM
PCO's

Hi Diana,

I hope your surgery gives you relief from your pain and other nasty symptoms...it certainly seems to in many.

I tried for 7 years to conceive with no luck (never ovulated, no periods without taking provera or prometrium, and no natural progesterone). I have chosen to remain childless now, but am happy to hear you have a dear DS from adoption. I may have considered adoption at one time, but I was "done in" after trying on my own for so long. However, I have many dear nieces and nephews and 2 darling (most of the time...lol) cats...they all keep me happy.

I am currently trying the Insulin Resistance diet (food matching - limiting carbs and eating protein with all carbs). While I'm not sure if I'm losing weight (still swelly belly from surgery and have no scale), I have a ton more energy. Usually by the afternoon at work I'm exhausted...literally could fall asleep...and that's gone...wooohoo :-) However, it's only been 2 weeks and I need to get back on exercise program since I'm now at six weeks.

Anyhow...best of luck to you on Monday!!! I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery swift! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register