Pre-op nerves | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op nerves Pre-op nerves

Unread 09-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Pre-op nerves

My name is Alexis.

I've been living with Endo for 5 years now. The pain and bleeding have finally driven me to have a total Hysto. I'm ok with the decision I'm just very nervous. Surgery isn't new to me but maybe there lays the problem. I'm aware of all the complications that can happen while on the surgery table.

Labor Day will be my last day for a few days to have good, rich food. My Dr. wants me to drink a gallon of golytely the day before surgery. I compromised with her and promised to eat light foods all day and drink 2 gallons of water.

I'll start to pack my bag for the hospital tonight and finsh getting the house in order on Mon & Tue. Any advise from the Post-opers out there for this nervous pre-oper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Pre-op nerves

Just think of this as the beginning of a new chapter in your life, a HEALTHIER one, a BETTER one, you will have lots of prayers and thoughts with you, just remember He shall never forsake you! Put it in His hands and the rest will fall into place darlin!
Unread 09-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Pre-op nerves

Alexis...it's extremely normal to feel nervous...but we're here for you...with tons of luv & hugs....and Prayers galore!

Hi Missdawn...how's the new princess doing? Hope your feeling better and better everyday.

Hugs, Mich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Pre-op nerves

Oh I am feeling much better everyday! The only complaint I have (if you can even call it a complaint) is the fat feet, they are just being stubborn! I'm drinking lots of water and keeping them up, other than that, I'm actually excited about starting my new life w/out Aunt Flo. Good luck to you as well
Unread 09-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Pre-op nerves

I was really nervous before my surgery for the opposite reason -- I had never had surgery or been in a hospital in my life! Yes, I managed 51 years with never going into a hospital. So I was really nervous! My sister went with me, and she was very calm, having had surgery herself years ago for an ectopic pregnancy, and having just in June nursed her husband through prostate cancer surgery. When I told her I was having an anxiety attack, she said, "Oh, you could never have one like my husband's, I had to hold him down! And now he's fine." She made me laugh.

It was a relief to finally get into pre-op and get things rolling. Everyone was very nice. They explained to me everything that was going to happen so nothing was a surprise, and they relaxed me a lot and joked with me. Really, these operations are done so often, and have been done for many, many years. Nothing is risk-free, but the chances of something going really wrong are slim.

In fact, some things did go wrong with mine: they couldn't get the breathing tube in, and they couldn't get the the epidural (spinal anesthesia) to work. I wasn't aware of any of that, of course. But they found alternatives, and in the end everything was fine. So even when things went wrong with my surgery, they fixed it, and I am fine now. Just a little sore and I tire easily two weeks after surgery, and I'm getting better every day.

You'll do great!
Ann
Unread 09-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Pre-op nerves

Hi Alexis,
It is very normal to feel anxious before the surgery, but from most of what I have heard and read (and from my own experience), the waiting IS the hardest part. I had my TAH, LSO for endo done the end of January, and feel so much better for having the surgery done.
You'll be fine, a little gassy afterwards, but fine. Just make sure you rest a lot after your surgery. Don't worry about anything, everything else can wait. Just pamper the princess, and you'll be fine. many s to you,

Aurora
Unread 09-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Pre-op nerves

Hi Ann....another new princess...so glad that your feeling better everyday....I'm looking forward to being on the better side with you girls!

Keep your feet up Missdawn! Your doing all the good princess things!

Take care of yourselves and praying for your quick recoveries!

Hugs,

Mich

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register