Afraid and Not Sure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Afraid and Not Sure Afraid and Not Sure

Unread 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Afraid and Not Sure

I am scheduled for a total laproscopic hyst on 10/4. I have a 10 cm fibroid with a 22 week uterus. I am healthy and have never had any problems or symptoms. I found the fibroid when I was trying to do situps. I have a 16 year old son and a good husband.

I am afraid. I am a nervous person by nature and I don't think I can wait around and see if this gets bigger. I am not currently working so I have time available (although it is football season and my son's team is 4-0 and I don't want to miss games or ski season!!). My doctor offered me every option and I asked him what he would tell me if I was his sister and he said TLH. He also said to take that with a grain of salt as he is a surgeon and believes he can remove anything. My doctor says he would put his credentials up against anyones and he is excited about the challenge of this surgery due to the fibroid size - that scares me!! He said he would switch to total abdominal if at any moment things don't go well. Besides that, I am scared to death that I am going to die when they put me under for surgery. I am planning on writing letters to my family just in case - is that sick?

I am hoping that someone will provide some comment that helps me. Thanking you in advance taking the time to read this post.

Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Afraid and Not Sure

Welcome to the site! I hope we can offer you support and information!

First, many ladies are scared with regard to surgery so you are completely normal! And many of them chose to write letters to their family prior to surgery. A hyst is a major, irreversible surgery that can affect us in many ways and it is a surgery that is not without risks. So it is completely understandable that one would feel fear and doubt.

The one thing I would suggest is a second medical opinion. It is often wise to have a second opinion prior to having a major surgery to be sure that surgery is the best option for you. And an outside opinion may open up more ideas and suggestions or completely confirm what your current surgeon is saying.

We have several Fibroid Resources you may want to read through to learn more about fibroids and the various treatment options for them. The more you know, the better able you are to make the right decision for you. Knowledge can help us be more confident about our decision.

I wish you all the best and am sending many s your way!
Unread 09-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Afraid and Not Sure

1. Get a second opinion just so that you have more than one (even if you have full faith in this doctor).
2. YOU know your history and what is what. If your ovaries are okay and healthy and you have no history or family with ovarian cancer, you CAN keep the ovaries. Personal decision. I kept mine. Same with cervix. There are articles here about the pros and cons of keeping or removing ovaries and cervix.
3. My surgeon was very well qualified with a laprascope and said he would try to do my laprascopically but may have to do it abdominally...I wouldn't know until I woke up. I had an abdominal H. Oh well. It's not that bad...I was back to work on day 6 and riving on day 7. 2 days in the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Afraid and Not Sure

Hi Michele,

I agree...get a 2nd opinion. Even a 3rd if need be. I got 2 opinions myself on my fibroids and I am very glad I did. I had a laparocopic hyst and my 2 fibroids were 9.1 cm total. Also, you might ask your Dr. who will be assisting him. From what I understand, there are generally two Drs during a lap hyst. Maybe that would help to calm your fears too.

Sending best wishes~

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register