OK what's with the weight??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK what's with the weight??? OK what's with the weight???

Unread 04-15-2008, 07:30 AM
OK what's with the weight???

I've been trying to loose a few pounds pre-op and this morning I get on the scale for my weekly weigh in and nothing.... not a pound. I'm so frustrated because I've been really, really good. 1200-1500 cals a day and walking 3-4 miles a day.
I'm ready to cry. My doctor was expecting a huge weight loose and a very strict diet but I know from past experience that this doesn't work for me so I choose the really healthy plan and it's been crappy.
I'm wondering now if something inside me is getting bigger and causing the weight to stay the same. Just the caloric decrease without the extra weight should amount to at least 1.5 pounds. I'm soooo frustrated and now I'm almost ready to do something drastic to drop the pounds but all the research I find says that I should concentrate on eating healthy prior to surgery and that it is not the time to cut back on things drastically.
Anyone having the same problem. Please help. I'm going nuts here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2008, 08:43 AM

Good for you.. dont get discouraged..
i was real sick(pnumonia) before my surgery date.. lost some wieght and was so excited, bummed b/c my surgery was post-poned, but happy my weight dropped. (7 pounds). so as i was feeling better, i was real careful with what i ate. when i went for my pre-op i gained all of my loss back plus some... aaagghhh...i thought the same thing this must be something growing in me... not what i am eatting... now here i am 2 weeks post-op and i have lost a total of 17 pounds , my appitite has been aweful and i am getting to the point where it is improving. so now my fear is will wieght come back ? i am eatting right.. so only time will tell...i think that once i can walk and exercise again things will balance out...
Unread 04-15-2008, 09:15 AM

I'm carrying about 20 extra pounds over what I was a year or so ago, without any discernible changes in eating or exercise. Gyn said my uterus is about 14 weeks or so. I asked at pre-op how much weight I can expect to lose after the hyst (I know, I know, it's not going to be 20) and she said she'd have no idea til she weighed the uterus, but she'd let me know what it weighed. I had figured there'd be a standard answer, but apparently not.
obviously, fibroids grow over time (and I think perhaps polyps do too? but not sure)...but my understanding is that they fairly slowly. On the other hand, my gyn said that they certainly swell with your periods (which could explain my larger-than-before weight swings, that are tied in with my period).
I guess if I were you I'd talk to my doc, about the specific diet he/she had in mind, as well as the expected weight loss.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM

I have been on a weight loss program now for over a year. I have been simply dieting and exercising and I can tell you from experience that you will have weeks like this. Some weeks will be good loss. 1-3 pounds. Other weeks you may not loose anything or even gain a pound or two. That's right. Gain. Even if you starve yourself and workout very hard. With my experience and self learning it seems like you may have to tweak something. Sometimes if we eat too little for out body size your body will go into a starvation mode and hoard fat. Thus you not loosing any weight. I actually was eating too little when I started to plateau and loose nothing. I added an additional healthy snack and it got my metabolism back on track and loosing again. Also, you may need to change up your exercise routine. Your body gets use to what you are doing and thinks it is normal. Toss it up a bit and switch out what your doing. You'll get back on track. Don't get discouraged. I am 5 weeks post op and back to exercise as of today. I did gain some weight while recovering and also gained quiet a lot around my midsection. Swelly belly does exist. Don't stress about it and by all means don't go doing anything stupid to loose the weight. It will come off, you just have to find what is needed to tweak.
Unread 04-15-2008, 09:54 AM

I'm probably more stressed than normal as my one of my daughter's is getting married just three weeks after my surgery and my husband and I are singing at her ceremony. EEK.
I'm so glad you all have mentioned swelly belly thingy because I am actually shopping for my mother of the bride dress this week as I won't be up for shopping post op (I hate shopping when I"m well) Anyway, that will determine the size I buy for the wedding. A friend suggested I get something very loose around the belly so it does rub against the incision.
Thanks for the advice. I've been down this diet roller coaster ride before but I usually don't hit a plateau until around 30 lbs so I'm really surprised that I've hit it this early on.
I'll just keep up the work and hope that all goes well.
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Good luck on your DD wedding! has your doc tested you thyroid? that can make you gain weight. I agree with the others try more than walking maybe add some leg weights & hold some in your hands. can you go to a pool & swim?
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Just a thought as it is something I have been struggling with. I have started walking recently and have found that since then my weight loss has leveled off a bit. It is because I am forming muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. I am definately seeing the results as I am trimmer, but holding steady on the scale.

Sara
Unread 04-15-2008, 04:02 PM

I was told not to step on a scale when dieting and exercising, because exercise builds muscles, and muscles weigh more then fat. Instead use a tape measure and chart waist, hips, and thighs to see if the diet is working.

I also have a hard time losing weight when dieting because I am insulin resistant. My body automatically stores insulin in fat. I literally starved myself and still gained weight until a dr finally diagnosed me with the IR. Currently on Metformin, but not dieting, so I'm maintaining my weight. But will soon start dieting again once I can exercise.
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Are you sure you are eating enough calories to cover your burn?

I know for me regular I need to eat between 2500 and 3000 cals to see a single pound drop in a week, for the amount of working out that I do .. though at the moment am dropping weight like crazy (20 pounds in two weeks am so NOT pleased with the uncontroled weight loss).
Unread 04-15-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxks
Are you sure you are eating enough calories to cover your burn?

I know for me regular I need to eat between 2500 and 3000 cals to see a single pound drop in a week, for the amount of working out that I do .. though at the moment am dropping weight like crazy (20 pounds in two weeks am so NOT pleased with the uncontroled weight loss).
That is a really good question. Sometimes, people drop their caloric intake too low...the body goes into starvation mode.

I have also heard that one should start working out PRIOR to changing eating habits. You need to get the metabolism up and working before you drop calories.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register