Really Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Really Scared Really Scared

Unread 06-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Really Scared

Hi Everyone,
I am really scared to go to surgery(July18) My Dr office called today and set up my pre opt appointment at the hospital for July 14 it is really becoming real now! I will be put on the vent for the surgery due to my lung desease(copd) My Dr is going to do a colonascopy(sp)and an abdominal hysterectomy I think is a good idea too. I am so afraid I will panic,does any one feel like that? I know I have to do this, it is very scary! My Dr is very concern and wants me to get this done as soon as possible. I had breast cancer in 1988 andI did very well with that surgery. I was younger than also 38yr. I really dont feel that I have cancer, and my biopsy came back negitive, so that is good news. Is anyone as afraid as I am? I will post again soon.
Jellybean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Really Scared

((( jelly bean ))), it's been 4 years since my surgery, but I remember how nervous and scared I'd get. You are certainly not alone with that. I think that most of us have those fears and emotions when facing this surgery.
I found that staying busy helped some. My house was cleaner than it had been for years (or is now ), I straightened closets and drawers even. Shopped and stocked my freezer and pantry, bought comfy jammies and just got everything that I could think of ready for my recovery. At night, long baths with soothing music helped me relax too.

Don't forget to prepare a list of questions for your pre-op appointment. I made a list so that I wouldn't forget any.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that all goes well for you.

S
Unread 06-21-2006, 10:15 AM
My hyst is July 18, too!

Jelly bean, we are ladies in waiting for the same date!
I'm nervous too, but the more info I get from this site, the better I feel! You have already shown how strong you are with what you've gone through up to this point!
WE can do this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Really Scared

Yes! I was so nervous that I put off my surgery for 7 years. You are perfectly normal! I spent my time getting things ready too. I bought books, magazines and movies so I would have lots of entertainment when I came home. My tummy pillow was a lifesaver, as was my cane (it helps to get up, etc.) Your hyster sisters are here for you. God bless.
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Really Scared

Thanks all for answering my post, it really helps to be here on this web site! I will keep reading and keep my self busy,and I will post again very soon! God Bless
jelly bean(Bev)
Unread 06-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Really Scared

jellybean,Oh goodness yes,I am nervous as well.My surgery date is right after your's.But we are strong and we can do this.With the support of hystersisters,it help's me so much and everyone is wonderful.Stay strong.
Unread 06-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Really Scared

Hi Jellybelly,
What you are feeling is normal! I had a TVH yesterday and was a nervous wreck right up until the anesthesia. I returned home from the castle this afternoon and am happy to tell you that it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. My surgery was at 11:00, by 3:30 I was out of recovery and in my room where my DH was waiting for me. Around 8 last night, they removed the catheter and had me up walking. Today, I'm a little sore, but taking percocet every 4 hours and taking it easy. DH is pampering me to the max, and making sure that I do absolutely nothing!

I know once I get through the recovery period I will feel better than I have in years!! This site helped me tremendously in the weeks leading up to my surgery. In fact, I made it a point to tell my doc and the nurses about the site so they can recommend it to others.

Take care of yourself. Staying busy cleaning the house, etc. helped me to keep my mind off the surgery. My house is now cleaner than it has been in a very long time, so I can truly takie it easy during my recovery period.

Good luck to you and the other ladies in waiting. Hope you all have an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery.
Unread 06-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Really Scared

No one can be as nervous (or should I say terrified) as I was before my surgery. It took up my every waking thought and I obsessed about it relentlessly for four months before the surgery. I am the biggest chicken when it comes to pain. To say that I have a low threshold would be the understatement of the year.

The morning of the surgery I was amazed at how calm I was. Everything went so smoothly. All of the things I feared never happened. Coming out of the anesthesia was like waking up from a nap. I did not feel any pain. I was in the hospital for two or three days (can't even remember) and they did a fantastic job of pain control because I didn't have much pain to speak of. Once home I only stayed on the heavy duty pain meds for two days then switched to Extra strength tylenol. Recovery was made so much easier because of the information shared on this website. I was totally prepared to deal with every possibility. Spend your time on this site getting advice from those who have been there. I took notes!

My 1 year anniversary just passed a few weeks ago. Would I do it all over again? A resounding YES.

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register