Scheduled LAVH Advise on handling pre-op anxiety | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advise on handling pre-op anxiety Advise on handling pre-op anxiety

Unread 08-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Advise on handling pre-op anxiety

My surgery is scheduled for 9/22/10. I have been dealing with irregular, painful periods since 2007. I've taken birth control pills with no help. So I decided to have the LAVH.

With the countdown to my surgery, I am having a hard time sleeping and I've had several panic attacks.

Any advise on coping mechanisms prior to surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Re: Advise on handling pre-op anxiety

Hi minna2880,

I tried not to think about it - kept myself busy by reading books, cleaning the house before the op, preparing and freezing meals, buying everything I needed for after the op, etc.

I also emailed Nelsons who make the Bach Flower Remedies for advice about anything I could take to minimise anxiety and insomnia - I'm a worrier too! Their recommendations were Rescue Remedy and Mimulus. I used the Rescue Night as it doesn't contain any alcohol. The advice they gave me was:

Further to your enquiry, Rescue Night remedy contains the same five flower essences as the standard Rescue Remedy, (Impatiens, Star of Bethlehem, Cherry Plum, Rock Rose & Clematis), which is well known for its calming properties, plus the White chestnut which is indicated for persistent worrying thoughts, this would be the remedy for you to use. The Rescue Night preparation which is supplied in a non-alcoholic base can also be used during the day in the same way as the Rescue Remedy i.e. it can be taken as often as required until improvement is obtained.

In addition to the Rescue Night Remedy you could consider the use of the Mimulus remedy (which also belongs to the Bach Flower Range of products), Mimulus is indicated for known fears and as such may be of help to you.

For the Rescue Night the dose is 4 drops per dose - this remedy can be taken as often as requred - For the Mimulus remedy the dose is 2 drops per dose - you should take this remedy 4 x daily at regular intervals. You can take all remedies at the same time withour fear of cross reaction.
Unread 08-20-2010, 04:12 PM

I had an LAVH on 7/30. I did not really have any anxiety, because I was focused on getting it over with and feeling better. Life prior to my hysterectomy SUCKED. Now just 3 weeks later things are so much better already.

Try to keep the surgery out of your mind. Maybe cook and freeze some meals, go out with a friend, shop for a few soft comfortable night shirts. Think about how your life may change for the better.

Best wishes as you have surgery and begin recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2010, 04:48 PM

I started having major panic/anxiety attacks...I would exercise and tried to focus on what my life would be like after. I was to the point with pain that I truly could not function. When I decided to have the surgery which took me over 4 yrs, (suffering for 13 yrs) I felt somewhat relieved but terrified. I am typically a homeopathic girl, I have tried everything, but I had to start taking a small dose of Valium. I knew that I had to do something and it would be temporary if I didn't then I would feel like I was having a heart attack and not be able to breathe. If you have never taken it, it is used only as needed so you don't have to wait a month for it to work and within 20 mins u feel better. I have taken something similiar to what UK sister mentioned, but I needed something stronger for me. I wish I had found this site prior to surgery and perhaps years ago, there is a ton of support here for you.
I am 9 days post op and am so thankful I did it to know that I will be 37 on Sunday and will be so much healthier going into my next year.
I am not sure of your history but I hope this has helped and just think you are a every girls dream!
Unread 08-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Hi

I know everyone cant do this but , we went to disney for the weekend. I am now at 2 days til my surgery. We will go see a funny movie. Nothing sad allowed in the house and trying to keep busy doing other things.

I wish you the best of luck
Unread 08-20-2010, 04:58 PM

thanks...I needed that. I left my doctor a msg about my increasing panic attacks just waiting on her to call me back. I just need to lower my anxieties. The only surgery I've had as an adult was a tubal ligation and that is nothing compared to this.

I am ready to get this over with mainly to get rid of the pain. I decided to get the shot and even though I dont have cycles the severe cramps still persist so I think I made the right decision.
Unread 08-20-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had enough View Post
Hi

I know everyone cant do this but , we went to disney for the weekend. I am now at 2 days til my surgery. We will go see a funny movie. Nothing sad allowed in the house and trying to keep busy doing other things.

That sounds cool...
Unread 08-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had enough View Post
Hi

OMG! That is so funny! My husband kidnapped me the weekend before my surgery and we did the same thing, just him and I! We had no clothes or anything. I wore one of the outfits I bought to the hopsital to try and help laugh a little. It will be our secret for a few years! I would definately suggest doing something fun. We rode Space Mountain at least 30 times!
Take care!
Unread 08-20-2010, 05:18 PM

I hope they will help u and not try to put u on long term meds. If u have a good relationship with your dr he should totally understand. He gave me 5mg but I only took a quarter to a half a tablet so it didn't knock me out lol. I have heard a tubal is a pretty rough recovery? As long as I am making myself rest I have felt pretty good.
The one thing I did not expect was for my back to hurt that was the worst part for me, probably becuz it was so unexpected, but they said it was totally normal. I wish u luck and if you need anything I will be hanging out for the next few weeks!
Take care
Unread 08-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the support!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register