Ridge/overhang above incision following open abdominal myomectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ridge/overhang above incision following open abdominal myomectomy Ridge/overhang above incision following open abdominal myomectomy

Unread 08-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Ridge/overhang above incision following open abdominal myomectomy

I had an open abdominal myomectomy two months ago (June 2011) and have a substantial overhang (or ridge/ ledge as it's sometimes described) looming over my 5 1/2 inch 'bikini' incision. I'm quite petite in size and weight, so there wasn't any excess skin to get caught in the incision when they sewed me up, as is the case with some c-sections.
My consultant hasn't shed much light on the overhang/ridge and he said in my post-op follow up appointment, that he doesn't know if it will ever go away (very reassuring).
I've read about healing ridges that eventually go away with time, but I'm wondering if any of the sisters who've experienced the overhang, have found that it's gone away with time (as most of their posts are a few years old now).
Or if anyone else is here is currently experiencing this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Re: Ridge/overhang above incision following open abdominal myomectomy

There have been quite a few posts about this topic. I will tell you what I have told the other ladies...

My tummy looked awful after surgery. I had no idea that this was going to happen. It had a small pooch that was hanging over the incision, it had a hollow running down the middle from my belly button to the incision, it seemed swollen on either side and there was some kind of extra dip in the middle just above the incision. I pretty well freaked about it. I talked to tons of people and they told me that I was going to get stuck with it. I had lost about 30 lbs prior to the surgery and worked very hard to get into shape. So you can imagine what I felt like. So I can tell you that at 9 months post-op, it is 95% better. The hollow running down my tummy is gone, the pooch is 99% gone on one side and about 95% gone on the other side, the hollow has filled in and everything looks so much better. It isn't perfect but I see a huge improvement in how it looks and I can live with that now. I am still exercising and watching what I am eating in the hope of loosing a few more pounds (I am down 7 lbs since the surgery).

The other thing that I have been doing to help is massaging the scar. I was using bio-oil but to be honest, I don't think it matters what you use. I think it is the massage that makes the difference. I have also been using a silicone sheet to help flatten the scar and that seems to be helping. I started the massage at about 3 or 4 weeks post-op and I believe that I began using the silicone sheet at about 4 months post-op when I saw that part of the scar was going hypertrophic (red and raised). My scar is looking better and better. I also have to tell you that I have that horrible type of skin that takes a very long time to heal up nicely. I got kicked back in March from a student and it broke the skin through my pants. I still have the mark on my leg. It will probably take most of a year for that mark to disappear. I am so jealous of ladies who have practically no redness or significant scar at 3 months post-op.

I hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register