Anyone had their cervix removed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had their cervix removed? Anyone had their cervix removed?

Unread 05-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Anyone had their cervix removed?

This Jersey Girl is nervous...I am having my hysterectomy June 28th, and have to choose to keep my cervix or not.....anyone had their cervix removed? Middlesex County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Re: Anyone from NJ?

Hi Janedono,
I'm in Camden County. I am 6 weeks post op today. I had an abdominal hystectomy removing uterus and cervix, leaving ovaries. If you click on the search box in the top right corner and type in cervix keep it or leave it or keeping cervix pros and cons, you will find threads and discussions that may help you make your decision. Discuss it with your Dr have him or her explain why they believe you should have it removed or not.

My Dr recommended that both cervix and uterus be removed. She explained that some women keep their cervix because they believe that it was better for them sexually, but it really wasn't proven one way or the other. I haven't had "actual" sex yet post op, so I can't tell you what it's like after having mine removed. It hasn't affected my ability to orgasm (hope not too much TMI) It seems for me, my sensations have increased post surgery.

Check out the threads, it might help and good luck on whatever decision you choose
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Re: Anyone had their cervix removed?

Hi! You'll find many different opinions about this. I decided to keep mine but that was just my personal decision. My Dr told me it would offer some support for the pelvic floor, but other Drs say it won't. Just do your research and talk with your Dr about it to make the best decision for you. Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2012, 05:56 AM

My Dr is taking mine on May 23rd. She said it is better to take it now, than end up having to go in later and take it. Plus if I keep it, I will still get mini periods, If I am going thru this, I better at least get no more periods out of it. So she is taking it too!
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:01 AM

I had TAH ON 3/6, so no cervix left here. The uterus and cervix are really one in the same organ, so I didn' t plan on keeping mine. I wanted to be period free and pap test free, so I didn' t even discuss leaving it with my doctor.
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:11 AM

Mine was removed. I'm just 2 weeks post-op, so I can't really offer much inside about what my life will be like without it.

My doctor wanted to take it too because I had so much scarring from 3 previous c-sections that it would be very difficult to try and keep it. Also, I have a really bad case of Lichen Sclerosis which makes using the speculum for my yearly papsmears horribly painful. Finally, after a D&C and 3 c-sections, I'm really hoping this will be my last surgery every. I didn't want to risk having to go back in and remove my cervix later due to continued bleeding.
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:51 AM

I had mine removed too! Keep in mind that the cervix is actually part of the uterus and sometimes (not always) the problems that have plagued your uterus can continue if you retain your cervix. Then there are mini periods to worry about as well.

I never knew my cervix was there when I had it and I dont feel any different with it gone. I dont feel that my sex life was negatively impacted at all, in fact it has gotten so much better for me.

It is a personal decision that only you can make after careful discussion with your

to you sweetie!

Unread 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM

I will be 4 wks post op tomorrow. I did not keep my cervix. My Dr never asked but I probably would have voted to not keep it. Since it contains endometrial material you an still have mini periods and it can get fibroids as well which was my problem. I did keep my ovaries.
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:53 PM

I had an LAVH on 3/30...mine is gone as well. I can't tell you if I will miss it or not yet. My GYN said it was inflamed...from path report...and after a failed ablation and hystoscopy with D&C I wasn't surprised. I won't miss the PAP smears, threat of cervical cancer or the constant painful bumping during sex. I would suggest discussing the pros and cons with your Dr...mine said it was routine with an LAVH.
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:32 PM

I am due TAH on 23 May and am also wondering about my cervix. My consultant said he was taking it out but then another doc. Suggested keeping it as it supports the bladder and may cause incontinence later. Was totally confused getting conflicting info. I am seeing my surgeon again soon to discuss further with him, but reading other people's positive experiences has really helped- thanks ladies!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register