Surgery Scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Scheduled Surgery Scheduled

Unread 03-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Surgery Scheduled

Hello.
I am scheduled for surgery on 3/12/08. I seem to be having a bit of a sinus issue/allergy issue right now and wanted to ask a few questions as I am getting nervous.
First, if I just have a bit of a sinus thing, not in the chest or settled in will they still do the surgery? Lungs are clear just occasional stuffy nostril, headache and drainaige?
Also, i was given instruction to do the fleet oral bowel prep. This has me confused a bit as my doctor just simply said, do this the night before and avoid a heavy supper and drink clear fluids up until midnight and then nothing. Do I use the whole bottle? It's a 1.5oz bottle. I have never done this before and not sure what to expect.
Any last minute packing advise for the hospital would also be appreciated.
I am 32 years old, have one child and a great husband to help with recovery but I have never spent any time in the hospital overnight other than to have my son and I am not sure what to pack. I have also always had "repair" surgery and nothing really removed so I'm getting a bit anxious.
Also, I have scheduled to work up until the day before the surgery but I am now thinking I may need to take that day off to do the bowel prep early. If I work a full day I am going to have to start the bowel prep right after supper so probably not until around 6p or later the night before. Should I start it earlier? maybe work half a day?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated and I will definetly visit this site after my surgery - laptops are fantastic!!!

I hope to hear from you guys soon. And thank you in advance for any last minute advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Surgery Scheduled

endoals,
ok yeah you have to drink the whole bottle, make sure your close to the bathroom and plan on staying in there "forever". For what you need to take to the hospital, on this site got to "pre-op" scroll down to bout the middle of the page, you will see "What to take to the hospital for a Hysterectomy" I went there myself and made a list, so its off the Wal-mart I go...lol..about your Sinus issue, thats a question for your doc. Call them tomorrow and ask, they wont mind. I had my hip replaced 4 years ago and as weird as it sounds I enjoyed my stay..lol...nice little vacation...got the Royal treatment..hehe...we are woman, we are always the ones taking care of people, so it's nice to be taking care of for a change. Good Luck on
Weds. I'll be praying for you.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
Unread 03-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Surgery Scheduled

I remember being unsure about drinking the whole bottle as well - but whole bottle it is. I hated the taste and ended up drinking it in four 3-gulp sessions washed down with water while putting my groceries away. I did not have to go charging into the bathroom right away or anything. Later that night I also had to give an enema to myself - which was awful and talk about charging to the bathroom then - whoa! in 2 to 3 minutes. I also had to apply an prescribed anti biotic vaginal cream in a tampon like applicator just before I went to sleep. I packed very simply for the hospital. I took no makeup, just my toothbrush, cold cream chapstick. The one set of clothes I wore (loose low slung track pants and a sweatshirt, flipflops plus pair of warm socks - this saved me as my feet were cold plus I walked around them in the hallways) I wore the same same set of clothes to come back home. I took two very loose very old panties (I was about to toss these) they are the hanes very thin ones that look like pantyhose and sit nice and easy as the elastic is all loosey-goosey. I had bought a nice terry robe which I never ended up wearing (wish I could return the stupid thing now but have thrown away tags and receipt). When I was made to walk around the hallways I just walked in the hospital gown. Every one is different and has different needs. I kept everything very simple. Good luck to you - my prayers are with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register