Gas Pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Gas Pain?

Hi Ladies, me yet again! Sorry but the closer I get to my hyt date the more silly questions I seem to have, Can someone explain about the Gas Pains after surgery? Is it because someone has been poking around inside, or that your bowels are startin to work again? How can I help it go away?? I was told peppermint cordial helps? Any feedback of your own experiences will be gratefully recieved xxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Gas Pain?

I think you hit the nail on the head about the causes of gas. The best thing I found was to walk around the house as much as I was able and drink lots of water. My doctor prescribed a OTC laxative but I eventually moved to the laxative with stool softenener. Being able to have a bowel movement again was a big help, too, but that took several days.
Unread 08-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Gas Pain?

Walking was what helped me most after my tah/bso. My dr said that gas usually does come with abdominal surgery. He also siggested an OTC gas rmemdy; it seemed to help but moving around helped more, IMO.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Gas Pain?

Yes, the gas pain is b/c the surgeon puts gas in your abdomen to help separate your organs so that he can see better inside. Most of the gas gets absorbed on it's own, but some doesn't. Your belly will be bloated and you will probably be encouraged to walk it off. Tooting is a good thing so don't hold it in. I also took a stool softener to help things along. Pain meds tend to make your intestines a little groggy so a stool softener will help you out alot. I didn't have much trouble with the gas thing though.
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Gas Pain?

The gas pain right after surgery is indeed from the poking around and mostly from the gas to inflate your insides so they can take care of business. After surgery you will want to do whatever you can to avoid making pressure on that area and get rid of the gas. These sisters here have lots of great advice.

I drank lots and lots of water, walked short walks when I could- even if it was just up and down the hallway. Like Angels Love said, remember that pain meds can be constipating, but please use them if you need them to help you heal. And yes, tooting is good. In fact, since I had had a bowel prep before my LSH, the nurses said I had to pass gas before I got to check out of the castle (1 day for me). Makes you feel like a 3rd grade boy just happy & proud trying to blow one out!

Immediately after surgery there are some DO NOTS that will help with that gas pain. DO NOT use a straw, or use ice or drink carbonated drinks. All of these introduce air into your system just when you are trying to get it out. Warm drinks like lemonade, tea, etc. help "move" things along. Eat small meals instead of larger ones. At 7 weeks out for me, if I eat a meal like I used to I get doubled over with gas pains. Hey, I figure the new plan will help me lose weight!

For the most part the gas stopped for me at 1 week. Still, I felt/heard some gurgling down there while all my parts were shifting and fighting for the new vacant territory, but no pain after that week. Well, like I said earlier unless I eat too much. Take care and good luck.
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Gas Pain?

I am at 8 days out after a TAH. The gas pains and constipation were so far the worst pain experienced. A stool softener will be your best friend. Begin taking as soon as you get home. Once I started having BMs, my gas pains subsided, for the most part.

I'm 41 and my TAH was for all the same reasons you have listed... uterine fibroids, excessive pain and bleeding and suspected Endo.

I have had so many people tell me that 'the hyster will be so worth it'... I can't wait to be able to say those exact words to another scared soul facing the same surgery.

I wish you luck!
Unread 08-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Gas Pain?

Hi MrsKeidis...
I, too, have had LOTS of gas since my TAH on 7/24/08. I am almost 4 weeks post-op now and the gas has FINALLY gotten better, But it took these 3 1/2 weeks to go away. I did take a lot of Gas-X which did help, but I agree with the other ladies that WALKING is the best way to get rid of it!! I would take short walks and it really did relieve the pressure (unfortunately for me it would come right back again!! ) From what I've heard and read most ladies get rid of their gas by 1-2 weeks post-op so they must have REALLY pumped me full of gas Hee! Hee!
Best of luck to you and please don't worry. Things do get better !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register