Why do i feel like i am obsessing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why do i feel like i am obsessing? Why do i feel like i am obsessing?

Unread 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Why do i feel like i am obsessing?

I still have 2 months until i have my TVH but it is on my mind all the time. I am trying to make lists for myself on what needs to be done, what can wait, what i will need help with, what DH can do and what the kids can do, but i feel like i am missing something. Maybe you all can help me.

1. Make frozen meals (enough for 2 weeks)
2. Get laundry done including bedding.
3. clean the house top to bottom.
4. stock cabinets.
5. Chore lists.
6. A schedule of all activities that will need to be taken over
by someone else.

Sorry to be a pain in the rear. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2008, 10:06 AM

You may have counted this in with 4 above but I made sure that I had enough washing powder etc, toilet rolls, kitchen towels, soap, toothpaste to last me the full 8 weeks.

Also any groceries that keep: Ketchup, Mayo, Tins of Beans that sort of thing.

The less shopping you have to do in the few weeks after the better!

Good luck

Katy
Unread 10-15-2008, 10:23 AM

I have about a month to go, and I'm making lists too. With me , I think its a control thing. I can't control whats going on with my body,so I make lists and control what I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2008, 11:14 AM

Let me just add that no matter how prepared you are, you'll always feel like you're missing something. That happens to me whether I'm getting ready for a trip, a meeting, whatever. Don't let it get to you.

The lists are a great way to get organized, and have some control. But try to remember that if there is something missing, you'll be just fine anyway!

I had less than a week to prepare (probably good in many ways). My doctor called me on Aug 21 to say that he might have an opening on Aug 28. His nurse scheduled me for a tentative pre-op Aug 26. It was at that appointment that we confirmed the surgery date...two days away. I took a vacation day on the 27th to go to our State Fair. I figured the heck with cleaning, making meals, worrying about schedules. I wanted a day to relax. Ironically, my surgeon was going to the Fair on the same day. I believe we both went into surgery the next day feeling relaxed and refreshed after a day off!

Maybe that's what is missing from your list. Put in some time to do something that takes your mind off of the upcoming surgery. Honestly, I never thought about my surgery coming up the next day while I was wandering around the fairgrounds. And all the things that didn't get prepared beforehand didn't make any difference in the long run.

Take care, and take some time to relax.
Unread 10-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Hi Tiffani!

I also had a 2 month wait and initially it seemed like it would take forever, and then before I knew it the day was here! Hang in there, I think waiting can be the hardest part.

When you do your shopping to stock up pantry, etc. I'd also suggest getting the drug store type items that you think you may need afterwards (i.e Gas-X, Body Wipes, Vitamins, etc. etc.)... certainly saved me a lot of hassle to pick it out myself than to try and send DH after the fact. And while I did lots of cooking ahead and pantry stocking, I found I didn't get enough of simple foods (like soup, broth, crackers, pudding, etc.) for when I didn't have an appetite right after surgery (although everyone is different).

I also made tons of lists and felt like I was missing something...but also found that I eventually overwhelmed myself with trying to get too detailed and thinking of every contingency. Too help with that overwhelmed feeling I broke down my To Dos into smaller bits and focused on the priority items.

I agree with acw13 , also fill your time with non-surgery related activities to help take your mind off things. I had some great outings with friends and watched some funny movies to relax.

Take Care & good luck with everything!
Unread 10-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks Ladies! I know that i need to take time for me and i fully plan on doing just that. But i am the spine of the family and i am worried that it will all fall apart when i am down. My DH doesn't do well without direction so i have to have the lists for him, i just need to have faith in my family and things will be fine.

Thanks again for the help!!
Unread 10-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Just remember that you will NOT wake up one morning only to find the rotting corpses of your husband and children because someone forgot to buy toothpaste! LOL!

Your DH is probably better at directions when he is in situation where you are not having to do all the thinking for him. Give everyone a chance to rise to the challenge, and you may be in for a very pleasant surprise!

Also, remember that it's not like you are going to be in a coma for 6-8 weeks! If you see something that needs to be done around the house, you can bring it to someone's attention. Buy a foghorn! lol
Unread 10-15-2008, 02:07 PM

Love the foghorn idea - why isn't that on the list of essential pre op purchases!
Unread 10-15-2008, 02:44 PM

I've already warned my husband that I'm going to be shuffling around the house behind him, pointing out all of the things that he has "forgotten" to do. I think that's pretty good incentive for him to get his butt in gear. I don't nag because I'm too lazy to try to get other people to do stuff; it's easier to do it myself. But if someone's not careful, I'm going to elevate post-hysterectomy nagging to a new level....
Unread 10-15-2008, 04:01 PM

LOL i think i need the foghorn for everyday life!!! I guess i am just a little anal about things being done a certain way. DH is the type that will let stuff pile up until he can't walk before he will do anything about it and then it is only enough to clear a path to walk through. I do plan on getting me one of the reach things and will be using that for a lot of things. I have ideas in mind to keep things picked up and i plan on going through everything in the next 2 months to clean out all the junk.

Thanks for all the support!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register