A Question About Tummy Sleeping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Question About Tummy Sleeping A Question About Tummy Sleeping

Unread 10-15-2008, 06:04 PM
A Question About Tummy Sleeping

Hello "Sisters",
I posted a few days ago regarding my upcoming TAH/BSO and have since seen my Dr. and had my preadmission testing. I failed to ask a question I have about sleeping on my tummy. I don't spend the night on my tummy, but do change position from back, to both sides, to tummy in any given night. I get lower back pain if I don't. Does one have to sleep on back or side, or is it a matter of what is comfortable (regarding pain) with an abdominal incision? It may be a "no brainer" after the fact, when discomfort causes one to position according to what is possible! I've bought a little travel pillow and made a pillow case for it. Will take it to the hospital if it will help me to alter position when sleeping. Have a body pillow for at home.

Any reply is appreciated.

Barb A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2008, 06:12 PM

Hi Barb,

I'm a sometimes tummy sleeper myself, and really missed it when I was preggers. I'm two weeks post op from TAH.
You're right in that the discomfort will keep you off your belly. In my case I found the best way to sleep was half on my side tilted away from my belly toward my back.

I used my body pillow, put the bottom part between my knees and calves and the middle part right up against my abdomen. I wedged another pillow behind my butt so that I could keep any weight off my belly without rolling onto my back ( I CANNOT sleep on my back)

That way I was kind of at a 45 degree angle, wedged between two pillows.
The first night home from the hospital I had crazy dreams and thrased around in the night and it HURT. The next night I figured out how to wedge myself in, and that has worked great for me.

Hope that helps

Sandra
Unread 10-15-2008, 06:26 PM

Sandra, those are excellent suggestions! I wish I know this before! However, I utimately did the same. I am a side sleeper. I put a pillow under my knees and thighs to relieve the pressure of laying on my back. On my back, head propped a little, knees and thighs propped and in the morning, very carefully rolled my whole body out of the bed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2008, 06:40 PM

I'm a tummy sleeper. At first I slept kind of propped up in bed because that's what was comfortable for me at the time. Gradually I was able to sleep on my side and before I knew it I was back to sleeping on my tummy again. Everybody's different and you'll find your own comfortable sleeping position.
Unread 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM

I turn alot too, but mostly sleep on my tummy. I was able to sleep on my stomach as soon as I came home from the hospital (4th night). It was uncomfortable rolling to get there, but once I was there, I did ok. I think we are all different & you will have to see what works for you.

Good luck!
Unread 10-15-2008, 08:31 PM

Thank you all for replying. As you can probably tell, I tend to overthink everything! Didn't have any idea if it would be possible to tummy sleep--even weeks later.

Barb A.
Unread 10-15-2008, 08:45 PM

BarbA
I'm 5 days post-op TVH w/ sling. I found that if I roll into a position.. my body LETS ME KNOW if it's not time yet!!! In the hospital I was All over that crazy bed Had (and will for 10 more days )a cath. It makes it a little hard to be on my rite side....but other than that I'm good in any position.

When all is finished and if you're still concerned...ask the nurses. They are so wonderful......and SOOOOOOOOOOOOO helpful.

Prayers and best wishes for an uneventful surgery and a quick as a blink recovery
Unread 10-16-2008, 06:10 AM

Thanks so much for your answer. I am especially appreciative of your prayers too.

Barb A.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register