I am so scared that I"m sick, 9/22 date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am so scared that I"m sick, 9/22 date I am so scared that I"m sick, 9/22 date

Unread 08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
I am so scared that I"m sick, 9/22 date

hi everyone, i am so terrified about my surgery. i have adnemyosis and my uterus is enlarged and i have a few fibroids as well, i really have been having a terrible time with my cycles and the bleeding. My doc said they could do this laparoscopically, they think. It may have to be abdominal. i have a pelvic kidney which means i have one kidney that floats around, at this time, that kidney is on top of my uterus. a urologist will have to be at the surgery to put in two stents to keep my kidney away so it doesn't get damaged or "killed". worst comes to worst because of this problem i will have to have an abdominal hyst, but because of my being so very much overweight, i'm at a higher risk for infection because of all the fat tissue they have to cut through. i don't know what to do with myself, people keep telling me how "great" i'm going to feel aterwards, but i read the stories of all the pain and i get nauseous, very nauseous. my doc said that laparoscopically it isn't so bad, i want the truth, i think. i don't know if i can do this. any words of advice? please please please
thanks
bernadette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2005, 07:08 PM

Hi Bernadette, It's understandable and natural to be terrified....! I also had adnemyosis of the uterus and endometriosis of the cervix, this was discovered during my total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH). I was sooooo scared prior to my surgery that I was making myself sick.

I had some of the concerns that you do - ie, the pain and i also get nauseous after surgery. But for all the worry I did, the pain was managed and the nausea/throwing up only lasted several hours - better than previous surgeries. Tell you Anethetist your concerns and he will discuss medication for the pain and nausea..... the health professionals have your best interest at heart and will do what they can to alleviate your concerns and pain.

I'm not sure I've been much help Bernadette.... It is a scary time - but you'll be surprised how strong you can be when you have to. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best. Hug - Venice
Unread 08-31-2005, 07:18 PM

Bernadette,
I'm so sorry you are getting yourself so worked up. I know it's hard to think of little else when you have the hyst. looming over you. If your nerves are that bad, maybe your doctor can give you something to calm you down until the surgery. I had a TAH/BSO and I sailed thru it pretty easy. The pain was well controlled while in the hospital, although you do experience some discomfort. They send you home with pain medicine and I did need it around the clock for about a week, but I never felt anykind of unbearable pain. I'm not overweight so I don't know if you'll experience more discomfort with that or not. We all have swollen bellys for some time after the surgery. I chose to have my overies taken and have not had any real meno. symptoms (no hrt) - not everyone does. My Mom had a very mild menopause, so I guess I got her genes. Anyway, try not to think about all the bad things that can happen and focus on the good. When it's over and done with - no more painful periods or PMS

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2005, 07:22 PM

Bernadette.

Know how you are feeling-I am scheduled for Sept. 19th.

Will have a TAH with a vertical cut. I have simply told myself that getting all worked up about it-is not going to make it any easier. Get busy getting your house clean and everything ready-it really does help.

If you are feeling this overwhelmed, please call your doctor and ask for something for anxiety. This is the kind of situations these meds are intended for. And, as I read on here before, a rested princess fairs much better. You will exhaust yourself before you even go in for surgery.

Feel free to email me privately if you like-our surgery dates are so close together.

Sweet Pea in SC
Unread 08-31-2005, 07:31 PM

My first post here was called "scared to death" and I was ....I even cancalled my first surgery date the night before....My new date is only 9 days away.....and counting...to get though I told myself I can't think about it until next Tuesday....thats is 3 days before(look for posts then....hehe...)I am getting everything ready.....the house...cooking...but I won't let myself "think" myself into fear.Fear goes a little wild for me.I am thinking about the pain and problems that have lead me to this descion in the first place.
Take care....
Unread 09-01-2005, 12:10 PM

We sisters can say...

Everything will be fine...you will be okay...don't worry...try to stay positive and busy...etc. BUT...

There really isn't anything we can say or do to pacify you. I know. I was told all those things as I broke down crying everytime I would talk about it with friends or family. Especially when I looked at my kids... I hardly slept the night before my surgery and I was so sick to my stomach and sobbing on the way to the hospital. My DH kept telling me...it will be okay. You will be okay.

Self doubt, fears of making the right decision. It is a roller coaster ride.

All I can say is the day will come. You will be scared, this is natural. But if you have a strong support system at home and if you trust and are comfortable with your doc, these things should carry you through it all.

You have to go with the flow. If you fall apart on the way to the hospital...let it happen. If you cry all the way to the operating room, go with it. It's something that you can't control. Let your doc take care of you and go thinking as positively as you can.

Best wishes and we'll see you on the post op side!

Sarah
Unread 09-01-2005, 12:26 PM
This site really helps

Hi Bernadette,
Im scheduled for a TAH on 9/12 and have known the date since June. I am very anxious and scared about this too. It is my first procedure ever. A few weeks ago I was ready to cancel and just stop worrying about it. I spent a few hours on this site, pre op and post op and found many more positive stories than negative. For some reason, I found some peace in my mind and body after that HYS SIS session. I still think that Yeah, I could live with this pain, but do I really want to ? I am also overweight by about 35 lbs. Next week will probably make it 40-45. Im a nerve eater and this is really trying my fork (haha). My Doc did say a thinner me would have done better during surgery too. I am where I am and who I am and will just get through that part of it. I pray that God gets me safely through the surgery and then takes my appetite for a week or two!! There are so many wonderful ladies on this site and they are here for us and us for them. I hope that you can spend some extra time reading more threads and get the same result I did.
Anita
Unread 09-01-2005, 12:31 PM

I had a LSH and went thru it well...No feeling sick which surprised me since I get carsick at the drop of a hat...I was a basketcase at the hospital and even bawled all the way in...The nurse drew an angel on my pillow so I wouldn't "be alone"...The pain was very manageable...I was alone after 4 days and I did well...Waiting truly is the hardest part...Keep your head up and keep busy...That does help keep your mind offa it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register