Needing a kind word... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Needing a kind word... Needing a kind word...

Unread 09-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Needing a kind word...

Like many women on this board, I am new to the world of hysterectomies and am feeling overwhelmed. I need to talk for just a moment, and I would be ever so grateful if y'all would indulge me. I thank you in advance.

I am 51 and have uterine fibroids that have decided to bleed and never stop. I also have the largest ovarian cyst on the planet (well, I may be exaggerating...) which presents my ob's greatest concern. She feels confident it is benign, but it IS large and needs to be removed. That, coupled with my lumpy uterus and my seemingly advanced age, leaves me with an abdominal hysterectomy (including removal of both ovaries) as my best option.

This is not too complicated, but what makes my situation problematic is the fact that I have a chronic kidney disease in which my kidneys gradually scar over. I've had this for at least 17 years. I have enough renal function left that I don't have to go on dialysis. My greatest concern is that surgery will somehow compromise my kidneys.

I have confidence in my doctor. I understand what she wants to do, why she wants to do it and how she will do it. I also understand that every woman has a different experience with hysterectomy. I have read through many articles and posts on this site and consequently have a good idea of what to expect and how to prepare.

However, I feel very lonely. My family lives far away; my mother is elderly and has just been through Hurricane Ike. She has her own health issues and I do not want to add to her worries.

My husband and I have been married only 5 years. He works during the day and teaches at night (he has 4 kids from his previous marriage to get through college), so I rarely see him. I am new to this town, and I have no friends here. My husband's family is estranged from him (and therefore from me, too); they are here in town, so I can't say that I live under the most welcoming of circumstances. I volunteer here in the community, so I stay active, but I cannot say that I have any real friends here. As a result, my anxieties regarding my kidney disease and now my upcoming surgery (sometime in November) are all bottled up inside, and I'm finding it hard to breathe.

Thank you to those who have had the patience to read this. You are very kind. If anyone has the smallest encouraging word to say, I would be very glad to read it. And to all of those who find themselves in the same boat as me (and I know there are plenty of you), I hope I can be of some help to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Needing a kind word...

welcome to the forums! while I didn't suffer from ovarian cysts, I did have numerous fibroids and am only slightly younger than you. I ended up having a SAH/BSo in late february. I also had a bad case of endo. the dr had to remove alot of endo from my ureters. but there was no damage to my ureters or to my bladder. I am sorry that you don't have a good support system. Have you talked to your dr or to her nurse? I ended up being good friends with my dr's nurse. If I can help you in any way, let me know. does the hospital offer any type of support groups?

I'm am only child and my parents are both in their 80s. while they are in fairly good health, they do have a number of issues and sometimes try my patience! i have to be careful how much I tell my mother 'cause she tends to over-react.

I am sure that you will find a lot of support here. the ladies are great!

take care
Kim
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Needing a kind word...

Thank you, Kim. I'm afraid I don't know what "SAH/BSo" means.

I'm sure I will find support here, which is why I posted. Thank you so much for your reply. Thanks for taking the thyme to read and answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Needing a kind word...

{{{{English Lavender}}}}

Just sending you hugs and letting you know you aren't alone.

Hang in there.
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Needing a kind word...

sorry, all the abreviations can be confusing! I had an abdominal hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries but I kept my cervix. I had to have an abdominal hysterectomy due to the size and number of fibroids that were present. I had also never given birth.
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Needing a kind word...

I'm so sorry that you're feeling alone. This surgery is scary enough with a good support system. I'm sending hugs and good thoughts your way.
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Needing a kind word...

While each and everyone of us here on this site have different circumstances and live in different parts of the world, isn't it wonderful to know that we can be there for each other. I am so glad to have found hystersisters and all the comfort I have found here. Just know that you aren't alone while you keep on this site. Hugs and best wishes to you.
Unread 09-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Needing a kind word...

I can see why you feel overwhelmed. It is fear of the unknown. I feel it, too as my Total Vaginal Hysterectomy is set for Monday. Unbridled panic? Sudden extreme terror? I Have my moments. However you are not alone!

I used to be a renal social worker. I counseled people as they started the process of dialysis. Occaisionally we saw people who had a traumatic injury or major surgery who lost kidney function and had to go on dialysis, but it was almost always temporary. They can put in a temporary line and the actual dialysis isn't painful. After some treatments the body started to heal and function returned. Make sure to talk to your doctor (nephrologist if you have one) about this.

I wish you well and will say an extra prayer for this situation.
Unread 09-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Needing a kind word...

Hey from Australia! You can do it. I did and I have numerous other serious Health issues. Kidney function should not be overly compromised, speak with your Surgeon for reassurance there. I live alone and I managed, you will manage.
All the best.
TAH/BSO 47 years old
Unread 09-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Needing a kind word...

Hi, as soon as I learned of my impending hysterectomy, I immediately was given this site's name by friends and started coming here. Can't tell you how much I've learned!

Thinking of you and your recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register