Questions about hospital stay time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about hospital stay time Questions about hospital stay time

Unread 09-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Questions about hospital stay time

Hi Everyone:

I read about 5 pages of posts on this topic hoping that I am not asking questions that were posted and answered a million times. I am guessing that it probably has been .. but just not in the last 5 pages

Ok .. heres my questions

If you are getting a vaginal hysterectomy of uterious only how long do you normally stay in the hospital?

If you are getting a full hysterectomy uterious, surrounding tissue, tubes and overies how long is that hospital stay?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2008, 07:20 PM

I went in for a vaginal hysterectomy but ended up have to have them cut me open because I had endometrosis so bad he could not move the unterus through the vagina it would not come out, I was in the hospital for 4 days and off of work for about 3 months, I hope all goes well for you
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:20 PM

I had a TAH and kept my ovaries and stayed two nights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2008, 07:21 PM

Hi,

I had a TAH/BSO with a vertical incision on a Thursday around 1:30pm and I had to stay until Monday morning. I would have been able to go home on Saturday, however, my bowels didn't want to work which made me very nauseous and the gas was very painful. After having medicine a couple different times they finally began to work on Sunday evening. So I would say if things go well.....a couple days, if not ....as long as it takes.
Best of Luck
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Your post made me think of something that is bothering me a bit. In the past I had 2 surgeries to cut bowel adhesions. If they do a vaginal removal how will they know if I have any new adhesions? I was kind of surprised she suggested vaginal knowing I had prior adhesions.
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Hi QAManager!

From the Pre-Op Articles list, I hope you will find the following helpful:

How Long Will I Be in the Hospital?

This would also be a good question to put on your list to ask your doctor at your pre-op appointment.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 09-11-2008, 08:54 PM

It varies for each of us. I had a very uneventful TVH and only stayed in the hospital overnight. Be sure to ask your doctor what you can expect.

s, Deb
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:08 PM

I am expected to have TVH-BO and bladder sling. I was told two days, which I clarified to mean two nights. I think how long you stay is determined by HOW things are taken out and not necessarily WHAT was taken out. It is my understanding that a longer stay for abdominal incision and a shorter stay for a Laproscopic or vaginal surgery.
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:11 PM

Hello,
I stayed in the hospital for 5 days. I understand that is normal for the type of surgeries that I had. Back to work in 6 weeks.
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:14 PM

My total stay was 9 days due to the need to stop anticoagulation drugs pre op and transfuse blood to raise my blood count.

I was told that had I been "normal" I would have gone home Saturday morning after my TVH Friday morning. However, I have never done anything "normal" in my whole life! lol

Severe anemia and the need for additional blood transfusions kept me in the hospital until Tuesday morning.

Everyone is different. Don't go home too early and don't feel bad if you have to stay longer. Let the nurses wait on you hand and foot! Make them earn every dime you are having to pay for their services! HA!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register