embarassed not to already know this... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

embarassed not to already know this... embarassed not to already know this...

Unread 12-02-2003, 03:26 PM
embarassed not to already know this...

I'm really embarassed not to already know the answers to these questions, but as my surgery approaches I'm realizing how little I know about my own body. Two questions, and please don't laugh.

1) After my hysterectomy, since some of my organs will be gone, what keeps everything else where it should be? I'm especially concerned about my bladder, because I've heard horror stories about elderly ladies losing their bladders.

2) This one is really embarassing. After my uterus is gone, when my husband and I have sex, where will his ejaculate go? I always thought it went into the uterus, but it will be gone.

Thanks for the answers and for not laughing.

MsGrady
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2003, 04:12 PM

The only sperm that enters the uterus is the ones that are lucky enough to fertilize the egg. Most of it just stays in the vagina and ends up in the toilet. Anything that actually does make it their will just be reabsorbed into your body because I asked the same question about where your eggs go. And that was the answer that I got. As for the bladder thing, that rarely happens and when it does it is elderly ladies that already have a prolapsed bladder that they were trying to repair. Hope this helps you a little bit. My surgery isn't until Dec. 19th but these are all questions that I have researched
Unread 12-02-2003, 04:21 PM

MsGrady-
hmmm, good questions. These are questions that i never thought to ask.

Not sure on the first one, I would hope they are able to tack it up so it stays in place.

The second one made me giggle a little
My guess is they sew the opening (cervix) closed, and it just comes out afterwards. Other than that I'm not really sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2003, 04:54 PM

Sherry is right. Most of the sperm and semen never make it out of the vagina. Depending on whether they leave your cervix or not depends on what they do at the end of the vagina, but basically it will not be open to the rest of the abdomen. So the semen will stay in the vagina and eventually end up in the toilet.

As for the bladder it is held into place by ligaments. If you have any problems with urine leaking they can tack the bladder up tighter so that will stop, (best thing I ever had done!!!) but like one gyn told my mother who has a prolapsed bladder, he guarrentee's that it won't fall on the floor while standing in the check out line at the grocery store!

Good luck with your surgery. Be sure to ask your Dr about all of these things when you see him/her. It is always more reassuring to hear it from the horses mouth!

Caren
Unread 12-02-2003, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sandcastle11
but like one gyn told my mother who has a prolapsed bladder, he guarrentee's that it won't fall on the floor while standing in the check out line at the grocery store!
Come clean off my screen. I seemed to have spit my coffee all over it.

Linda
Unread 12-02-2003, 05:41 PM

I'm glad someone other then me asked the questions. I would have been totally red faced even asking. My surgery is next week.

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register