Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Questions

Hi ladies, This site is great it has really helped with alot of my questions but as I get closer to my surgery 1-17=05 I am getting really nervous. My question is my right ovary is in my cul-de-sac could that be why I am getting so constipated, I am having a TAH
BSO with bladder repair , I have numerous cysts in each ovary and enlarged uterus, I am also worried about being put to sleep.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Questions

Hi Seager,
I wish I could send you some peace of mind through the internet. As everyone says, the waiting is often the worst part of a hysterectomy. We can drive ourselves crazy worrying. I don't know anything about a cul-de-sac and how it might affect constipation, but you might want to call your doctor's office about it. Your doctor or a nurse may be able to give you the answer. . . . Also "being put to sleep" is worrisome, but very, very safe these days. I had general anesthesia. First they gave me a small shot to numb my hand. Then, they put in the I.V. Being a chicken, I did NOT look at it ! Through the I.V., they first gave me something to relax me (something like Valium) and then gave me something to make me unconscious. When I woke up in my room later, it felt like just a second had passed -- like I had just closed my eyes and then opened them again. Most people have similar experiences. So, I hope you won't worry too much about that. I've had several surgeries and procedures in the past five years, and anesthesia was never a problem, though you might want to ask for something to help with nausea afterwards, if you're prone to that. . . . Hope everything goes well for you.

Barbara
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Questions

Thanks Barbra,
It helps alot to here encouraging things, I am just being a big chicken but I've never had any surgery, I worked for a surgeon
for years and you would think that I would'nt be soo nervous but the closer it gets the more I try to talk myself out of it, how long did your surgery take.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Questions

Hi,
My surgery was supposed to take maybe 2 hours, but ended up taking 4+ hours. My surgeon evidently had to make a valiant effort to remove the uterus vaginally, instead of making an abdominal incision. But it all worked out O.K. in the end. . . . Only YOU (with your doctor's help) can decide whether or not a hysterectomy is the right thing for you. But once you've decided, I guess you just have to "sweat out" the waiting period until the day of surgery. Try to keep busy and occupied. That helps somewhat. At least you're only a few days away, and not weeks or months. Take care.

Barbara
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Questions

I had never had general anesthesia until a few months ago and I was very scared about it but I have to tell you it went very well and after that I never worried about it again. I have since had it 3 times in the last 6 months. You'll do great, try to relax. I scheduled a massage the day before my surgery and it worked wonders to help me relax.
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Questions

Hi Seager,

I too am scheduled for 1-17-05 but I'm having a TVH. I'm having the opposite of your problem and i figure it's all due to stress. I am also worried about being put under. I've never had general ansthesia before and I hear all these stories about people getting sick while coming out of it. I was lucky enough to sign up for a drug study that tries to reduce nausea. Bonus, I get paid $75 for doing it. I have started feel better after reading a lot of sisters stories of waking up hours later with it only seeming like a minute has passed. I hope for both of us it goes just like that.

Nicky

Good Luck Next week

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register