Had my pre-op Friday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had my pre-op Friday Had my pre-op Friday

Unread 10-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Had my pre-op Friday

Good evening all.
Well, things certainly seem to be moving faster now. I had my pre-op Friday and the doc had some things to say that left me feeling a might confused and nervous.

My surgery is scheduled for 12:30 on 10/16. I am having a TAH/LSO for an ovarian mass, endo, thickening of the uterus and possible adeno. I had an RSO in 1998 because of a torsioned ovarian cyst.

I don't have to do a bowel prep...yahoooo! He told me that I can eat pizza the night before if I want. He also told me that I can start vacuuming at about 3 weeks and can do stairs no problem from day one. This is so far off of what everyone here on the board has been told by their doc that I wonder if this can possibly be right?

I know that I should follow the doctor's advice, but I am thinking that I may take it a little bit slower than he thinks. What do you gals think?

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Had my pre-op Friday

I've had the RSO in 2001 and having TAH in November.
My doc said I can start stairs once/day as soon as I feel like it.
Nothing specific on vacuuming although he said NO housework for at least 2 weeks. Nothing in vagina for 4 weeks - no sex, bath, pools, etc.
No lifting over 12lbs for three months.
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Had my pre-op Friday

I'm just 2 weeks post op. My doc said to take it easy for the first 2 weeks -- no housekeeping, no bending/stooping/pulling/lifting heavy objects, etc. I was told absolutely no sex or baths until 6 weeks to avoid introduction of bacteria to vagina and/or mess up repair work.
As for the bowel prep ~ good for you! But do be careful. Remember what goes in has to come out. And that, sweetie, seems to be the activity with which most of us struggle! As for feeling good, I haven't felt this great in years. REALLY !!!!

Best wishes ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Had my pre-op Friday

Thank you so much for your reply. I am trying to keep in mind that I should still be good even though the surgeon said I could eat whatever I wanted. I am thinking that soup sounds pretty good. Three days left and it can't get here soon enough.
Unread 10-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Had my pre-op Friday

I know exactly how you are feeling. MY doc too, said oh eat normally...yeah...but it has to come out! I am eating lightly the last couple days....don't want any big globs inside me....AARRRGGHHHH. Soup sounds great right now doesn't it??? LOL
Unread 10-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Had my pre-op Friday

I'm thinking that perhaps I will have my last real meal for a few days on Saturday. I think I may see if dh wants to do a nice quiet candlelight dinner tomorrow night. I am using today and tomorrow to finish up my last minute stuff and I am taking Sunday off to relax before surgery.
Unread 10-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Had my pre-op Friday

Diane,
Best of luck to you on Monday. We here on the board will be thinking of you and saying a prayer. As for your doctor - when was it that HE had HIS hysterectomy???? Stairs from day one my foot ! He must be joking, right? Bet if his wife were having a hysterectomy SHE wouldn't be climbing stairs ! You will be a princess - better practice acting like one this weekend.
Enjoy that candlelight dinner tomorrow night! Great idea.
Best wishes!
Unread 10-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Had my pre-op Friday

I had a SAH 6 weeks ago. I was very slowly climbing stairs (sideways, one foot at a time) once a day (up and down) starting at about 5 days. Its was ok. At about 3 weeks, it got considerably easier.

At 4 weeks I couldn't stand the kitchen floor any longer and swept it with a broom and then mopped it. It was a bit much. I was quite tender for the rest of the day and a little stiff the next but ok. I don't think I would have been able to run a vaccum then, I still haven't tried although I was cleared to do so yesterday.

Julie
Unread 10-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Had my pre-op Friday

Thank you all for your support. Luckily, I live in a second floor apartment and will not have to do the stairs daily. I was just trying to figure out how long I was going to be stuck in the apartment. I guess the only way to figure out what I can do is to try it and hope for the best. My mil was saying that she was having sex 3 days after her hyst and was doing her normal routine at the same time. I am not sure how clear her memory is as she had her hyst when she was 27 and she is now almost 60.
Unread 10-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Had my pre-op Friday

No offence to your mil but I can't imagaine she was having sex at 3 days post-op!!!!
33 years ago hysts. were done abdominally only and the hospital stay was much longer than it is now --- more likely 6-7 nights.
That seems pretty incredible to me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register