New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy

Unread 03-08-2006, 06:13 AM
New here, 31 and having a hysterectomy

I have seen several people recommend peppermint tea to help alliviate some of the gas pains. I'm not sure if it works for everyone or not, but I'll be finding some to take with me next week. I had some discomfort from gas after my c-sections, but walking seemed to help a lot.
I hope things go well for you. It sounds like you deserve some good news.
Kimberley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 06:25 AM

Angie,
I am 31 too, will be 32 in May. There are a lot of us on here I have found out!

Your post says it all, at least you will not be spending one minute wondering if this is the right choice! Bless your heart.

I asked my dr. about Gas-X, I will see what he says. I did find some relief from it post lap. But, maybe it was the placebo effect! I still bought some and some peppermint tea, it can't hurt! I am going to try to walk as much as possible, I hate that shoulder pain more than anything!!
Hugs,
Betts
Unread 03-08-2006, 06:32 AM

I had alot of gas starting about 8 hours after my surgery last week, but the pains associated with it were minimal. Someone on this site suggested that we try to forego the use of straws (you take in air as you're drinking) and I chose to heed her advice. Essentially, with the help of regular senekot (stool softener) pills, I found the gas to be short-lived. The nurses also DID have me walking (at midnite!) 6 hours after surgery. It surely helped.

You have been thru heck. You're going to appreciate, nearly immediately, the effects that this will have on you - physically & mentally. Hang in there! Spend lots of time here. I did! - connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2006, 07:25 AM

Good luck! What a lot to go through.

For your ovaries, make sure you ask the surgeon, and strongly consider doing whatever you can to keep at least the one functioning ovary. Since you're young, most surgeons will do whatever they can to keep an ovary, but make sure you talk to her or him about it. Going into sudden menopause at 31 is hardly what you need on top of everything else (and even after menopause, your ovaries continue secreting hormones including testosterone, which are important for all sorts of things.)

For your gas, a full bowel prep may help. For other abdominal surgeries, research has found that chewing gum (after surgery) is a big help, so that can't hurt and might help too. Phyzyme is a stronger form of Gas X, and you can find it on the same shelf in drugstores.
Unread 03-08-2006, 07:26 AM

Thank you everyone. It has been a very difficult couple of months here especially, but I have some closure to that now, having decided to have the hyst, and getting the support from my husband, which I did not think I would get. Took him awhile.....

I am looking forward to having this behind me, not being "afraid" of my uncomfortable periods anymore, and being able to wear clothes that fit.

There's an annual thing where I ride on horse patrol every year...I would usually rather die than miss it, but this year decided I will have to give up my spot there and just get this done. I'm a little nervous about the "unexpected" as far as "how" I will feel after I'm done and healed...but am trying to read stories from others on how it changed their life. I'm not scared about the surgery. I've had 4 in the last 4 years, it's just not scary to me...getting "used" to it. But AM worried about the "feeling" afterwards....a month later, a year later....10 years later....

Thanks
Angie
Unread 03-08-2006, 07:36 AM

Thank you Tiva, I'll surely even try the gum. I will have a bowel prep before surgery, I did with my last one too, had pills, liquid to drink, and an enema the night before surgery. Until I had my second surgery, I apparently didn't have it explained to me that they blow your abdomen up with gas....so it all makes a lot of sense as to why these pains happen. Since it doesn't seem to really be "in" the bowel, a nurse told me that Gas X or something similar probably wouldn't help. It didn't in my case. But will ask before surgery and also take in all the recommendations here. Even with 20-some staples in my belly, it was the gas pain that was extremely bothersome, not the pain itself.

I am going to call the clinic today, and ask about my ovaries. At first I didn't really know to ask, and my last ultrasound (two weeks ago) I just didn't think about it...I had so many other questions.

Good to have found this place. People can be supportive the best they can, but sure nice to have people who really KNOW what we're going through.

Angie
Unread 03-08-2006, 09:14 AM

Angie, I bet you will feel so much better after your surgery! And the peace of mind alone, is a big plus to me, just knowing that you won't be back in there in another 6 months for the same thing all over again should be great to know! I just turned 32 and am 16 days away from my trip to the castle and I can't wait!! I'm looking at it as how to be able to get on with the rest of my life without having to schedule life around the one week out of the month when I'm pretty sure I won't be bleeding! I'm a little worried about the gas, too, but, I'm on Welbutrin, which kind of increases the amount of gas a person passes anyway, so I'm hoping that it might help after surgery with getting my bowels back in working order!

And, I have to say, Elizabeth, I needed the laugh you gave me when you said....."I didn't do too badly after this surgery, but there have been lots of other times where I have prayed, "My kingdom for a fart..." " *thanks*
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:23 AM

Thanks Amy!

Just got my paperwork in the mail today....and says surgical procedure is "laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy" Then says "Possible bilateral salpingo oophorectomy." Wonder what would make the ovaries stay in or come out!? Jeez....really nice my doc has prepared me for everything.....but then again, I never knew to ask....(I did call, and am waiting for a call back!)

Angie
Unread 03-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Good grief! My mum says 'that which does not break you can only make you stronger'..I presume you're a superheroine?! You really deserve to get this sorted once and for all. After all my laparoscopies/dnc's/procedures I got really bad gas..mine tended to settle over my shoulder blades. I don't like herbal teas, but my mum (a hyster sister herself!) got me some peppermint cordial instead...I had a glass on hand 24/7 and, along with pacing a furrow in the carpet, it really helped. Good luck with everything. You'll be back in the horse patrol next year! (I'm hoping to ride again by the end of summer )
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:20 PM

My doc told me that we needed to prepare for the worst, i.e., my fibroids were so dominating that they couldn't even see the fallopian or ovaries to see if they were okay. She assured me that once (and yes, you MUST have a doc who you trust) she was inside & seeing it all, we'd know if we could keep one or both ovaries and if there was any endometriosis. She told me she'd be filing it with the insurance company as "possible to take out the ovaries" just in case. I think it's standard.

But it still warrants you having a very serious conversation with your doc about keeping (or not) your ovaries and what you've decided should happen with YOUR body once the doc is in there seeing what can't be seen otherwise. He'she should explain to you every eventuality. - connie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register