Scheduled dVH/RALH PLEASE HELP: Post DaVinci Pain--Only Advil or Tylenol? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PLEASE HELP: Post DaVinci Pain--Only Advil or Tylenol? PLEASE HELP: Post DaVinci Pain--Only Advil or Tylenol?

Unread 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
PLEASE HELP: Post DaVinci Pain--Only Advil or Tylenol?

Hello, lovely ladies!

I am scheduled for my DaVinci Friday morning at 9:45am. I admit that as the date draws near, I am getting nervous.

My biggest concern is PAIN. I have seen a lot of posts stating that doctors had patients on only mortin or tylenol. This frightens me like nobody's business. How am I going to handle post-surgical pain with just tylenol?

I've been taking Lortab for my endo pain, and it barely even touches it, so how will motrin or tylenol alone be enough to manage post-surgical pain?

Can anyone share advice/stories with me? I am terrified, y'all. Like, straight-up terrified.

I am no stranger to surgery, BTW: I've had two laparatomies for cyst removal, a C section, two LEEP/Cones, and like a gazillion laparoscopies for cyst/endo/adhesion removal... and that's just on the lady business. I've also had my gallbladder removed, a knee scope, and my tonsils out last year. All of those surgeries involved more serious medications for post-surgical pain management.

I'm 28, so I know I'm relatively young to the hysterectomy game, but I think proper pain management is of paramount concern regardless of age.

Will someone PLEASE offer some advice/encouragement before I go insane?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Re: PLEASE HELP: Post DaVinci Pain--Only Advil or Tylenol?

What is your doctor like? Its more likely you will have good pain management than just Tylenol or motrin. If your doctor isn't really big into pain meds you may have an issue but I would discuss it with the doc and let him know your fears.
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:17 PM

My doctor is awesome. He's very understanding and kind. The nurse assured me today that they were going to take good care of me.

I guess I am just scared.

Is that normal, though? Is DaVinci still considered major surgery even though it's a robot?

I am terrified that I'll be told, "The DaVinci is a minimally invasive procedure, so you shouldn't have any pain." after my operation. It's irrational, but it's my biggest fear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Whether its done by DaVinci or not it is still major surgery.... MAJOR so advocate for yourself if they do tell you that. I am still waiting for my Date with DaVinci. I have to have a Sonohysterography on January 4th then my appt with urologist on the 7th so I am really hoping I get this done before my birthday on the 18th.
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Would it be safe to assume that these cases I've read about with just advil or tylenol for post-surgical pain relief are NOT the norm?

Because that would make me feel SO much better.

My doctor really hasn't said anything about it, so my fear is simply a result of reading other's horror stories.
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM

I'd say that just Motrin and or Advil Tylenol is not the norm. Having said that, ibuprofen is all I have needed so far. I'm 29, had da Vinci total hysterectomy exactly 24 hours ago, and honestly the Advil is working well for me. BUT the dr did give me Percocet which is a "as needed" basis. I took it last night to sleep, cause I think hormones and stress kept me awake last night after the surgery. And I took it again this morning to get rid if some mild abdominal pain (like I'd been doing crunches non stop) and the Percocet hasn't really worked. Just dizzy and light headed this far.

So I'd say yes you def need a strong pain med for those just in case situations. Otherwise, stick with what works be it lesser meds.

This surgery has been not horrible so far. In fact, my gallbladder removal 3 years ago caused far more pain. And then I had Vicodin and that helped more than the Percocet. But everyone's medication reactions are different.

Hope this helps, I rambled a bit, blame the meds, lol
Laura
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM

I had a TVH, and a davinci BSO. For the hyst I was given my post op pain med prescription at my pre op visit so I'd have it, and you might want to ask for that, to ease your mind. I didn't actually take the narcs after the TVH but I was given, and did take, Vicodin after my davinci procedure. And I believe it's standard to get post op narcotic meds after any type hyst, but some (like me) just don't end up needing them. Do discuss specific meds with your Dr. There may be some that are anti-pain med, but a discussion should tell you yes or no right away.
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM

In the hospital they will give you some pretty good pain meds to get the initial pain under control and then to maintain. It took about 10 minutes in post op to get me comfy. Then I was fine. I can tell you when I first work up I was at a 9 - 10 on the pain scale, after that no more than a 4. I came home on percocet and only took it in case for 2 days then as needed. To be honest, I think I only needed like twice and only took motrin 3 times. This is still MAJOR surgery, but with the DaVinci the pain is less. Hope this helps.
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM

My doctor let me know at my per op appt that she would be sending a prescription home with me. In the hospital they kept me on toradol. I was sent home with an RX for oxycodone. I only took them for 4 days. Then aleve for any headaches after that.

Talk to your doctor. Make sure that you're getting something for the pain afterwards. I can't imagine that you wouldn't. I was also told to get some colace for easier bowel movements. You'll want something like that. Ask your doctor what he recommends.

Good luck!
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Thank you so much for the replies! Y'all have helped to ease my mind more than you could ever know. After years of suffering, the last thing I want is to be in a situation where no one believes I'm in pain. Been there, done that, you know?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register