Pre Surgery nerves ? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre Surgery nerves ? Pre Surgery nerves ?

Unread 10-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Re: Pre Surgery nerves ?

I scheduled my surgery for December 17th and since then I have been a nervous wreck and I can't stop crying. I know this is eight weeks away but I needed the time to prepare myself mentally. I thought that if I watched the videos of the surgery on you tube that would ease my mind a little; however, that did not help. What can I do to make myself feel better until that time. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM

First off you have to tell yourself this is all a good thing. You need your health as good as possible. Keep yourself busy. Believe me, I had a ton of nerves before my TAH/BSO.

In hindsight, I can say it was not anywhere near as bad as I thought. Your mind is going to play games on you no doubt. But you have to have all positive thoughts. To be honest, yes, I dealt with some pain right after the surgery but I was too doped up to remember the pain itself. LOL

Getting in and out of bed will be a challenge the first few days but you will find your way. When the doctor tells you to walk, it is very important you walk. It will help with the gas pains and for a quicker recovery. To tell you the truth, of all things, I think the gas pains were the worst part of the whole thing which came as a complete surprise to me. But your doctor/staff will give you plenty of meds for that. Don't be afraid to use any meds that they give you. I just had a problem with the pain medication that it made me nauseaus so they cut back on the dosage. After that, it was much better.
I had to wait at least a month for my surgery also. I read as much as possible on it. This site is the best thing. Any questions or concerns, come here!
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:31 AM

One other thing, I promise you...it will all be a memory before you know it and I promise you..it is very worthwhile!!
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:12 PM

I understand your jitters. My surgery is next Wednesday the 30th and I have to say I am getting a bit nervous. I have had 5 laps for my endo in the last 20 yrs so not sure why but I think it's just normal. Maybe I was like this with all of them and just don't remember. But in any case, hang in there. It will be here before you know it and will all be just a memory
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:19 PM

I was really nervous when I was first scheduled, but I'm finding the closer the date comes the calmer I am.

Personally I just channeled all my nervous energy in to preparing. Getting stuff in order at work, making lists (shopping, tasks, questions...everything has a list) and preparing and freezing meals. I even cleaned the closet in the family room - which doesn't technically need to be done before a hysterectomy. I found staying busy with an eye to making life easier post-op for me, my family, and work is very soothing.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:30 AM

I did the same thing Pink...you need to have everything done before your surgery. You won't be able to do much for awhile after the surgery.
But take advantage of the time off and find ways to pamper yourself. I am 5 weeks post op and doing fairly well. The biggest thing I am dealing with these days is how easily I tire but outside of that, pretty darn good!
I go for a walk pretty much every day and every day or so I push myself just a little further. Of course, I listen to my body. I can tell when I am just starting at that point of needing to turn around.
Your health is the most important thing!!! Do whatever your doctor tells you.
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Pre Surgery nerves ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireLady143 View Post
First off you have to tell yourself this is all a good thing. You need your health as good as possible. Keep yourself busy. Believe me, I had a ton of nerves before my TAH/BSO.

In hindsight, I can say it was not anywhere near as bad as I thought. Your mind is going to play games on you no doubt. But you have to have all positive thoughts. To be honest, yes, I dealt with some pain right after the surgery but I was too doped up to remember the pain itself. LOL

Getting in and out of bed will be a challenge the first few days but you will find your way. When the doctor tells you to walk, it is very important you walk. It will help with the gas pains and for a quicker recovery. To tell you the truth, of all things, I think the gas pains were the worst part of the whole thing which came as a complete surprise to me. But your doctor/staff will give you plenty of meds for that. Don't be afraid to use any meds that they give you. I just had a problem with the pain medication that it made me nauseaus so they cut back on the dosage. After that, it was much better.
I had to wait at least a month for my surgery also. I read as much as possible on it. This site is the best thing. Any questions or concerns, come here!
I really appreciate your comforting words and you are so right I need to focus more on how having this surgery will be good for my health but it will be good for my family as well. Thanks again.
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Pre Surgery nerves ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTech View Post
I was really nervous when I was first scheduled, but I'm finding the closer the date comes the calmer I am.

Personally I just channeled all my nervous energy in to preparing. Getting stuff in order at work, making lists (shopping, tasks, questions...everything has a list) and preparing and freezing meals. I even cleaned the closet in the family room - which doesn't technically need to be done before a hysterectomy. I found staying busy with an eye to making life easier post-op for me, my family, and work is very soothing.
Great advice! I hadn't really thought much about post-op and the things that need to be done beforehand. This is a great site and I truly appreciate all of the support I am getting from my SISTAS....I am starting to feel better.
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:40 PM

you are welcome curryk
Just some advice...take a small pillow with you. I can tell you when you cough, it will hurt. So taking a pillow and pressing it against your tummy will be a big help. Someone here suggested a backscratcher. It was wonderful. Not only to scratch wherever but it ended up being like an extended arm since nothing of mine never seemed nearby. Some people suggested magazines, books but to tell you the truth, I was happy dozing in and out.
Don't be afraid to tell your anestheologist any of your concerns. And don't be afraid to discuss anything that is on your mind with your doctor. I was very lucky with the hospital I stayed in as the staff was very informative. Get used to them taking your temperature and blood pressure alot. Again, all for yourown good.
But I cannot begin to tell you that it really was not near any what I thought the post op would be. Pains yes but that's what the meds are for and of course it is major surgery so that is only expected!
Plus, I can't believe my surgery was 9/19...time has already flown by!
It will be here and gone before you know it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register