Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video

Unread 04-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Re: Op sched for 4/20. Terrified after seeing HERS video

oh man, I understand the sentiment of HERS but they're really extreme on some views. My uterus is literally falling out of my body and they suggest I just use a pessary for life. I also have adenomyosis, they suggest birth control for the next 30 years. No thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Isn't a HERS type group totally anti hysterectomy? I also read things before that scared me out of making the choice that I may ultimately have to make - the hysterectomy. I too have had a Myocmectomy and now and also riddled with fibroids large and small in and outside of the uterus. I have talked to women that are happy with the results of getting all of that over with. I plan to do what I have to but I too am very unsure of it all.
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM

Hi twiceasniceinma, I had a SAH and don't regret it. I also travel for my job and had resorted to buying nothing but black- black pants, black underware, black car interior to hide any potential leaks. And no matter how prepared I thought I was, there always seemed to be some Aunt Flo mishap that sent me to the nearest store for some period-related supply.
I was expecting a horrible surgical experience (thanks to the internet research I had done) and was pleasantly surprised. I had so little pain I had the pain pump removed the morning after surgery. I only needed a few of the Vicodin I had been prescribed for pain, over the counter pain meds were enough. I had worse periods then this surgery (pain-wise). I was very fortunate, my recovery was without challenges and I went back to work after only 1 month off work.
That being said, I wouldn't recommend only taking 1 month off. Though I was able to do my job (also in sales), I was very, very tired. And had an 8 pound lifting weight restriction, so I learned to ask and tip a lot when I was traveling. I had Initially asked (and was approved) for 6 weeks and chose to not cancel two speaking engagements that had been booked prior so I cut my time off short (better to ask for the max time off upfront as it is easier to return early then to extend time off). I wore my belly binder, even under my dress clothes and returned to my hotel room to rest as needed.
Please be sure to take the time off to heal, as they say " you only get one chance". Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2012, 03:22 PM

My surgery is approaching; April 24. I have been trying to decide whether to keep the ovaries if possible or just take everything. I am 47 and I have no signs of menopause. I have a large tumor that has pulled everything over to the left and a cyst on the left ovary. I will want HRT, if it will keep me balanced and keep the juices flowing to stay as close to how I currently am. I know my ovaries are not gonna last forever and HRT is coming whether the ovaries stay or go, but it is so hard to know which way would be best. Scare tactics like those videos that seek to steer you to their own agenda help no one in a situation where everything needs to be considered and we need facts not fear strategies to influence our decision. Thank you for your post.
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielheart View Post
I had a TAH 3 months ago and it went just fine!
Another FibroidFriend on HysterSisters! My goodness, there are a lot of us on here.

Thank you so much for the support. I'm feeling better and better about this...

T minus 6 days.... to a TAH. My dr told me on Fri there's a chance I need an SO too and might lose my ovaries. So I might have a TAHSO. Hope not, but hearing that many of you don't have your ovaries and are doing fine gives me hope...
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:35 PM

I had total LVAH done in late February, after 25 years of related health issues. I come from a family where my mom and two sister also had related problems, they were all my current age when they did theres. My mom had total, no HRT; her older sister had total, with HRT, and her younger sister had everything, but ovaries, no HRT. It seems to me that my moms older sister has had the best outcome over the years. I'm doing very well so far with everything out and on HRT, I'm without menstrual bleeding, pain, and I feel very "level."
*as for procedure, I was scared too. Ask your surgeon and nurses a lot of questions, remember that you will be under general anesthesia and won't feel a thing, and take advantage of the medications and rest time you get in hospital facility. Another thing to remember is that the goal is to improve your overall life, if you are tired of bleeding and excessively, this most likely will solve your issue(s).
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug00 View Post
oh man, I understand the sentiment of HERS but they're really extreme on some views. My uterus is literally falling out of my body and they suggest I just use a pessary for life. I also have adenomyosis, they suggest birth control for the next 30 years. No thanks.
Oh my!!! I would say no thanks too!

I have no prolapse of my uterus. I had a Csection years ago, but no structural issues other than those caused by my huge fibroids. (pushing on my bladder and my bowel)
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceasniceinma View Post
Oooo Thank you so much for your support. That means a lot. I've ruined multiple suits, chairs, even the seat in my car. I'll think I'm fine... may have just changed a pad... and then WHOOOSH! Embarassing and humiliating. I'm so ready for it to be over.

I'm scared they will take my ovaries, even with the PCOS. I'm afraid of HRT primarily. My insurance won't pay for bioidentical hormones and I've heard so many scary things about the synthetics. Are you using hormones?
I am, I'm using Estradiol. My Dr started me on it day 2 (0.5ng). I had my ovaries removed because of a strong family history of Ovarian CA. My mom past away a yr ago from it. My CA 125 levels were elevated n double. They didn't find any tumors/mass, but I wanted them out. I feel like I had an option my mom or grandmother didn't have. I havnt had any problems with side effects. I got my prescrition filled at Costco, NOT using my insurance and it was only $10.84. I always use them for prescriptions, they are cheaper than my co-payment at drug stores. Try Sams or Costco. I normally call the pharmacy and ask for the price.
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylumps View Post
Isn't a HERS type group totally anti hysterectomy? I also read things before that scared me out of making the choice that I may ultimately have to make - the hysterectomy. I too have had a Myocmectomy and now and also riddled with fibroids large and small in and outside of the uterus. I have talked to women that are happy with the results of getting all of that over with. I plan to do what I have to but I too am very unsure of it all.
That's my issue too. Fibroids IN my uterus... in my uterus WALL... and Outside. Huge... pounds and pounds worth. Pushing on my bladder and my bowels and in general uncomfortable...

I'll be on here after my surgery, and so I will post how I do and if I think it's worth getting rid of the fibroids. My fibroids cause awful, painful and humiliating bleeding, and so I really can't wait to get rid of them.

That said... There's a LovelyLadyLumps blogger that I love that talks about plus size fashion. Curious if you are one and the same, and if so, I'm a fan.
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatziLKF View Post
Hi twiceasniceinma, I had a SAH and don't regret it. I also travel for my job and had resorted to buying nothing but black- black pants, black underware, black car interior to hide any potential leaks. .....I had worse periods then this surgery (pain-wise). I was very fortunate, my recovery was without challenges and I went back to work after only 1 month off work.....That being said, I wouldn't recommend only taking 1 month off. Though I was able to do my job (also in sales), I was very, very tired. And had an 8 pound lifting weight restriction, so I learned to ask and tip a lot when I was traveling. ..... I wore my belly binder, even under my dress clothes and returned to my hotel room to rest as needed.
Please be sure to take the time off to heal, as they say " you only get one chance". Good luck!
Wow, you gave me a lot to think about. I put in another post that my surgery is this Fri and my bosses want me back on Monday................................................... I may not even be out of the hospital by then!!! They are hiring me an assistant to help me ... but I'm completely freaked out about going back to work so soon. I went back to work 3 weeks after having my daughter via Csection and I thought I'd never make it I was so exhausted...

........ Even tho I'm feeling much more comfortable with the whole surgery thing... I'm worried about my recuperation or lack thereof.

Thank you for the advice!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register