Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 - Page 107 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

Unread 08-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

I, too, am a little apprehensive about going back to work. I work in the special education department and I will be on my feet most of the day. My supervisor recommended that my doctor state part-time only for the first week back to school. He, being a man, said "I don't see why you need part-time." I don't have the luxury to sit down or rest if I am tired. Luckily for me, he is on vacation and the nurse in the office is really nice. I asked her to indicate part-time on my FLMA form! So we'll see. I am also a little nervous about being bumped in the halls as classes change. I will have to figure something out.

Has anyone taken a long car ride yet? I was invited to my niece's cookout on Saturday. The ride is 3 hours there and 3 hours back -- that's without traffic and hopefully no construction along the way (bumps and potholes are not my friends). There are family members out there that don't understand that sitting for even an hour is very uncomfortable. I was thinking about taking a pain med, but then I would be loopy all day -- I'm a lightweight ! Am I being a baby about not wanting to go?
Moe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM

Moe, Couldn't help but send a note back to you. No you are not being a baby! But lets first get back to your boss..... You need to do what is best for your body....not his. This may be inconvenient for him but...you had major surgery and if you need to rest,,,you need to rest! I think if you push too fast to be back full time you might wind up feeling really tired and needing to take time off...that would be worse for him!
I can understand your apprehension about the school setting. I also work in a school (high school secretary) and I've already decided to stay out of the hallway in between classes for at least a month!

As for the long car ride.... I don't know what type of hyst you had. Mine was a LSH (which is much less invasive so the recovery is faster than other types) I went on vacation with my family to Hilton Head SC which is a 15 hour ride...we took 2 days to do it and I was fine (this was 17 days after my surgery!) The worst of it was just the usual stiffness so we stopped whenever I needed to get out and walk for a few minutes. Again...I had laparoscopic so no big incision just 3 small ones. so I didn't have a problem.

The real answer to your question has to be to listen to what your body and your gut (not trying to be funny) tell you. Every woman heals differently and setbacks are lousy... Someone on this site responded once saying "This is your time to heal...so make sure you take the time" I find myself remembering that quite often when I do something I shouldnt do.
Hope this helps or at least makes you feel better.

Eileen (aka Livestronggal)
Unread 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM

I wish we had storms here. We are sooooooooo in a drought. It's horrid. My favorite time of year is when there is stormy weather. We are about 3-5 inches in the hole for rain and we were down 20+ inches for snow. It's sad.

Yes, restaurants and some other foods can give ya stomach aches. My DD who is 28 is always saying she is sick and she eats food left out overnite (ugh) and at lots of restaurants. I like restaurant food but I pick and choose.

I hope you all continue to heal and yes, Capt. Crunch, I hope your tummy is getting back to normal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Bopper, I like the speed bump analogy! Simplyme, glad you feel you are making progress. Way to go everyone. I survived 3 hours at work this am. and now just did four laps in the humid air. I don't think I'll make 10 laps in this ugly weather.............it is just too hot and too humid for me. Tonite is National Night Out..........all we are having is desserts, and I don't think that is the best food for healing a body that's already too high in cholesterol.

Take care everyone as you continue to heal. Speed bumps, yes. Excellent analogy!
Unread 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM

P.S. Re: going back to work. Yes, it is hard. And I think about all my dreams for other careers even though I've been teaching now for over 20. I always dreamt of other things. The surgery gives a person time for reflection. I'd say if anyone wants to switch, use the at home time to do research, create a resume, think seriously about it all...........and why not?

I agree that long car rides..........stretching is important. Last night when I picked up a DD from a friend's (and got lost along the way and don't have a cell so thank goodness SOME gas stations still have pay phones) my abdominal area would get 'knotty' when i went around some curves when roads fed into each other. Ouch. And going to school pulling/pushing doors brought out some new quirky little pains. It's like getting to know one's body all over again.

Take care everyone............................E.

P.S. good luck to those who are getting their path reports this week.
55/TVH/CIN3/CIS good path report
Unread 08-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Live,
I thought i was the only LSH girl in here. I was asking about LSH'rs the other day. I told the ladies here that it is less invasive and recovery is as little as 10 days. We still have to be careful since inside we all were bumped around. My dr. told me at my first 2wk post op to listen to my body and to get some merderma. of course, no baths, sex or heavy lifting.

I want to go away this weekend to NC (2.5hr trip) with no traffic, but my sister will drive. I was so tired from the cook out for my dad's 80th b-day that I am just feeling better today. I am due to go back to the dr. Friday and see about a release for next wk. I have changed my appt to Tuesday and will go back to work Wed. I walk 7 blks to/from my bldg for free parking. I work in the school system too. Public schools in the central office though. We are there 12 months.
Unread 08-07-2007, 11:36 AM
HRT v Herbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Lady
Hi all, It's been 5 weeks today and I am so grateful for the positive outcomes from my surgery. My thoughts are with you all as you struggle to get your life's back in order. Had to call the doctor today. Still struggling with the hormone patches (its been 2 now). They break down my skin. Looks like they will be putting me on the oral ones. I am 53 years old and was premenopausal. Has anyone heard about NOT being put on hormones post TAH? With some family risk factors and no periods since last Oct. I was suprised. I have an apt. next thursday and will ask my doctor but just wanted a poll of the "sisters". Continued healing to each of you.
Hi Boss Lady,
I was well into menopause before my TAH and was trying to avoid using HRT because of all the bad press. Christine Northrup's book, THE WISDOM OF MENOPAUSE was a big help to me as I was working my way through all the information about herbal remedies v. HRT. I find that using black cohosh (Remifemin) and a soy protein drink (Revival) help with the hot flashes although not all the time. Were you having any symptoms of menopause before your operation? If not, and you hadn't had a period since October, it might not be a bad idea to just try going without the HRT and see what happens. Many of my friends don't have any menopause symptoms at all, especially those on Prozac (which is also supposed to help although they don't know why). Unfortunately, it seems to be genetic in my family (on my mother's side) to have severe hot flashes. My doctor (who took me off the herbal remedies before surgery) said to go back on them and then we might talk about HRT in 3 months after we see where my symptoms are after my hormones settle down. I should add that my Mom has been taking HRT for 30+ years and is doing just fine. So I guess it's just finding out what works for you. Good luck with your appointment on Thursday.
Unread 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Relief,

Happy anniversary. My BF and I shared ours on July 26th. Couldn't do the X thing. But we went out to dinner (uno's) and went back to his place and had some champagne. I got sick.

U not driving yet? Did you have the TAH?
Unread 08-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Hi Livestronggirl --
Oh my, it's my doctor that doesn't see why I can't return to work full-time -- my boss is wonderful. SHE recommended my coming back part-time.

I am in awe that you went on a vacation --- I had a TAH on the 9th with total reconstruction of EVERYTHING. I was feeling great today, had a senior moment and picked up a bushel of wet towels. How many ways can one say OUCH! I know I am going to pay for it later cause I am so sore now. No need to respond to my dementia -- the pain brought me back to reality all on it's own!

Have a fabulous day,
Moe
Unread 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Stick with your Supervisor!

Oops.. Sorry I read that wrong. How weird for your Dr. to not give you as much time as you need...So glad your boss is great..
After reading your info... it's no wonder your not ready for a big trip. You had a lot of things done! I'm feeling that my procedure was pretty simple compared to most others on this site.
I'm again fortunate (not as far as a paycheck though) to be working 10 months...I purposely scheduled this surgery for July so I could close out the school year and luckily everything went well and I was able to have this laparoscopically. So I go back the very end of August and I'm guessing I'll be fine by then.
Enjoy your weekend. And take care of your healing self!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register