Are you taking it easy enough post-op? - Page 29 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you taking it easy enough post-op? Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Unread 01-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Re: Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

it feels wonderful when you can start doing days w/o pain.i thought i was addicted to motrin for a while.even at almost 11 weeks i will have small twinges of pain.i dont know if it was this post or not but i totally agree that 6 week mark isnt magic # its more like 3 month mark.got rid of most belly pain now ankle is acting up from old sprain injury.if its not one thing,its another.but belly is feeling much better though.maybe endo wont rear its ugly head back up.lol. they're wanting to rid me of my insurance so i gotta do a bunch of B.S. stuff monday cause i need insurance if my ovaries do fail.it stinks when i have barely enough energy to work 6 days a week.i feel like robot.
how much do clones cost?at this point would give away house and all possessions for 1. lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2012, 04:54 AM

Definitely wish money weren't a part of the equation - 6 weeks with no household income (DH was laid off several months ago) isn't pretty, From what I could decypher on the disability paperwork, I will probably get 4 weeks of some percentage of my salary eventually, but it's not here yet.

I got halfway through week 5 before feeling like I might be able to return to work at the 6-week mark. I walked in feeling confident, but by the end of that first week (only 17 actual work hours) I can agree that more time off would have been a good idea.

The only good thing about struggling through those hours was letting co-workers see it IS a struggle and the past weeks have NOT been a 'vacation'! Yeah, I don't normally seek pity, but now I am happy for all the sympathy I can get.

Nobody should expect us to be at 100% in those first few weeks back. I have calculated the "40% recovered at 6 weeks, 80% at 6 months", broken it down and posted on my desk calendar in increments how I'll be doing from month to month. I will try to remember, when anyone asks how I'm doing, to point at the number. 'Nuff said!
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Well, I am feeling like it is going to be tough to work a full day on Tuesday, but have to try it. My unemployment benefits will be reinstated when my doctor clears me to work on Mon. (about 3 weeks left of that) and, even though it's less than what I used to make before being laid off, at least it will be something. Yesterday afternoon I had to take a nap. Hubby and I had supper out with a friend (we had a gift card--hurray!) Couldn't go to sleep at 11:00, so watched 2 of the first season shows of "Grey's". No pain today, but swelly belly. Am going to try to walk 1/4 mile today since we still have no snow (we had a couple of inches, but it melted right away). Weird winter, but good for me, since it's not icy!
I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks to all of you for your stories and encouragement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2012, 10:01 AM

I am back to work "desk duty" at 3 weeks and am exhausted at the end of the day. Insomnia is still an issue! I wish I could have taken the entire 6 weeks off - but already out of time! Our townships Short Term Disabilty is such that you have to be off 30 days (not including your days off) before you get your 60%!! So esentially my surgery was 1/3 - I would have had to have gone til 2/11 before my std kicked in! I was out of time (sick) on 1/20!!!
Wishing I was independently wealthy and could not worry about the bills!!
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marycate20 View Post
i am back to work "desk duty" at 3 weeks and am exhausted at the end of the day. Insomnia is still an issue! I wish i could have taken the entire 6 weeks off - but already out of time! Our townships short term disabilty is such that you have to be off 30 days (not including your days off) before you get your 60%!! So esentially my surgery was 1/3 - i would have had to have gone til 2/11 before my std kicked in! I was out of time (sick) on 1/20!!!
Wishing i was independently wealthy and could not worry about the bills!!
me too!
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:39 PM

I am almost 8 weeks post op after TAH and I have been back to my part time RN job which has been exhausting, mentally and physically. Also, I have been trying to resume my regular exercise routine of running 6-7 miles,elipitical, biking, etc. This is what I have always done, in addition to being Mom of 6, wife, volunteer, etc. I am still trying to get back to what my "old self" always did and cared about. I feel pressure to be that person I used to be .But I am constantly reminded to "slow down" by the little "messages" body sends me. Eventually I will get there. My DH is supportive, but got laid off 2 months ago and spends almost 100% of his day looking for a new job. Which, if he does not get, I will be working 2 jobs and have "more pressure" Yikes!!
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:57 PM

Sisters: Got all dressed up for our banquet tonight - made the mistake of putting on nylons ... Should of gone with thigh highs!! I am sore and have a swollen belly!!
I am pushing myself too much!! Ugh! I want to be better!!
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:02 PM

Mary cate. Kudos to you for even doing that much! Hope you enjoyed your night out. I have hit my emotional low today. I tried to do a little more today, walked 10 min outside, did stairs a few times....did not need Advil til late afternoon...then cramping and big blood clot and bleeding tonight. It stopped but freaks me out. So back to couch duty...can't imagine being ready to back to work in 2 weeks if cant even do that much yet. Grrrrrrr. On a good note, my house is vacuumed and I have clean sheets on my bed.
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks!! It felt good to be dressed up with hair done and make-up on. Never would have thought that the pressure of nylons would hurt!
We had people over before and after the baquet - I quickly changed into sweats!!
My floors are now a mess from people spilling stuff ... But DH is gonna run the new FloorMate since its so easy!
I did get a ton of compliments about how much weight I have lost - its really not from the surgery though - I resumed ny Herbal Life shakes again and that has helped!
Today is going to be a day of feet up til my neices soccer game (indoor) and then a family dinner at my sis's house!!
Keep resting ladies .. Sorry to the ones w/out incomes ... I know it sucks that's why I went back!! I wish I could have stayed home!!
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:47 AM

I truly glad to know I'm not the only one. My 6 weeks is February 8th. I definitely do not feel I'm ready. The first time I went to Walmart last Tuesday I was so exhausted and to go back to work, I know I'm gonna be so tired. I've been trying to walk more but I'm so tired afterwards. I'm praying my doctor will extend me out for another couple weeks on February 6th. I just can't do it!!! I'm still dealing with insomnia and waking up in a little pain. I'm definitely not back on my schedule. So I will pray some more, and hopefully I'll get those extra couple weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register