4 Weeks and feeling yucky | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 Weeks and feeling yucky 4 Weeks and feeling yucky

Unread 12-23-2007, 09:03 AM
4 Weeks and feeling yucky

hi good folks...

i know there are some of you feeling absolutey fabulous and energetic at 4 weeks...and i'm not. i know we all heal at different paces, but i just wanted to check in. a 4 walk block is too much for me; doing dishes is too much for me; i have a good deal of back pain...the incision pain comes and goes and is mostly on both ends. i am weepy a LOT, especially when i overdo it.

i thought i'd be further along than this. my sister is telling me what i'm going through is normal; my mom is telling me to call the doctor (um, can you say holidays?). just wondering what you all think about this. i'm not too worried, mostly just discouraged.

hattie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2007, 09:22 AM

It's true that we all heal differently. If you can get a hold of your doc or another on call doc, it might put your mind at ease. However, you should continue to listen to your body and rest when you're tired. You won't heal if you're exhausted.
Unread 12-23-2007, 09:23 AM

You said it yourself--4 weeks out--they tell you it takes 6-8 weeks to heal and your insides take a lot longer--you had major surgery--it taks a while to feel normal--not to mention the holidays are stressful and busy on their own! Heal at your pace--DO NOT compare your recovery to anyone elses!!!Take it slow and easy!!!! Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2007, 09:47 AM

HattieS-

I agree don't compare yourself to others. Our bodies let us know how much we can handle. If it is any consolation, I am healing slowly too. At my 6 week my Dr said I was way behind and it would be like another 6 weeks for me. Oh well - I keep thinking in this this too shall pass and soon enough it will be a distant memory and all the issues from the past that caused the surgery will be GONE!!

Big hugs,

Starbgirl
Unread 12-23-2007, 11:40 AM

I know my doctor told me that the majority of the pain will last for two weeks, but for the next 4 I would probably get up at 8 am, do whatever until 10 and feel like I need to take a nap and he is correct. Most of the pain is gone (most not all!!!) and I am tired all of the time. Luckily I have a great DH and he tells me to go to bed and sleep.
Unread 12-23-2007, 11:46 AM

I did not even get out of bed for 4 weeks because of the pain! I too am a wimp in that area and was so so scared of tearing the internal stitches. Except of course to go to the bathroom.
Then I got out of bed to go to my 4 week post op & I was released to go back to normal activites by the surgeon! She also told me no need to come back and see her (unless I had problems), just to do a 6 month follow up with my obgyn.
So I started to force myself up and do more activities, and it does get better. I am at post op week 8 on Monday and still have some jabbing pain in my right side near the crease of my leg when I over do it, but I have read so much about that on here that I know not to call the Dr for that.
I think I am about 3 weeks behind compared to alot of these sisters who are on here returning to work, jogging, etc
Unread 12-23-2007, 12:02 PM

HattieS -
I had my surgery the same day as yours. I feel better some days than others, but I overdid it last week and ended up on the couch for 2 days straight. Definately listen to your body. I don't really hurt most days unless I do too much, then I regret it! Then sometimes I can simply walk across the room and I feel those burning pains in one or both sides of my stomach. And I definately still feel very tired too! My husband is great about helping and taking care of me, but I feel so bad watching him do everything (He is a full time pastor, full time teacher, and we have 4 children ages 4 - 12 - we are foster parents) so I usually try to help out. I was sleeping fine until the past few days, now I am having trouble sleeping. I think everyone is different, and for me every day is different - some good, some not so good. I am with you on not feeling great - I really thought I would have more energy and be able to do more by this point.
Unread 12-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Hi Hattie!
I had my surgery the exact same day as you!!!! I did so much last week shopping and having lunch with friends and visiting people....I way overdid it. My stomach would be swollen by the end of the day, as well as my incision area. Now I am dealing with a little swelling in my perineum area. I have also been on the couch/ bed for the past couple of days. I have to go back to work Jan. 2 so I am really going to limit myself until then and let my kids wait on me more. I am going to try to walk to the block a couple of times a day, but no more shopping! Gotta get my strength up! Sorry you are having back pain, but I think all of this is normal. It is just hard to get over this! Take care of yourself, don't feel guilty about others helping out. Let us know how you get along!
Blessings.
Grace
Unread 12-23-2007, 01:08 PM

HattieS, hon, don't beat yourself up about it. Take things slow. Just because you can't walk 4 blocks today doesn't mean you can't do it tomorrow or the next day. You have to work up to it, not do it all in one fell swoop. My TAH was the same day as yours. Some days I'm brimming with energy, other days I just want to lounge all day. I take a nap every day then I'm awake til 3am. Yes, this time of year is a stressor without having had major surgery. Take it one day at a time and build up to it. And don't beat yourself up about it. You'll get there.
Unread 12-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanks so much everyone....you've provided just what I needed--encouragement to take things slowly and at my own pace. Even though I kinda knew that, it is good to have it reaffirmed. And yes, indeed, the holidays are stressful; I have my two elderly parents visiting to "take care" of me....and I'm probably doing more caretaking than I realize. I'm looking forward to them leaving...not for 4 more days...but then I feel like I'll be able to get back to the business of resting and taking care of myself FULL TIME and not part time.

Blessings on us all,
hattie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register